ST vs. GoldWing: why have both?

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
For those of you- and I know it's a not insubstantial group- who have (or have had, either together or in sequence) both an ST and a Gold Wing: what were the motivations behind each choice? Which did you have first, and what drove you to get the other variety? Did you have them concurrently, or sequentially? If you kept one and sold the other, which one went which way, and why?

Background for my questions:

When I was a lad and the Gold Wing was brand new, my father carefully taught me that it was a very high standard, and one against which all others were to be judged. He never had one, but always admired them. That formed the basis of my own taste.

What I look for in a bike is smooth ride, comfort, enough size to go all day at interstate speeds yet enough agility to have loads of fun in twisties (without being terribly aggressive, I'll add), shaft drive, water cooling, integrated fairings and luggage, and high reliability. The ST ticks each of those boxes, and more.

I've had my ST for 3+ seasons now and love it dearly. BUT: a 25th Anniversary GL1500 SE has popped up on Craigslist, just a few miles from home. It has some nicks and scratches and a couple cracks in the bodywork (not major, but noticeable). It's priced at the lower end of the price spectrum I see on a national motorcycle sales website, with very modest mileage. I am trying to work out:

* When would I ride one versus the other, and why?
* Would it potentially be worth the domestic stress if a second bike took a place in the household? (It took some work just to get permission to get *one* bike; resistance to another might be very high indeed)
* What would I tell the Missus, as to why I "need" more than one bike when it's her opinion that "need" doesn't enter into the picture at all? (And of course, she is right...)

Thanks for your thoughts-

Bike
2000 ST1100
Probably redundant, but the goldie is a bit more of a comfortable ride, heavier, less sport like position. Aside from having lots of motorcycles is just fun, if i was looking for a second bike in addition to my ST, i would get a dual purpose bike for quick errands around town where the ST is a bit much to run 2 miles to the store. Oh yeah, i do have a dual purpose machine too. My .02 cents.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I had a 1500 Wing before my 1300. It was and still is a good bike. It is still going strong. But I would never want another one. I bought it thinking Judy would ride some with me. 100 miles in the 26,000 I put on it.
I am way more comfortable on my 1300. And it is a lot more fun to ride.
If I were you, I would look at a 1800 Wing. But that is just me.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I don’t own an ST and a GW (I have 2 STs)- anyway, the GW would be ridden if I was taking a longer (like X country) ride of several thousand miles (and the ST is up to the job as well)- it’s more likely that if you get the GL1500 that is an older design and doesn’t handle nearly as well as the ST, you won’t be riding it much. I think the ST is best at many jobs, so getting the other bike may be unnecessary, unless you really, really want it. If I was getting a GW, I’d get the most current version as it’ll likely handle much better than the prior ones.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I don't have a 'Wing, as for that matter, and have never ridden one. My riding buddy had a 1500 'Wing. We did a few road trips together. On the highway, at highway speeds (70-80), the MPG of the 'Wing are reduced to high 20's/low 30's. This coupled with a 5 gal. tank lead me to wonder how Honda could call their glorious Goldwing a Touring bike. I envisioned stopping at every exit for gas. Maybe not in the east but definitely in Texas, NM, Ks, Az, etc. Quite often our lunch rides even required a gas stop. Having said all that, I am considering a Valkyrie. About 100 lbs lighter with the same basic motor. The cams are a little hotter and there are 6 carbs.

From what I've heard, the wives like the back seat ride. I don't know if it's the smoothness, comfort, or the feeling of security (seat, back rest, arm rest ) but most like it. Some women have fallen asleep riding.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I too was swayed by my father's input. He owned a machine shop for 30 years and had designed and built many different types of equipment. His knowledge of what was built well was well respected. He had a 1980 GW that he put over 125k on in less than 5 years. Bought it after test riding the current Harley offerings.......and was less than impressed. Next was a 1985 limited GW. That was the machine that all others were judged by.

I only buy Honda to this day......not a Goldwing yet....but have thought about it. Two ST1300s keeps me on two wheels even if one is being serviced. Before that it was the V65 Sabre.

To answer any of your questions....only raises more questions... Only you know if it is right. I read somewhere on this forum...."life is short...buy the bike.".

And then beg for forgiveness later.......:please1:. Can I keep the new bike...:gld11:: bgw1::ygw1::ggw1:

ToddC

STOC #
I've owned both. I had a 2003 ST1100P and a 2013 GoldWing F6B.

A couple years ago, my wife encouraged me to find a hobby, so I decided to get back into motorcycling. I found a deal on a 1996 Honda Pacific Coast (first picture)... a bike I always admired, and I bought it. It was a sweet and gentle ride, and the trunk was a huge bonus. But what it lacked was Get-Up-And Go. The 800cc V-twin was just too feeble to be pushing that much plastic (bike) and blubber (me, 255lbs at the time) at the pace I had been accustomed to in my youth.

So in search for more performance I bought the ST1100P (second picture) and it was a great improvement. A few modifications to the riding comfort (Handlebar Risers and larger Windscreen) and it was nearly perfect. I sold the Pacific Coast for a small profit and rode the ST through the summer.

Strangely, every time I went to my local Honda dealer for parts or materials, there was a 2016 F6B on the showroom floor that kept calling out to me. I wondered what it would be like to ride such a large machine, so I found an F6B down in Huntington Beach that I could rent for a day (Here is a link to my adventure). Wow. Pure, smooth, powerful wow. Sure it was a good chunk heavier, but it was surprisingly easy to throw around (at least up to my skill level), and the 1800cc Flat Six was full of torque and horsepower to more than compensate for the added weight. I never rode two-up, so there was no need for the full Wing passenger throne, and the saddlebags on the F6B carried as much as the old Pacific Coast, or the ST1100P. Needless to say, on the drive home from the days adventure I promised myself I would have one. I also used the purchase of a new bike as an incentive to lose some weight... three months and 40 pounds later I found a 2013 in Kansas and had it shipped out here (third picture). After another three month Farkle Fest, I parted with the ST1100P and made the F6B my main ride. I rode it whenever I could leave the house for a while, and it always found its way home. It was a sweet diversion, and reminder of my youth.

Alas, changes in my life caused me to part with it recently... but hey, I sold it for what I bought it for... so I essentially rode it for almost a year for free. It was a great bike. No doubt, the best motorcycle I'd ever owned. I may do something like that again sometime, but for now it represents a small window of time in my life that I will never forget.

While I had it for sale, I took a short ride on a 2007 ST1300P... thinking perhaps that I would just downsize instead of completely halt motorcycling, but the ST1300 was just no comparison to the F6B. I had become spoiled.

Now the rumored 2018 GoldWing re-birth has me interested though... another Bagger version of the new Wing might be enough to get me back on two wheels.
Perhaps in a year or two, when the bugs are worked out.

Just my $.02.

Jim

01.jpg 1.jpg 1.jpg

Last edited:

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Does or will 'she' ride with you if you got a GW? If not... the ST is up to the task of most any kind of paved road riding. A GW would be redundant.
BUT..... there are a TON of roads paved and non-paved where a dualsport will be much more fun and take you to very interesting places!!!
Go to advrider.com, read the Ride Reports.....and then decide.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I've ridden the 1500 GW, and currently own an ST1300. I'm afraid that the handling of the 1500 GW will disappoint you.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Seven years ago I did a lot of research when I decided that I wanted a road bike again. I was able to borrow friends Harley (ultra), and a GW1800 and other bikes... At the Sheriff station there were several ST1300's which I was ONLY able to get a close look at. I was seriously thinking about the GW. But I decided that 900+ lbs was too much for me and It was going to be my commuter vehicle. That led me to the ST1300A. Recently I knew that the ST1300A will get worn out (I commute), So I started looking again. Now a second new ST1300 is hiding in my garage for when that day occurs. But it is also ready to be ridden if a nephew wants to go on a group trip or IF the old girl needs to go into the shop (never happens). You need a back up bike or a bike to lend to a friend! If you are thinking of a Goldwing then I would agree with the others that you should think about the GW1800. I still have the DRZ400 for the dirt and quick short trips. So you really need three or more bikes.... here more is better. :rolleyes:

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I have a Wing and a ST1300 but my wing is the original Wing GL1000. So my view when I selected the ST13 was that I wanted a bike that was close to the GL1000 and the ST was it. Not the newer wings. Close to size and weight but of course the ST is faster but the old wing is not slow. Just a blink slower than the GL18. Speed wise the 1100 then the 1800, 1000, 1200 then the 1500 being the slowest in quarter mile speed. The ST13 is heavier than the GL1000 but not by much with bags and vetter fairing. The GL15 and GL18 where about 250+lbs heavier. I thought a little about buying a newer wing but my wife rarely rides and never for distance. Also if you are tall make sure you check out your knee area on the wing to make sure you have enough room.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I still have & ride my 26 year old , '91 G W 1500 SE , my wife enjoys it more because of more space for her and more of a wrap-around passenger seat .
I also like my '07 ST because of better handling & now I have the same accessories on it as the GW except reverse. The ST engine is also really close to the GW as far as so little engine vibration.
, More HP , lighter than GW.
I also have kept , so far . my commuter bike , a '05 Shadow Aero , - I use it for errands & other short rides with a local GW group . but you ride it 100-150 miles and you wish you were on one of the other bikes ! If I thin out the herd , the Aero will be the first to go.
"Variety is the spice of life "

STinner

Retired
Bike
2016 Goldwing
2024 Miles
Bought my first ST in'04. put 50k on the clock. Enjoyed it immensely. But my buddy had an '01 wing. Went to the dealer to get tires for the ST...........it was the right color, right mileage and the right price..........an '07 GL1800 bought it 6 years ago. put 35k on it and still have it. Last year I bought a '10 ST with less than 11k. Still ride the wing more. fabricated a custom dash for it, auxiliary gas tank (4 gallons cap.) drinking water tank for those long trips and progressive springs up front. I try to ride the '10 ST but there is just something about leaning the wing into corners and feeling those 6 cylinders pulling you out of them.............then I saw a '17 wing at the dealer last week blue and black WOW Gorgeous 61/2K off list............what will you give me for the '07 and the '10, we'll see. If you can still handle the weight keep the wing...................

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I too was swayed by my father's input. He owned a machine shop for 30 years and had designed and built many different types of equipment. His knowledge of what was built well was well respected. He had a 1980 GW that he put over 125k on in less than 5 years. Bought it after test riding the current Harley offerings.......and was less than impressed. Next was a 1985 limited GW. That was the machine that all others were judged by.

I only buy Honda to this day......not a Goldwing yet....but have thought about it. Two ST1300s keeps me on two wheels even if one is being serviced. Before that it was the V65 Sabre.

To answer any of your questions....only raises more questions... Only you know if it is right. I read somewhere on this forum...."life is short...buy the bike.".

And then beg for forgiveness later.......:please1:. Can I keep the new bike...:gld11:: bgw1::ygw1::ggw1:

ToddC
I think the graphic to which you refer Todd is the following:

A0410CB1-0EC9-419D-BD63-FB7B2233A558.jpeg

Having said that, I would also opt for a smaller bike as a second machine.

I have two Yamaha XS650s (a ‘76 Standard and an ‘81 Special which is becoming a Cafe bike) and I have to admit, I really like riding the smaller lighter bikes - unless I’m off on a big long distance jaunt. I only wish the older bikes were...newer with fuel injection, better brakes and electrical systems that don’t require babysitting etc.

My choice is likely going to be a Suzuki SV650 (the naked version - not the clip-on bar / half fairing “S” version). I did a test ride on a naked SV in May and really liked it. It is actually narrower and lighter than the old XS650 parallel twins and it has a lot more punch plus far less vibration. I have no interest in a cruiser, off-road or adventure bike and I can’t stand the “transformer” styling of most of the other mid-sized road bikes. It almost seems like the OEMs are having a competition to see who can develop the ugliest motorcycle. I think that this era will wind up like the 1970s did for clothing and shoes - the lack of taste will be laughed at in the future.

Anyhow, I’ll keep the oldies too because they ARE pretty and I do enjoy the wrenching and restoration stuff, but for commuting and just booting around, an SV or something like it would be ideal.

Thats my $0.02 (1.76 cents USD).

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I have never owned a GW, but I test rode one at a Honda event. Too big for me, unless I were going x-country. Maybe that is what you want, but having seen a friend jockey one around in parking lots, the fun ends when the destination looms closer.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
'Why have both?'

The question assumes you are comfortable with both bikes so:

1) you like touring
2) you like sport-touring
3) the GoldWing has a plush ride unequaled by the ST
4) few people can ride a GoldWing like an ST

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Someone has already said it - if you're not going to carry a passenger, the GW might be overkill. My brother has one, and it's a great ride, but if I'm riding by myself, I prefer something smaller and more maneuverable. Having said that, I also wouldn't mind having another Valkyrie. I had a '98 with the 6x6 exhaust and darkside rear. Great handling for a huge, heavy cruiser, but still a blast to ride.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Keith, You know that I have both, a ST1300 and a GL1800. I've been planning to sell one of them, but every time I ride either of the bikes, within a mile from the house I always say, "Nope, not selling this one." To me, the Wing feels lighter at slow speeds due to slightly lower seat and much lower center of gravity. I love the never ending torque on the Wing, but the ST seems to eat high speed interstate miles effortlessly. I'm waiting for the release of the new and improved Wing this week. My 401K statement in the mail this week was saying to me, "Just buy the bike."

Oh, also have a 650 Wee in the garage. Not selling that one, either.

Ride Safe
John

Bike
2006 ST1300
Although I have not owned a Wing, I have ridden them extensively out west as rental bikes. Renting the wing was what got me interested in ST's- all the smoothness, power, and handling, without the poor gas mileage, and heavy weight.

I currently own two bikes, my ST1300, and a Honda Helix for around my small town. I really would like one more bike, probably an NC700 or NT700, as a midrange bike. The ST is a great bike, but for summers in Georgia, it's a bit hot.

My wife does not enjoy riding as she once did, so the capacity of the larger bike is not as much of a concern now.

I guess what I'm getting to is that , although the older GW would be a cool bike to have, it's a bit close to the specs of the ST for me to have as a second bike.

Top Bottom