ST vs. GoldWing: why have both?

PanEuropean

Micro Airstream Builder
Bike
2001 GL 1800
STOC #
Hello, I rode 15 years two ST 1100 (1994 & 2001) and for me they were the best bikes, I could imagine for my long distance rides thru the Alps and the rest of Europe. Since 2014 I travelled with my Micro Airstream behind the bikes. In February 2017 I looked curiously into a german bike market page and found a 2001 GL 1800 only 30 km from my home. It was the cheapest GL 1800 in Germany in blue for only 9500 Euros with 82000 kms on the odometer. In best condition nearly without dents and perfect polished. I made a test ride only to have tried it one time in my life. I was surprised and impressed. It was much easier to handle, than I thought before. The engine is like a jet engine, smooth and silent and powerful. I thought two days, how to get the money together and then I bought it. After two weeks on the wing I rode my ST to the technical inspection and wondered, how high it was and how uneasy it was to handle. I got my inspection sticker and decided to sell it. I got only 2600 Euros for it, but it was a good decision. I equipped the wing with a hitch and travelled in 8 months 24000 kms with my new ride. 16000 with my trailer. I visited the north cape in norway, a 10000 km trip in three weeks and for me the GL 1800 is the better long distance touring bike. It is easier to handle, is two inch lower and better to maneuver, when you sit on the bike, needs less gas (400 km with 25 liters) tows much better, offers better air condition thru the windscreen flap. At steep and narrow hairpin passes in the Alps it has enough torque to stay in the 2nd or 3rd gear, where my ST1100 and 1300 friends were in the 1st or 2nd gear with their bikes. The only thing, what was better at the ST, my feet were better out of the rain. I think the GL will stay my travel bike, until I can afford a used blue 2018 Goldwing. Make a test ride and enjoy it. Tommy

Last edited:
Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I still own and ride a 93 1500se, those that have just test rode a 1500 wing say hey don't handle well but they are wrong1500 wings handle quite well but will wallow with low tire pressures and soft suspension settings. it will not give an st a run for its money though. weight is the enemy and you'll feel it after a day in the twistys even without a pasenger. why a wing? it was what i wanted at the time. I got an ST1300 for less weight and carrys more fuel an gets much better mpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Well the bike that started me thinking has now been sold, or at least there is an offer on the table. The seller emailed me today to let me know that I had "dibs" if I wanted the bike since I had seen and ridden it. The other offer was sight unseen.

I told him to take the other deal, but thanks for the consideration. You meet the nicest people on a Honda...

Perhaps in 5 or 6 years, when I retire, I will find a nice used 2019 Wing...

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Why would you get rid of an old bike and buy a older one ? Come on man move into the Twenty-first century :D
Never said anything about losing the ST. Hence the thread title referencing owning BOTH. :)

Now the Wing is being sold to someone else and I can wait for a nice used 2019 or 2020 model to come on the market, about when I retire in 2022 or 2023.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I have a 2003 1300 that I got after my 1100 died in a fire. This year I got a 2012 Victory Vision because the wife likes to ride and we are planning long distance touring. After riding the Victory for a few weeks, I got on the ST and it was like climbing aboard a CBRR. So I kept it for my short ride, in-town bike and the Victory is for the long ride. In terms of passenger comfort, the wife calls it the Rolls Royce. It is definitely not a SPORT tourer. So I think it might be similar to your proposed situation. For now I'm keeping both.

Choice is good.

Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
Felt I should add in my bit. I own a 1500 and a some 1100's. I only use the wing for trips with the SO. When she saw the comfort levels on the back of a wing compared to the 1100 it was only a matter of time. I've replaced front and rear suspension bits on the wing in an attempt to improve the handling, but it still falls short. By all reports the 1800 handles far better than the 15. One annoying thing with the wing is its so damn smooth, several times the rev needle is off the clock, thank goodness for the OD (5th) indicator. Luckily no harm appears to have ever been done. Also a bear to change rear tyres on the 15. If I had to keep one it would be the ST

Bike
2002 ST1100
I got my GW ('99 1500) specifically because my wife wanted a more comfortable ride. I had an NT700 at the time, and she could not sit on it for more than a couple of hours. Since then we have traveled many thousands of miles together on the GW. Both coasts, gulf coast, Orlando, Canada, etc. I purchased an '02 ST1100 last year as a commuter bike. My main purpose was to stop wearing out the GW riding to work and back and save it for traveling. I absolutely love the ST. I would be comfortable traveling long distance with the ST. However, the ST cannot compete with the GW when riding two up. My wife sleeps on the GW, but she does not feel safe on the ST. The suspension on the ST is not up to the task of hauling me and the misses, let alone our luggage. I know I can get a hitch and pull a trailer (which I do with the GW), but the GW can just haul more. For just plain fun, the ST is tops, but for long distance and two up, the GW hands down.
Having a choice, priceless.

Top Bottom