Alps - 2017

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have recently returned from a 10 day trip to the Alps. In all we rode about 50 passes in Austria, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, and Germany. We picked the bikes up in Munich (BTS rentals - great outfit) and headed down into Austria where we met our friend from Barcelona who had ridden over to join us. The weather was chilly the whole time and we had some rain but not too much. Most of the passes had snow at the top and we were stopped at the top of the Furka pass one day but were able to go over the next. I have attached some pictures and also a link to my Spotwalla track. I forgot to turn it on the day we went from Vaduz to Andermatt. That day we rode Klausen, Susten, Grimsel, Furka (had to turn back at the top), Nufenen, and St. Gottard passes and ended the day in Andermatt.

Spotwalla link.
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1620859a640bc98d13
You might have to go up and adjust the "fill" to see the complete route.

Attachments

Last edited:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Cool I hope you enjoyed as much s I did. I also did the Alps this Aug. with Blue Rim tours "Five Country Tour" It was magnificent. I then did a week on my own in Southern Bavaria, visiting places that I have lived. A day by day is on my facebook page starting Aug 20. https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980 Had a ball

Attachments

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Thanks for sharing Rod! Now that my son, David, is living and working in Paris we are starting to plan a number of European rides together. Just have to find the time when he can take off!

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Very nice, I see you did some of the same roads I did in Italy last year. As Uncle Phil says, there is nothing like it in the USA.

OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
There are a few things that stand out as being different to me. Having a discussion about which is better is like asking which oil or tires are better. Very few people have tried them all so most opinions are shaded by experience and personal preference. I have spent about 200 days riding in the western US Rockies and about 100 days in the Alps. I tend to enjoy narrower roads, with tight turns so my opinion is influenced by this. Others may enjoy the more open roads with sweeping turns. This is what I find:
- in the Alps, drivers and riders are much more attentive and "polite". ie. they pay attention to their driving/riding and treat motorcycles as equals on the road. Often going out of their way to make it easier to ride there. I feel much safer riding in the Alps (and Europe in general) than in North America.
- As good as the Rockie's roads are, the Alps tend to be tighter and more technical. 200-250 miles is a relatively long day in the Alps.
- I have not ridden all the passes in the west (nor in the Alps) but I think there is a higher concentration of great riding passes in the Alps. It is not uncommon to ride passes linked together, all day long, just to get to your next destination whereas in the west, there tends to be "transit stages" between the passes. There have been days where I have rarely got above 3rd gear in the Alps.
- I would be remiss if I didn't mention the ambiance of Europe in general and the Alps in particular. Something about staying/eating in little mom and pop alpine chalets that is so enjoyable. This is where we spent 3 nights in Andermatt. I think it had 9 rooms total and run by the most gracious family.
20170910_164430.jpg

So to summarize, all things being equal (ie. time, expense,), I would ride the Alps over the roads in the west. It is a treat to go to the Alps because of time and distance whereas, within a day, I can be riding the great roads in MT, ID, OR, WA, and CA so maybe I am taking the west a bit for granted. I feel very fortunate to be able to do both.

Bike
ST 1300 ABS,
Hi Friends

Just for fun and to spend the cold days without a motorcycle.
Check out the ST Owners Video Forum for my videos of the alpine passes.

Search for: Riding in Switzerland --> s-wiss t-om

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

I have also been to the USA twice on motorcycle tours with Goldwing and Harley in Arizona, Colorado, Utha, Wyoming, Black Hills. And for example Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Badlands, Trail Ridges Road and so on.
Every country has its own beautiful sides and not everything is perfect everywhere.

Thomas

Bike
VStrom 650
All this talk has made me all Alpie, why wouldn't ya ride em. I mean, come on. For anyone considering it I've got a few good hotels on the French, Italian, Austrian and German sides of the area. For Swiss hotels rob a bank first.
Upt'North
DSC01831.JPG

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
When in Switzerland try the hostels, 2 can stay for about 125 swiss francs a night. I have stayed in the Sion and Lausanne ones a few times each. Breakfast is included. You make your own bed with their sheets and blankets and use a communal bathroom, which are clean and nice.

Bike
VStrom 650
This view is from an observation point going to Stelvio Pass. Personaly I think Stelvio is too commercial and overrated. Although it's a beautiful pass from atop and is in the "must visit" category. The endless tight switchbacks becomes work after a wile.
The Stelvio can be hard work especially on an ST11, overrated, depends on what you want from a pass I suppose. The Furka and Grimsel take some beating and the Petit St.Bernard is a lovely quiet road too. Have you thought about the Dolomites if renting from Milano, the Sella Pass triangle is probably the best day ride anywhere in Europe. No, it is the best day ride in Europe.
Upt'North.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
As I have said many times, having ridden in both places, there is nothing to compare to riding in the Alps.
My next closest place is in Scotland!
BTW, I rode all the major Sierra Passes (that I had heard of) out west in one day -

And one day on my Alps trip, we tried Hermann's '17 Alp Passes in one day' challenge and got through 12 before we were rained out -

Riding in the Alps is just a whole different 'world' of riding.
My dream is to go back and take one of my ST1100s over and ride all the passes that I can!

Of course riding the Hardknott Pass in the U.K. on a ST1300 is pretty challenging also! :biggrin:

Bike
VStrom 650
As I have said many times, having ridden in both places, there is nothing to compare to riding in the Alps.
My next closest place is in Scotland!
BTW, I rode all the major Sierra Passes (that I had heard of) out west in one day -

And one day on my Alps trip, we tried Hermann's '17 Alp Passes in one day' challenge and got through 12 before we were rained out -

Riding in the Alps is just a whole different 'world' of riding.
My dream is to go back and take one of my ST1100s over and ride all the passes that I can!

Of course riding the Hardknott Pass in the U.K. on a ST1300 is pretty challenging also! :biggrin:

When you're right Phil, you're right :biggrin:.
We stayed at home this year (UK) and did around 5000 miles in day rides and longer trips around Scotland, we are fortunate that we are on the doorstep and can wait for the sun to enter the arena. I can honestly say I wouldn't have enjoyed the Alps, Pyrenees or Dolomites any more. Like most of Europe, Scotland is getting busy but take the effort to find the quieter roads and it's a magical if midgey place. Actually, we weren't pestered by The Midge even in July. Good shout Phil.
Upt'North.

I mean look at that road, and it went forever.
DSC00565.JPG

Last edited:

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Yep, did Dolomites toured Swiss-Italian Alps. Rode thru Sella (beautiful) on the way to Arabba.
Tremola, Furka, Grimsel, Susten all that jazz. In Italy I Loved Gavia pass. Not touristy and beautiful. Manghen pass on the way to Lago di Garda was real work on a loaded bike with a passenger. Had to k-turn two corners (what an embarasment when a group of locals on nakeds turned with ease).

Gavia
I've been riding in the Alps for more than 35 years and Gavia is one of my top 3 favorite passes. I love the wildness of it, especially coming up from the Bormio side. The south side your video is on was hard packed dirt for many years before getting paved. It would frequently be closed at the bottom in Ponte di Legno due to washouts - but the bikes would go around the "closed" signs and push through anyway.

Enjoyed the video - nice music.

OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Ah yes, the old ride around the barricade trick. Must only apply to cars, not bikes, right??! So, around we went at the barricade at the bottom of the Furka pass. This is what we met at the top.
20170910_142259.jpg

Once rode the Gavia pass in fog so thick you could barely make out the fog line on the side. First time on it so I wasn't aware of just how far down it was in some places!

Top Bottom