ST vs. GoldWing: why have both?

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
I owned a used GL1500( '89 or '90 ) along with the trusty '91 ST1100 for about 3 yrs.
I kept it long enough to do a VERY good comparo Test between tbe 2 bikes.
Used it quite a bit, and took some nice trips. Great 2 up, but LESS room up front than the ST.
ST's (1100 or 1300) fit me ALOT better, & are more comfortable and better to ride.
The Wing was hard to start & tough on batteries. It liked to drink the fuel, too.
No Xperience with the 1800.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
'Standard' configurations and sport tourers, simply by their design, are both comfortable and the riding position promotes alertness/situational awareness....for me anyway. Not criticizing other configurations at all, I just feel more at home on these.

Earl43P

Wrencher turned Rider
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
I agree with Spiderman, you need 3.

I have a 99 Valkyrie Interstate, just put 1300 miles on it over the past 3 days, twisting around the Robbinsville, NC area. Did the Devil's Triangle and the Dragon (2x).

My 93 Goldwing was my commuter for 2+ years and 56,000 miles. Easy miles with great wind protection. 40 mpg ridden vigorously.

The ST1300 is quicker and sportier, but the wife prefers riding on back of the 1500 Interstates.

I enjoy all 3, but will probably replace the 93 with a newer Goldwing 1800. It's currently garaged up in Pa. for shuttling duty while she visits up there. I ride it home, then back up the next weekend to drive her & car home. I'll sell it for ~$2500 at 106,000+ miles.

I empowered my wife with deciding what SHE drives.
That recent ST 1300 purchase resulted in her getting a Highlander.
She has no say in what I drive, but did resent the 3rd motorcycle.
The Highlander quieted all that noise.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
My first ride upon returning to the riding community a few years ago was a 1982 GL1100 Interstate - cheap, reliable, and well known and understood by both my brother and I. My brother was the wrencher of the group and my main reintroduction to riding after many years of absence. He owned a custom model that I rode enough to get reacquainted and decide to buy my own.

Loved that bike, but felt that the venerable age did not make it the best choice for very long rides away from home (read trans-continental) - certain parts can be more difficult to obtain when an unfortunate break down happens. So on the recommendation of my BIL, I tried out STs. I was and am sold to the handling of the ST over the GL when one up. While I have kept the GL1100 and plan to convert it to a custom model simply for fun riding on short distance hops, my main ride is the ST. The aforementioned BIL also owns a GL1800. The ST is his solo ride, while he switches to the GL when my sister (or nephew, etc...) comes along - it's just more comfortable for passengers.

Of course, I don't have to account to anyone about my toys, so that makes it easy for me. Good fortune to you in resolving how your needs as a rider and husband will be met!

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Thanks to all who have shared an opinion thus far, and to those who have yet to weigh in.

It seems as though the general view is that a GW is the bike you "have to" ride if the Missus won't ride two-up on the ST, but is willing to ride on *something*. Thus far, I have yet to establish either side of that proposition definitively. Despite repeated urging, she has yet to get out on the ST; it is not clear that she'd look more favorably on a 'wing.

So, let's take the two-up scenario out of the picture. What's left?

A lot of you have opined that rather than a bike whose sweet spot largely overlaps my ST, I should be looking in the direction of a dual sport. That's all well and good, except that that is not the sort of riding I want to do, or at least not now. Nor is it what I outlined in the original proposition.

I have a hankering to do some long tours once I am released from the shackles of corporate servitude, and I am not entirely certain the ST is the right choice for it. It's physically capable of it, for sure, but is it really the "right" choice?

Several people have made remarks about the handing of the (1500?) Wing relative to the ST. The specific bike in question has had both front and rear suspension upgrades, as well as a fork brace added. It was certainly a different, more "plush" ride than my ST (as it naturally would be) but it felt like the sort of bike I *could* do consecutive 1,000 mile days on and not end the day battered and bent and beaten. I've gone 750+ on the ST on several occasions, and have been glad to get off for the night when I reached my destination. Even after consecutive instances of more modest 450-500 mile days, I reach the point where I want to say "Enough, at least for a spell."

Some of that might be alleviated with a different seat (I'm working on getting a Russell Day Long), but some of it is more fundamental. The ST is windier than the Wing, and even with riser blocks it positions me in a more leaned-over posture that eventually makes my hands and elbows tired. The oft-discussed engine heat is not an issue for me, nor am I especially aware of back pressure; just general buffeting.

Others have pointed out that a failure of some critical part, on a bike nearly two decades old, while I am far from home, could be.... let's say "inconvenient". True enough. but then, the 'wing is 17 and my ST is 13; at some point that difference becomes pretty thin. And there are a LOT more 'wings, of nearly all vintages, out there than there are ST1300's. Seems to me that the odds would be in my favor even with the older bike (and it has only 27,500 miles on it; it sat for ten years before being bought two years ago by the present owner, who has put 7,000 miles on it in that time.)

It IS carburetted rather than fuel injected, which would mean I'd have to learn how to live with that. But I've tackled some of the ST maintenance under careful adult supervision and not ruined it (yet) so why would carb maintenance be any more daunting?

Finally this: I'm not talking about an either/or deal here. The ST is definitely NOT going away. The question is, will Brutus get a Big Brother? If not now, maybe later: I hear the subtext that the 1800 series is preferable to the older models, and I can see the truth of it. It is, of course, also $pendier; the asking price for the bike I looked at seemed sufficiently modest as to make the risk minimal if things didn't work out.

In the end, this may all turn out to have been an intellectual fantasy. Mrs. Fun has adopted the stance that she might be willing to let me deal away the ST if I really wanted the 'wing instead, but a two-bike driveway is, for the moment at least, apparently a non-starter.

But keep those comments coming!

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
I have owned simultaneously a 1984 GL1200 & a 1991 ST1100. (pre 2005) I sometimes regret getting rid of the ST1100 Was definitely more fun to ride. The GL1200 was great for bringing stuff with though.
Both bikes ridden prior to any real training classes. The ST1100 was more capable than I was.
I currently own and ride a 1988 GL1500 Wing (since 2005) and a 2010 ST1300 (since 2011)
Since the 2nd pairing I have and still do (at least every other year) take training classes to improve and stay sharp with my riding skills. I am also a Trainer for the GWRRA Group.
What does that mean? I am more capable of getting the most from these 2 machines.
The ST1300 will do most everything from Long hauls, twisties as aggressive as your skills allow, daily commuting and even the occasional back road you wouldn't take your wing on. ( someone mentioned ADV Bike?)ST1300 is by far more fun to ride.
My Wing is reserved for the rare occasion the wife will hop on and for the GWRRA group rides seeing how the CB is a must (IMO) for groups that size. (not that I can't add to the ST) $$$$ Already have one on the Wing
The Wing is better for towing the Camper (IMO) than the ST so no hitch on my ST yet. The Wing is still ahead in bringing stuff with too. (Cargo Trailer too)
Comfort wise on pair number 2? I actually prefer my ST1300 these days over the Wing and have rode both out West and to the South\East
I am leaning toward (as others mentioned) ST & ADV bike. More interesting roads to travel and I don't need much!!!!
The wife has gone on the ST which is OK for her short hops.
BOTH bikes have been SUPER reliable!! Currently 157,000 plus on the Wing and only 37,000 plus on the ST
The ST1300 will eat miles just as good as the Wing at interstate speeds and still get better mileage and range per tank if your in the zone.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Finally this: I'm not talking about an either/or deal here. The ST is definitely NOT going away. The question is, will Brutus get a Big Brother? If not now, maybe later: I hear the subtext that the 1800 series is preferable to the older models, and I can see the truth of it. It is, of course, also $pendier; the asking price for the bike I looked at seemed sufficiently modest as to make the risk minimal if things didn't work out.
I just added a 2012 GL1800 to the stable to keep my 2004 ST1300ABS company. Having just completed a 750 mile weekend in western MD, WV and VA on the GL1800, I feel confident to weigh in.

The Wing is superior for longer distances. I've done many 275-300 mile days on the ST, and have updated to a Corbin seat, Helibars, and MC Larry highway pegs. I can never find the just-right position on the bike. That doesn't stop me from riding it.... but this recent jaunt on the GW convinced me it is the cross-country champion. When the going got twisty, the GW held it's own. We found some spectacular roads in western MD that were 10-12% grades, twisty as could be, and no guard rails. At no time did I think "gee, I could have gone faster on my ST" which really surprised me. I am not an overly aggressive rider, and I'm sure the ST can do much more than I am able to do. After a weekend on the GW, my ST feels much more like a crotch rocket to me!

The ST is like a Corvette.....ready to scream at a moments notice and look great doing it. The Wing is more like a Mercedes S class....competent, capable, and with few peers.

I hope I can keep 'em both, but if the $$ don't add up I'll have a great time figuring out which to keep.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I think you answered your own question. It is affordable, low miles, close to home, it is a Honda GW. GO BUY IT. Ride it for a while, compare. If you want the new GW later. You can always sell the 1500 anytime because it is a 300k mile machine.

ok, everyone take cover.....

* What would I tell the Missus, as to why I "need" more than one bike when it's her opinion that "need" doesn't enter into the picture at all? (And of course, she is right...)

She is right, you do not need another bike any more than she needs all those shoes in her closet.

It is that you want it and it is affordable and it looks good on your feet.... She is right, no need, just want.
Variety is what make life interesting. So go buy it... you say "i bike to have fun" that is your justification.

ok, Where is the popcorn....

Last edited:
For those of you- and I know it's a not insubstantial group- who have (or have had, either together or in sequence) both an ST and a Gold Wing: what were the motivations behind each choice? Which did you have first, and what drove you to get the other variety? Did you have them concurrently, or sequentially? If you kept one and sold the other, which one went which way, and why?

Background for my questions:

When I was a lad and the Gold Wing was brand new, my father carefully taught me that it was a very high standard, and one against which all others were to be judged. He never had one, but always admired them. That formed the basis of my own taste.

What I look for in a bike is smooth ride, comfort, enough size to go all day at interstate speeds yet enough agility to have loads of fun in twisties (without being terribly aggressive, I'll add), shaft drive, water cooling, integrated fairings and luggage, and high reliability. The ST ticks each of those boxes, and more.

I've had my ST for 3+ seasons now and love it dearly. BUT: a 25th Anniversary GL1500 SE has popped up on Craigslist, just a few miles from home. It has some nicks and scratches and a couple cracks in the bodywork (not major, but noticeable). It's priced at the lower end of the price spectrum I see on a national motorcycle sales website, with very modest mileage. I am trying to work out:

* When would I ride one versus the other, and why?
* Would it potentially be worth the domestic stress if a second bike took a place in the household? (It took some work just to get permission to get *one* bike; resistance to another might be very high indeed)
* What would I tell the Missus, as to why I "need" more than one bike when it's her opinion that "need" doesn't enter into the picture at all? (And of course, she is right...)

Thanks for your thoughts-
If you do not ride two up, it is a tough choice, but only if the Wing is post 2001 model, and ABS recommended. I owned an '02 wing from'04 through'14 when I totaled it. Bought a new '09 ST1300PA in '12 that I handed down to my son this summer. I have also ridden an older version wing for a day in the Denver foothills. Not even in the same ball park for handling, and no fuel injection. I have used both bikes for all kinds of riding from grocery run to cross country touring. Even did a track day on the Wing just for fun. I'm an old guy, but have been told I ride 20 years younger.

Now the comparison. The Wing was a great ride, eating up miles while still being easy to handle at slow speed. Great maneuverability for a big bike. The low seat makes stops comfortable. It is the ultimate two up bike, which is not a factor for me. The ABS brakes and anti dive fork make stopping sure and safe.

The ST is a different animal. The ride is more aggressive, but still comfortable. I liked the somewhat less, but still adequate wind envelope, and the adjustable windshield is phenomenal. I rode the Wing only 2000 miles in the two years after I bought the ST Police bike. I would still have it had it not become a rear bumper ornament for aHonda Pilot.

I don't recommend a bike that was actually in Police service for a few years. Just too beat up. Service on the P model is also a PIA because of the need to do more disassembly even to reach the battery. On the up side, I scared the **** out of a lot of bad drivers on the Cop bike with modulated headlights. The riding position is very different on the ST, and the butt gets a bit more tired than on the Wing. The seat is higher, center of gravity is higher, and no reverse gear, a problem for inseam deficient guys like me. Handling is superb, making the Dragon an easy ride in the hills. Passing trucks on the expressway is a tail wagging adventure, especially with weight packed high and the windshield raised. Have to love the air flow with the shield down.

I don't see a lot of reason to have both unless going two up, but you can't really have too many bikes.

Numbersman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My GoldWing buddy has a 2005 GL1800 Anniversary Wing. He's ridden since he was 16 and has ridden an enforcement motor for 38 years. Having graduated from the CHP motor instructor academy he was the motor training Instructor for the local PD and later the training Sgt. for the local SO.

He too can get more out of a Wing H-D or BMW than a lot of riders can out of their ST. And when we ride he and my ST buddy disappear into the sunset. He rides the Wing like a lot of people wish they could ride an ST. And of course he can ride the GS faster than the Wing.

He loves riding his Wing with or without his wife (although she forces him to ride much slower LOL). That said he got the 1200 Adventure because it's more nimble and a bit quicker than the Wing. He has no intention of getting rid of the Wing. It's box stock except for tapered roller bearings fork springs and some LEDs on the front wheel hub.

The Wing is plush and smooth but doesn't have to be an ST with a sea anchor unless that's how you like to ride it. But it's a big bike and heavy when you're just moving it around the garage or driveway.

Like any bike your skill level and riding preference will determine what results you get.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Having seen the description/ Review of the new 2018 GW, I know what will be replacing my ST!

Just need to get my Vaquero paid off (should manage that in a year - 18 months), and I'll be taking on another huge payment, but a 2019, 0r 2020 (depending upon when I'm ready, and available colors), Goldwing is definitely in my future.

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
Keith,

9 years ago I bought a new ST-1300 (2008) After 6+ years and 61,000 miles, I added a 2001 GW 1800 to the garage. The first year with the GW, I rode the ST 3 times. The second year I rode it once. During that time I accumulated 30,000 miles on the GW. Guess I'm just a one-bike-at-a-time kinda guy. Just sold the ST.

JohnConner
: bgw1:
:usflag1:

So easy to answer, for me anyway.

Both ST's are "for me" mostly. Awesome around town and one-up touring bike.

Wing? Two-up riding, plain and simple. Wing for one-up? Not a chance.

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I got back into riding about 10 years ago when a co-worker found a slightly used ST1100 at a great price and I bought his other ST1100 and haven't regretted it a minute. I've enjoyed all 20,000+ trouble free miles that I've logged on the ST. About a year before retiring my wife asks me what she needed in order to start riding with me. I told her that she needed a helmet, textile jacket and pants, boots gloves....all the basic riding gear AND that I needed a bigger bike so that SHE would be more comfortable and enjoy riding. Well, I kept my end of the bargain and bought a 2012 GL1800 but she has yet to get all the gear that she needs to start riding with me. I'm confident that she will and we'll do some great touring in the future.

I just got back from a week in the Georgia and North Carolina Smoky Mountains on the Wing which spent a day at Traxxion Dynamics getting the full front and rear suspension upgrade so that SHE will be more comfortable and enjoy riding better. The remaining miles in the mountains and the trip home were "night and day" different thanks to the suspension upgrade. The Wing handles so much better and I experience much less fatigue on the longer rides. In fact, all the way home I kept thinking that the ST will probably be for sale in the near future.

Top Bottom