Still another moose!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yikes Jim - that WAS close.

For folks unfamiliar with moose, they are MUCH more than just a big deer (and hitting a deer is bad enough in a car or on a bike). Moose are very tall and have a heavy body (from 350-700kg or from about 800 to 1500 lb). Aside from the huge mass of flesh and bone is the fact that when struck by a vehicle, the moose’s legs will normally collapse and the body will go right over the hood and come through the windshield - landing on the vehicle occupants. Im certain that the effects on a motorcycle would be even worse.

In short, many people do not survive an encounter with a moose.

Glad you’re OK Jim!

Pete

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Around 2002 a friend I used to ride with hit a moose in New Hampshire right near the Mount Washington toll road. There was surprisingly little damage to his Honda Shadow as it went under the moose which gives you an idea of their height. He hit dead-on broadside and was knocked off the bike as it went right under the moose and carried on upright down the road with no rider on it. He was 72 years old at the time. After 10 hours of emergency surgery he survives to this day- the moose died. So yes the need to be real careful with those guys around cannot be stressed enough for anyone unfamiliar with these animals.

Jim- you always have very good clear video with very little camera movement. What was your camera mounted to for this video?

OP
OP
Jim C-G
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Around 2002 a friend I used to ride with hit a moose in New Hampshire right near the Mount Washington toll road. There was surprisingly little damage to his Honda Shadow as it went under the moose which gives you an idea of their height. He hit dead-on broadside and was knocked off the bike as it went right under the moose and carried on upright down the road with no rider on it. He was 72 years old at the time. After 10 hours of emergency surgery he survives to this day- the moose died. So yes the need to be real careful with those guys around cannot be stressed enough for anyone unfamiliar with these animals.

Jim- you always have very good clear video with very little camera movement. What was your camera mounted to for this video?
Year ago when I was living in New Brunswick, a friend hit a moose. At night, just coming out of turn and getting straight... "There was this shadow and when my light hit it, it was still shadow... and then I hit it." The Beemer went thru the moose under the spine and he went over the moose. Two days in a coma, concussion, broken collar bone and multiple scrapes etc. He was back on the same 75/5 the next summer.
Oh, about the camera... that one was attached to a ram mount arm on a ram bolt on the cover for the hydraulic fluid for the clutch. It is pretty solid. The wide angle of the camera always catches the windshield but that only lets you know you're on a bike. 90% of the video I use does seem to come from my helmet mounted camera and I've tried to keep my head steady as much as possible. The helmet cam battery died 10 min. before the moose encounter. I have tried a mount on the front of the windshield but unless the road is super smooth there is too much vibration. I do have to do a video about my gear and how I am using it... soon.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I do have to do a video about my gear and how I am using it... soon.
I would find that interesting. I was given a GoPro as a gift two years ago. I have not used it yet. I decided recently that I should and I have been wondering what the best options are- helmet mount- where on the helmet?, bike mount- where on the bike?, etc.. One thing I found strange was that there seems to be no way to plug it in to the bike as far as my limited research found. If you use a GoPro here is a cheap battery pack to solve that problem- Brunton All Day GoPro Battery Pack. Friend of mine has one and forgot to turn his camera off for 16 hours and said that the battery still had power left in it.

OP
OP
Jim C-G
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I would find that interesting. I was given a GoPro as a gift two years ago. I have not used it yet. I decided recently that I should and I have been wondering what the best options are- helmet mount- where on the helmet?, bike mount- where on the bike?, etc.. One thing I found strange was that there seems to be no way to plug it in to the bike as far as my limited research found. If you use a GoPro here is a cheap battery pack to solve that problem- Brunton All Day GoPro Battery Pack. Friend of mine has one and forgot to turn his camera off for 16 hours and said that the battery still had power left in it.
One thing you have to say about GoPro... it has the biggest sales and there are more accessories make for it. The GoPro battery is only 1220 mAh and seems to last about an hour. That Brunton All Day GoPro battery is 4000 mAh... no wonder it lasts forever. I wish they made one for my Veho Muvi K2s... the K2 batteries are 1500 mAh and I count on them working for 2 hours... depending on which battery I have in, they don't always. Working on a "gear" video.

Top Bottom