Darkside PSI.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Something I'm not understanding about the psi. Why are we staying low, I'm seeing 21 to 28 said often. But the same riders seem to say the outside edges also wearing out sooner than the middle. Why not add a few pounds to push out the middle? If the CT were on a car we would fill to the recommended max, as the manufacturer recommends.
If fact I have always thought a little high psi to push out the middle of the tire to give it a crowning would be a good thing for same reason that MT are rounded.
So why lower psi then normal rather than a little high psi to push out the middle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I've ran 28 psi on my DS 1100 and have had very even tire wear. I'm no DS expert, but I think the lower pressures are ran for several reasons. Bike is lighter than car, so running lower pressure will get sufficient heat in the tire while allowing the sidewall to flex when cornering. With higher pressure you will be wearing out center of the tire.

YMMV, Some settling may occure during handling and I'm a non-attorney non-spokesperson.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I run 30-32 to get some flex in the tire and keep more rubber on the road. That being said, I corner fairly hard and tend to wear out the edges first. Those that run at 42PSI tend to wear out the middle, so it's probably best somewhere in between.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Run it high (34 psi +) and the bike tends to want to stay straight up unless loaded 2 up. Run it low (under 32 psi) and the bike will corner better without trying to stand up straight as much. At least this is what I've found running double dark. Lower pressures are more comfortable running twisties as the tire is allowed to flex more.

After ArkanSTOC, I rounded out the tire edges a bunch more while running about 26 psi. Cornering was much more comfortable and the bike did not want to stay upright as much as it did at 35 psi. Only when running 2 up have I ever not noticed running a car tire. Thus, running at 22 psi might improve cornering even more while running solo. YMMV

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
32 psi on a GYTT wears it pretty evenly for me. On a Hankook I liked a little more pressure to help alleviate the squiggle out of the corners when applying throttle.

f the CT were on a car we would fill to the recommended max, as the manufacturer recommends.
Max psi as the vehicle manufacturer recommends or the tire manufacturer prints as max psi for weight? If the later, never in ever.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The recommended PSI should be less than MAX PSI unless you are carrying a ton of bricks.....

I have only worn out two darkside tires (Hankook V4 (35k) and BF Goodrich comp2 (at 30k maybe 5k to go...)).
I ran both at 28 PSI single up and they had even wear from my moderate style of riding.
as mentioned above the lower pressure makes for an extremely comfortable ride. Handling is so good that I forget that it is a car tire...

See post #34 for photo of wear and #38 for more comments. I actually replaced the Hankook before it was worn out.....
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?146717-Another-option-for-the-ST-BF-Goodrich-G-Force-Comp-2/page4

Last edited:
Top Bottom