Coldest Ride 2017-2018

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Rode my Harley to a charity ride yesterday, but got there and there were no participants. I guess they thought it was too cold. I ended up just going on one of my favorite loops.
17 degrees, total of about 75 miles. I was getting gas and a guy came up to me and said "I want to shake your hand for being out here in 17 degree weather." I was toasty warm with my Gerbing jacket liner and other winter gear, was no big deal.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Well here is a little New Years Day fun for a few of us in the Minneapolis area. I don't think anyone is submitting, but all rode a minimum of 30 miles. (I stand corrected, congrats Kent)
The start was 11 below...... http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/3785730-i-cycle-derby-benefits-minneapolis-homeless-runaway-youth/
Good times!!!
Ha!
That's me starting the second leg at the video's 30 second mark. I gave them a little rear wheel spin as I headed out on purpose just in case that gave them footage they would want to use.
Thanks for the link Rich.

Later,
Kent

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
12-31-17
Well not as much fun as Mudduc had but a lot colder. I checked the temp at home at 9:00AM and we had -22F and going down(Screenshot Storm App), Grabbed my helmet and headed to the store because it is always colder there and that's where my bike is. Got there about 9:45 and grabbed a picture of the truck temp gauge in the mirror of -23F. Threw the gear on and pulled the bike out to let it warm up or cool off I don't know what you want to call it. On the way to the store I found the roads plowed and no problems with a lain of traffic to ride in, Little did I know what the day would bring. I got all plugged in with my old Widder heated gear, vest, arm chaps, leg chaps. My normal riding gear on top of it but not a lot of extra warm gear because I figured I would only be out 20min or so.
Took off south to Hwy 212 and hung a left with everything going good as could be expected. Rode west 2.5 miles and headed north on 19th St. 2 or so miles to 14th Ave and headed west. Now there is only one roundabout in Watertown and that's where the snow plows don't know how to clean up. I entered the roundabout and that's when the ice under the snow took me down. This is where not adding extra warm gear reared its ugly head. As I came off the bike everything unplugged and there I stood with no heat, Grabbed the bike to pick it up and that just wasn't happening because my boots just slipped when I tried to lift it. Ok so I need help... Next 4 cars that went through the roundabout just put wheels on the center and drove on by, ok Sunday and they had to get to church...Next came a kid in a pickup truck but he didn't have a good enough jacket to stand out in the cold and try to lift the bike but he said he would be back in a few with some help.
I pushed and slid the bike out of the way so people could get by but no one stopped to help and I was COLD!!!!! Couldn't plug in because the power was by the lower left shock adjuster. Grabbed my phone to call for help and that's when I found I landed on it when I went down and it wasn't working and the screen was shattered. Needless to say I was as cold as I had ever been standing out there and was about to leave it lay there and walk to some apartments blocks away when I saw the truck headed toward me, When He pulled up with his dad and 2 other adults in the truck they got out and asked how I was doing and I stuttered COLD...They put me in the truck and said they had it and my argue was all froze up...LOL. I watched them pick it up and put it on the side stand and that's when the kid threw a leg over and started it up and let it sit there and run. They all climbed back in the truck to get out of the cold and were laughing at the story the would get to tell at work. I was feeling a little better and knew if I got plugged in I would be good. I said my thanks and was about to leave when they asked where I was going and I told them to finish my ride around town and back to the store to put it away. They offered to follow and make sure I made it and not being dumb I said sure.
Finished my 6 mile or more ride back to the store and pulled up to unlock and put the bike inside when they got out and came up to hold the door. Needless to say I thanked them over and over and found out the kid rides a Kawasaki and they all have a bike back ground.
The only damage to the bike was the left MCL tip over bar needs repower coated, I didn't have the bags or mirror covers on thankfully. A little over an hour to go 11 miles at -23F, Next time I will have a chase vehicle when I go that cold and full warm gear as well.

I didn't get to post till today because I had to fix my phone...LOL

PS: Thanks Bob (rjs987) for the tip a few years ago to keep the breath out of my helmet. Worked better this time.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wow, that's quite the story! Glad you made out ok. What was the tip from Bob?

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Dang Dan, harrowing story, luckily with a good ending. No injury other than getting a bit cold. We take these chances riding in less than ideal conditions. Some people think we are crazy, but in reality we are pretty prepared for the situations we put ourselves into. Experience and good gear go a long way towards making these adventures less risky than most people would think. Still things go awry at times, and when they do, the best we can hope for is walking away unharmed. Glad it went that way for you, and thanks for the generosity and kindness of some strangers.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow, that’s quite the story! Glad you made out ok. What was the tip from Bob?
Some time ago I posted in one of the cold riding threads (can't find it right now) about a snorkel I made to keep my visor and my glasses from fogging up. Works perfectly. It was a tip from another rider here at work who USED to ride all year 50 miles each way to work (his BMW ABS broke and he won't fix due to excessive cost! :eek: ).

I simply went to the local True Value store and picked up a small vinyl elbow and some clear tube to fit (see photo). Put the clear tube onto the long end of the elbow (the elbow I bought had one leg longer) and then cut the clear tube to extend JUST below the bottom of the helmet when it is to one side (not straight down) when you put the short end of the elbow in your mouth. I've been using this for many years now. The ridges on the elbow allow me to hold it by my teeth... lightly. I now have a helmet with a pin-lock visor which never fogs up BUT that doesn't help my glasses so I still use the snorkel. ONLY exhale through the snorkel and inhale through your mouth or nose to draw fresh air into the helmet to help keep things unfogged. Just one more piece of needed cold weather riding gear :grin:

Recently I used a heat gun and clamp to warm up the end I hold in my mouth and flatten it somewhat at an angle to the elbow so it will naturally move to one side where I want it. Makes it easier to hold onto. Oh, and don't forget to rinse it out after every use or it can get kind of nasty just like any snorkel or scuba/air breather gear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for the tip Bob

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
it can get kind of nasty just like any snorkel or scuba/air breather gear.
Hmm.. I have a snorkel I found on a dive and picked up as litter. Might be a good use for it, if my pinlock starts failing. Love the pinclock, only thing I don't like is it seems to flex and move a bit if I lift the shield and then I start getting ice underneath.

Good ideas here!

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
e I now have a helmet with a pin-lock visor which never fogs up BUT that doesn't help my glasses so I still use the snorkel. ONLY exhale through the snorkel and inhale through your mouth or nose to draw fresh air into the helmet to help keep things unfogged. Just one more piece of needed cold weather riding gear :grin:

Try Cat Crap, the spray available at your WalMart optical department for about $5. Keeps your glasses from fogging. Easier and faster to apply than paste. Works for me, but haven't tried in your extreme riding conditions.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/cat-crap-anti-fog-review/

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
Here are the event pics. I had fun working the checkpoints! https://rickcorwine.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2018-I-Cycle-Derby/n-PnJT5G/

I-Cycle Derby, New Years Day.
- 09:00 30 minute ride in was at -13°F
- 10:38 was my leg one starting time at -10°F for an hour long ride.
- 13:08 start for 45 minute leg two at -3°F.
- 15:15 30 minute ride home at a toasty 0°F.

I'll take credit for a -13°F Coldest Ride, thanks.

Today's commute was -10°F and comfortable with just layers of cloth and my Klim gear. My hands were even too warm with the Gerbing heated glove liners during yesterday's event and I popped the fuse about halfway through the day plugging them back in with the bike running. For this morning's commute I used some air-activated chemical heat packs for my gloves. Worked well enough but not as nice as the glove liners. I'll be replacing the fuse before my next below zero ride.

For the derby, I got 4th place by cheating. It helps that only 12 riders were entered.

After riding order was randomly assigned, I was slotted #8 behind a serious looking rider #7 with clipboard and stopwatch mounted to his Grom for the event.

Not being able to read the direction cards, (I'm at an age where I require reading glasses) I just followed rider 7 around, waited for him to check-in and ran the Final Jeopardy 30-second wait song through my head twice as I slowly crept up to check in after him.

Maybe next time I'll buy some anti-fog goggles with a reader prescription bi-focal (if such a thing exists).

Later,
Kent Larson in Woodbury

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
12-31-17
Well not as much fun as Mudduc had but a lot colder. I checked the temp at home at 9:00AM and we had -22F and going down(Screenshot Storm App), Grabbed my helmet and headed to the store because it is always colder there and that's where my bike is. Got there about 9:45 and grabbed a picture of the truck temp gauge in the mirror of -23F. Threw the gear on and pulled the bike out to let it warm up or cool off I don't know what you want to call it. On the way to the store I found the roads plowed and no problems with a lain of traffic to ride in, Little did I know what the day would bring. I got all plugged in with my old Widder heated gear, vest, arm chaps, leg chaps. My normal riding gear on top of it but not a lot of extra warm gear because I figured I would only be out 20min or so.
Took off south to Hwy 212 and hung a left with everything going good as could be expected. Rode west 2.5 miles and headed north on 19th St. 2 or so miles to 14th Ave and headed west. Now there is only one roundabout in Watertown and that's where the snow plows don't know how to clean up. I entered the roundabout and that's when the ice under the snow took me down. This is where not adding extra warm gear reared its ugly head. As I came off the bike everything unplugged and there I stood with no heat, Grabbed the bike to pick it up and that just wasn't happening because my boots just slipped when I tried to lift it. Ok so I need help... Next 4 cars that went through the roundabout just put wheels on the center and drove on by, ok Sunday and they had to get to church...Next came a kid in a pickup truck but he didn't have a good enough jacket to stand out in the cold and try to lift the bike but he said he would be back in a few with some help.
I pushed and slid the bike out of the way so people could get by but no one stopped to help and I was COLD!!!!! Couldn't plug in because the power was by the lower left shock adjuster. Grabbed my phone to call for help and that's when I found I landed on it when I went down and it wasn't working and the screen was shattered. Needless to say I was as cold as I had ever been standing out there and was about to leave it lay there and walk to some apartments 3 blocks away when I saw the truck headed toward me, When He pulled up with his dad and 2 other adults in the truck they got out and asked how I was doing and I stuttered COLD...They put me in the truck and said they had it and my argue was all froze up...LOL. I watched them pick it up and put it on the side stand and that's when the kid threw a leg over and started it up and let it sit there and run. They all climbed back in the truck to get out of the cold and were laughing at the story the would get to tell at work. I was feeling a little better and knew if I got plugged in I would be good. I said my thanks and was about to leave when they asked where I was going and I told them to finish my ride around town and back to the store to put it away. They offered to follow and make sure I made it and not being dumb I said sure.
Finished my 6 mile or more ride back to the store and pulled up to unlock and put the bike inside when they got out and came up to hold the door. Needless to say I thanked them over and over and found out the kid rides a Kawasaki and they all have a bike back ground.
The only damage to the bike was the left MCL tip over bar needs repower coated, I didn't have the bags or mirror covers on thankfully. A little over an hour to go 11 miles at -23F, Next time I will have a chase vehicle when I go that cold and full warm gear as well.

I didn't get to post till today because I had to fix my phone...LOL

PS: Thanks Bob (rjs987) for the tip a few years ago to keep the breath out of my helmet. Worked better this time.
Daaaaaaang.... glad you got some help before you froze to death!

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Wow Dan. Glad you didn't do too much damage to the bike or your body.
I gave your story a "like" but that really means I didn't like what you had to go through.

Just like Victor W.--who ran the I-Cycle Derby with perfect 0,0,0,0,0,0 scores--I think your record is unbeatable. Even if it got below -23 here in Minnesota sometime this season, I doubt I'll have a reason to be riding.

I don't run my big RAM Diesel when it is below zero and I'm fine on the bike to about -15 but at -20 and lower, I think I'll just take a PTO (Paid Time Off) day.
But...maybe...now that I have heated gloves? We'll see.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I gave your story a "like" but that really means I didn't like what you had to go through.
There are disadvantages to being a little off.....LOL
We learn something every time we have an adventure like these.
I think I'll come over next year and play with your group Kent, Let me know when.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dang Dan, sure glad I'm not that desperate to get out and ride! :eek:

Just glad you didn't freeze to death! :eek:4:

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I think I'll come over next year and play with your group Kent, Let me know when.
It will be good to meet you.

Next year will be the 71st running so I'm sure it will happen regardless of weather on January 1st, 2019 with registration starting at 9am. Check www.teamstrange.com next December.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Top Bottom