1994 ST1100 Waterpump

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Pic shown using a broom handle to assist pulling the carbs out of boots.
Yes, they do need to be pried off the boots, but be careful not to pry on any linkages. Getting them back on, with new boots, is relatively easy if you smear a bit of silicone grease on the new boots, then get one bank of the carbs lined up with the boots and push the whole unit straight down. They should pop right on.

EDIT: Make sure you note the position of the carb boot clamps before removal, as they will interfere with the choke linkage movement if they are wrongly positioned.

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
Yes, they do need to be pried off the boots, but be careful not to pry on any linkages. Getting them back on, with new boots, is relatively easy if you smear a bit of silicone grease on the new boots, then get one bank of the carbs lined up with the boots and push the whole unit straight down. They should pop right on.

EDIT: Make sure you note the position of the carb boot clamps before removal, as they will interfere with the choke linkage movement if they are wrongly positioned.
A shot of silicone spray inside each newly mounted carb boots works wonders for popping that carb bank back on the newly mounted carb boots;);)

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I just did all the coolant hoses/elbows/o rings on my '93. No need to pull the fuel tank (unless you want to). Leave cables connected until you pop the carbs off and you will have an easier time with the cables.

New carb boots are a must. Old ones will be rock hard. Snap a pic of the clamp orientations once the carbs are removed. Note there are locating "fingers" on the upper clamps.

Also be sure to replace the hose to the overflow tank! This one often dry rots and leaks.

There are a bunch of hoses in the V for the PAIR system. Not a problem if you pitch all of that! Block off plates are needed if you do.

Once the coolant items are replaced, make sure to check charging system connections for overheating or corrosion and address those issues. Regulators are hard to find used and IIRC Ma Honda is quite proud of them if she still has any!

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
A tip not mentioned: the carbs can be popped and moved to the left side and set on a towel on the frame, leaving the throttle cables alone/attached. BTDT when I replaced the under-carb coolant hoses the second time. The idle adjust cable might need to be carefully moved with the carbs if the fuel tank is left in. I can't remember what if anything needs to be done to the choke cable. HTH

Edit: coolant hoses R&R article in the ST1100 AOW: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3523

John

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
SIRepair:
What was the condition of your under the carbs hoses, O rings, and elbows (and at what mileage is your 93)? I only ask in that today, I did some inspections on my 94 (as best as I was able)- the visible portions of my hoses which I could not only see but also feel/ squeeze all felt ‘normal’ (not too soft and certainly not too brittle and no bulging). I could see about 1/3 of the hoses from the front of the carb bank (the hoses that run under the carbs) as well as the mains from/ to the radiator. They are all supple and no bulging. I didn’t pop off the carbs however, so I can’t see further down the line under the carbs, so no visualization of the elbows and rest of the 2 hoses). 33,300 miles...how concerned should I be? Also, I inspected the timing belt and that looked fine.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I can’t see further down the line under the carbs, so no visualization of the elbows and rest of the 2 hoses)
Since the fuel tank removal is an easy thing to do (if near empty), you could pull it and you will find there is a hole big enough to stick your head into to see those hoses, if you are a bit of a contortionist mind you, or easily get a look with a mirror.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Since the fuel tank removal is an easy thing to do (if near empty), you could pull it and you will find there is a hole big enough to stick your head into to see those hoses, if you are a bit of a contortionist mind you, or easily get a look with a mirror.

Not a bad idea...I’ll have to empty the full tank I now have to do that

OP
OP
Carb boots. overflow tube, have been ordered. Thanks siepair,John,Bush, for you input and advice, along with every one else. Your input is highly valued.

OP
OP
John, I did find the Coolant hoses R&R article. Have printed it out and studied it. Wonderful info. As A side note: See your in Iowa. Grew up a dry land farm kid in northeast Nebraska. Now that I am retired, would like to watch a corn harvest again. Went back once near the end of october and it had long past been harvested. How things change. It had been a BIG celebration if we were done by Thanksgiving. Noticed modern harvesting equipment is substantially larger than 2 row equipment we had.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
OK, everyone:
I've officially been scared into submission- for those it helps, I just ordered the following parts on Partzilla.com:

16211-MT3-000 carb isolators
19504-MT3-000 Left Thermostat hose
19506-MT3-000 Right Thermostat hose
19523-MT3-000 Water Joint Elbow
91331-PC9-003 O-rings for the elbows

I will work on the 94 first being that it's a lot older. The main hoses appear normal and supple, so right now, I may just leave them be.
I will kick myself silly if I don't heed the advice here and have a major catastrophe if a hose or elbow gives up the ship. I hate to change parts early, but from what I read here, it seems like it's more common than I would assume. Anyway, all the parts for 2 bikes totals $178, so not too bad. By the way, for the 94, I was thinking about the oil cooler hoses, but both are not available on Partzilla.

ST-Owners rocks! It seems like it won't be too horrendous of a job (at least from what I read here)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I was thinking about the oil cooler hoses, but both are not available on Partzilla.
Those appear, from the outside, to be very similar to the hose often used in fuel lines in cars, so you may find a suitable replacement at an auto parts store.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have one more question (sorry):
-I called Partzilla this AM and since I’m going to be doing the coolant lines anyway, I added the lower radiator return hose. I looked in the parts diagram and didn’t see a top hose from the radiator, just the housing that holds the thermostat and from where the coolant lines pass to the elbows on the cylinder heads. Is there such a hose. The lower hose is part # 19505-MT3-000 by the way and when I was looking, I didn’t see any other hose/ part numbers. Is there another one I’m not seeing in the diagram?

Thank You!

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
SIRepair:
What was the condition of your under the carbs hoses, O rings, and elbows (and at what mileage is your 93)?
My '93 has 175,000 miles. Hoses were squishy, slight leaks around the elbows. Not sure how much longer they would have lasted without a split.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
-I called Partzilla this AM and since I’m going to be doing the coolant lines anyway, I added the lower radiator return hose. I looked in the parts diagram and didn’t see a top hose from the radiator, just the housing that holds the thermostat and from where the coolant lines pass to the elbows on the cylinder heads. Is there such a hose. The lower hose is part # 19505-MT3-000 by the way and when I was looking, I didn’t see any other hose/ part numbers. Is there another one I’m not seeing in the diagram?

Thank You!
I don’t remember which fiche that hose is on but all the part numbers are in the link in post #27 above.

John

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
-I called Partzilla this AM and since I'm going to be doing the coolant lines anyway, I added the lower radiator return hose. I looked in the parts diagram and didn't see a top hose from the radiator, just the housing that holds the thermostat and from where the coolant lines pass to the elbows on the cylinder heads. Is there such a hose. The lower hose is part # 19505-MT3-000 by the way and when I was looking, I didn't see any other hose/ part numbers. Is there another one I'm not seeing in the diagram?

Thank You!
I think you already answered your question about the top hose, but just in case, here is the fiche page (radiator). the hose is #16, and the part number is

HOSE, RADIATOR
19503-MT3-000

Capture.JPG

Top Bottom