Coldest Ride 2017-2018

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Congrats to all of you who made the final list. So wanted to participate......but a layer of snow on the roads did stop me....had days that would have put me among the top 20 or better. So here is a shot of a 54 degree day.......today......,but still lots of snow..... Check the herd of deer in the field above my seat....click to enlarge...

ToddC
_20180312_160319.jpg

Bike
ST1300
I can verify that it does get cold in north Texas. I live in Poetry, just east of Dallas and I ride all through the winter as long as it isn't raining, snowing, or icing. I had several rides below 20 degrees this past winter and all those were to work which takes between 45 minutes and an hour depending on traffic. One ride stood out as the air temp (on the bike dash) was 16 degrees when I pulled out of the garage.

At those temps, I ride with base layer thermals, a leather jacket, heavy jeans, high top waterproof motorcycle boots, good gloves, and a special scarf doo-hicky that covers my neck area between the jacket and helmet. Heated grips help quite a bit.

One advantage to cold weather riding here in the Lone Star State... no bugs. I rode all winter and scarcely even wiped off my helmet face shield, much less the bike fairing and windscreen...

Top Bottom