97' ST1100 - Bringing it back to life!

Hi all, I'm James from just outside Baton Rouge, La. I have a 97 ST1100 that I've put about 75k miles on and earned my Iron Butt certificate on, but has sat idle in my shop for about 4 years. I'm ready to put it back on the road. I need suggestions on where to buy parts, tires, suggested carb clean out parts and instructions.....and the list goes on. Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Looking forward to burning some gas!!

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I would first check to see if you can get it running before spending time on tires and other parts. Sea foam in the tank would be a good start. If the battery is dead you could boost it with a car battery, only to see if it turns over. If it turns over consider buying a new battery from a local mc dealer. I would invest in a fresh set of plugs, if it hasn’t started. That’s basically all I had to do to get mine going after it sat for a year or so by the previous owner.
For parts check out partzilla, you can get most of the stuff from them.
once you have it running, consider changing all the coolant hoses and flushing the radiator, for what it’s going to cost replace the coolant with genuine Honda brand
inspect the air filter and change if necessary
clean the little sponge filter if front of the air filter
flush and replace the brake and clutch fluids be prepared to rebuild with a kit
change the oil and filter
replace the fuel filter
drain the fuel tank and add some fresh fuel..(for my first tank I used premium) add a carb or injector cleanor and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to the ratio of additive to fuel. Run a couple of tanks of fuel with additive and you maybe lucky and not have to take the carbs apart and clean them
change the diff oil
lube the throttle cables
inspect the connector to the main relay, make sure it’s in good shape and apply dielectric grease to it.
bridgestone battle axe tires are economical and provide good traction all around and that will get you going until you wish to experiment with other brands
Good luck

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Have you got the Honda Service Manual, or a Clymer manual? All the instructions you need would be in there.

OP
OP
No it's been in my shop on a battery tender. Tried to start it last weekend
but it didn't hit at all. I'm gonna to start with dumping the fuel, new filter and a set of plugs and
keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not expecting much!!!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
You should at the very first check you are getting fuel to the carbs and that the fuel pump is working. You can hook your multimeter to the brown-red wire terminal on the fuel tank flange closest to the battery, and the other end (with meter on amps) to the battery positive, which will jumper the pump. You should be able to hear it whirring away, and see about 1.2-1.4A draw. Careful of sparks/gasoline!

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
No it's been in my shop on a battery tender. Tried to start it last weekend
but it didn't hit at all. I'm gonna to start with dumping the fuel, new filter and a set of plugs and
keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not expecting much!!!
you may be surprised, there’s a good chance it will fire up.

Top Bottom