'97 ABS/TCS rear brake caliper

Bike
ST1100
Is it normal for the rear brake pistons to significantly protrude from the caliper with new(ish) pads? Just "winterising" the Pan and noticed that pistons protrude about 7-8mm which seems a bit excessive. Shim plates are attached to both pads. Any advice from the collective wisdom would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
If you used aftermarket pads then yes, if you used the Honda rear pads then no.
Aftermarket pads that I have seen are about 1/2 the thickness.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I measured them once when new. OEM rear pads have 9mm friction material on the rear. OEM front pads have 6mm.

I notice that some aftermarket companies provide what look like 6mm (front pads) for the rear calipers, and may not even produce pads with 9mm thickness. The rear pads tend to wear out much faster (at least in the UK when the bike is ridden in winter months, due to the amount of crud that gets kicked up onto them. So it is handy having the extra thickness.)

On at least one of my 1100s, the backing plate had the same dimensions for front and back calipers. Don't confuse the two !

Differences - rear pads have a notch in the tab end of the backing plate, front do not. You could get away with putting a notched pad in the front, but you wouldn't get away putting a pad without the notch in the rear - the brakes won't release properly.
Some aftermarket manufacturers include a removable heat resistant layer for all of their pads. These aren't needed for the front brakes, and although it is possible to fit them, the extra thickness will cause the front pads to drag which will activate the rear brakes if you have the CBS on your ST1100.

Last edited:

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Some aftermarket manufacturers include a heat resistant layer for all of their pads. These aren't needed for the front brakes, and although it is possible to fit them, they will cause the front pads to drag which will activate the rear brakes if you have the CBS on your ST1100.
Whoa that's a new one for me, now I need to check my front to see if I installed those. ABS/TCS

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Whoa that's a new one for me, now I need to check my front to see if I installed those. ABS/TCS
Once the front pads have worn down a bit, they are not an issue, but when the pads are brand new, there isn't quite enough room for them. Front OEM pads don't have the shield, but the rear OEM does.

OP
OP
Big-E
Bike
ST1100
Thanks for the replies folks. Think I might fit some OE Honda pads when I take the swingarm off next month.

Top Bottom