three modification defeat hot air

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
You can do the same thing with Mylar bubble wrap for almost nothing. Mine was free as it was packing material for some lab supplies I received. Still have some. Did mine 13 years ago, works great. Just be aware that it is conductive.
Mylar bubble may not be used in high temperature environment, fiberglass can be used for wrap exhaust head pipe, at least it would not catch fire.

Last edited:
Does it matter what material you use to insulate? Reflectics vs fiberglass?

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
Does it matter what material you use to insulate? Reflectics vs fiberglass?
I think the purpose is to isolate the high temperature airflow on the tank baking, so you should choose high temperature materials. Of course there should not be so high temperature, so the choice of material may not be so sensitive. just in case, choose high temperature materials is not easy to go wrong.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
I am vacationing in Beijing right now, but have no time to go shopping for seat cover. We have to go where our tour bus takes us. I use beadrider and I am very happy with it, except it adds about 10mm to the ride height. I'll order some mesh material to try it out. I'll look for the mesh on the scooters around here to see how it looks like. I must say one thing about the beadrider, it is hard, but I can ride all day (10 hours plus ) on it during 40C, and not get score butt later. I think the beads give extra support.
I insulated with aluminum foam sheet below the air box instead of above the air box. I think insulating below the airbox will keep the intake air cooler. Also the intake air temperature senser is in the airbox. it will sense hotter temperatures than actual from of the trapped hot air due to your insulating above the air box. The Air temperature senser will signal the computer to lean out the fuel/air mix. Not good for riding slow.
I made a sheet of insulation on the bike under the seats and wrapped around the sides. I didn't insulate the seats themself. It works for me. It stopped all the hot air from rising to the seat area. I'll take a pic of this sheet of insulation when I return home if this thread is still going.

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
I am vacationing in Beijing right now, but have no time to go shopping for seat cover. We have to go where our tour bus takes us. I use beadrider and I am very happy with it, except it adds about 10mm to the ride height. I'll order some mesh material to try it out. I'll look for the mesh on the scooters around here to see how it looks like. I must say one thing about the beadrider, it is hard, but I can ride all day (10 hours plus ) on it during 40C, and not get score butt later. I think the beads give extra support.
I insulated with aluminum foam sheet below the air box instead of above the air box. I think insulating below the airbox will keep the intake air cooler. Also the intake air temperature senser is in the airbox. it will sense hotter temperatures than actual from of the trapped hot air due to your insulating above the air box. The Air temperature senser will signal the computer to lean out the fuel/air mix. Not good for riding slow.
I made a sheet of insulation on the bike under the seats and wrapped around the sides. I didn't insulate the seats themself. It works for me. It stopped all the hot air from rising to the seat area. I'll take a pic of this sheet of insulation when I return home if this thread is still going.
In china we buy this kind of things from internet, they ship it to us. maybe you can not find seat cover in dealer, because it is too cheap to make money from you. wish you can find a seat cover with same material.

I did think of insulate below air box, but if I do anything wrong, it will do harm to my bike. for example, if I drop some screw, or forget to install something, or screw too loose too tight, or break something... I am sure I would not, but in case it happen, I'd rather insulate above air box. in fact you can treat it as below the tank. and the other reason is, my target is cool down the fuel tank, other original design are all ok to me.

Yes the Air temperature sensor is in the airbox, not above it, the wire and plug above it. wish the sensor will work ok, will see if it ok in next summer.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
Back with vacation now, still jet lagged. Didn't see any mesh seat covers on the sea of scooters in Beijing. Only saw 2 motorcycles on the move. ( included 1 Harvey). I'll check out your links to see about the mesh seat cover.
I believe you will find the air temperature sensor picking up the extra heat when you insulate above the air box, specially when you riding slow. Basically, you turn the air box into an oven, when the fresh air flow is slow, it will heat up. Hope I am wrong, your spring riding will tell you.
Kenny

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
Back with vacation now, still jet lagged. Didn't see any mesh seat covers on the sea of scooters in Beijing. Only saw 2 motorcycles on the move. ( included 1 Harvey). I'll check out your links to see about the mesh seat cover.
I believe you will find the air temperature sensor picking up the extra heat when you insulate above the air box, specially when you riding slow. Basically, you turn the air box into an oven, when the fresh air flow is slow, it will heat up. Hope I am wrong, your spring riding will tell you.
Kenny
my ST has K-line interface, maybe I can write a software to read information from ECU, will read the air temperature sensor value. I did write a app to read ECU from other motorcycle(ECU: Delphi MT05) two years before.

I think the air box is in oven when summer even no insulate, if feel something wrong I would insulate below the air box.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
May be you will be the first person to crack the Honda Code for the ECU. Then you can rewrite the fuel/air mapping to tune it for ride ability instead of emission compliance.
Kenny

wrap the headers change the exhaust and put spacers on the tank bolts to create a gap to release the heat then maybe add tubes to force cold air under the tank.
the mylar foil under the airbox works well as many layers as you can the more the better

Top Bottom