ST1100 Oil Level Mystery

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
If you want to be really anal about getting more out, there are a few ounces that sit in the valleys of the heads and that can be drained somewhat by leaning the bike to each side, while on the centre stand. My bike sits on carpet, so no fear of the stand sliding out on a cement floor and I can get about a 45 degree angle lean each way. :)

EDIT: OK maybe 60 degrees, now that I think about it.
I'm a big believer in the law of diminishing returns, when appropriate. Draining hot is easy to do, gets out 95%++ of the old oil and the minimal remainder is inconsequential to long term engine life. Squeezing out the last few drops really adds nothing to the work done.

On the other hand..........., I choose to spend more time than really necessary to keep the ST clean and the paintwork etc... shined up and in good shape because it's a feel good endeavor.

OP
OP
GeoffJ
Thanks to all for the replies.

What I've learned is it's best to underfill the engine with oil following a drain, ride the bike and then add more oil if needed.

I'm aware that not all oil will drain from an engine. I overfilled my engine because I wasn't aware the ST11 traps so much oil in its cavities.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks to all for the replies.

What I've learned is it's best to underfill the engine with oil following a drain, ride the bike and then add more oil if needed.

I'm aware that not all oil will drain from an engine. I overfilled my engine because I wasn't aware the ST11 traps so much oil in its cavities.
I've never had oil re-appear after a drain, filter change and fill with new oil. If anything it usually settles down, so I fill it to the top. After the first ride, I'll get it on the centre stand without leaning the bike over and check when the engine has cooled. Then top up if needed. The issue is if you park on the side stand, then bring the bike upright and top up. You'll end up putting too much in.

Bike
92 ST1100
Didn't read any of prior page replys, but the new replacement oil level SHOULD be approx. at a minimum a 1/4 inch below full mark in check window. Otherwise, kept at full mark for whatever reason motor will have faint knock at idle. This is a common practice among ST11 owners:).

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I think some of you guys are over thinking this. I have changed the oil from the cold to hot range. I pull the plug and filter. While it is draining and dripping, check the tire air pressure, brake pad thickness, brake fluid level and any other thing I happen to think about. I install a Civic oil filter which is a little bit bigger than a stock 1100 filter. When it quits dripping, I pour 4 quarts of oil in. I don't remember the last time I checked the oil after a change. The oil has to be run a while to fill the filter and all those nooks and crannies.

Some guys change the oil at 3k miles, some at 5k miles. The book says 8k miles. I change the oil when the shifting starts to get rough.

Some guys use Honda oil. Some guys use other brands of MC oil. Some guys use car oil. I use synthetic MC oil (non MC brand oil).

Top Bottom