Stopping cats from using bike as a den

Afternoon all.

I live in the UK and have no access to a garage or anything like that, best i can do is some off street parking, now given the wonderful climate we have over here i keep the bike covered 99% of the time, however the local cat population seem to think it's a great idea to jump under the cover and use my seat or tank as a nice place to spend a few hours, normally it does not bother me much but just found out the lazy sods won't even get our for a p1ss, they just seem to hang their backside over the edge and let rip, so now it's time to get nasty with them, the wife has suggested poison but i can't do that it's a wee bit hard even for me so looking for ideas on how to keep them off the bike.

In the past i have used the plastic spikes (see attachment) glued to hardboard (sometimes called HDF or fiberboard) which worked ok for a while, however after about 4 months of UK weather they started falling apart and growing mould so not a good move, in an ideal world i'l like to be able to fix some of these spikes to something that would be small enough to fit in the top box, so small bit for pillion seat, small bit for riders seat and small bit that cover the tank, but my poor little brain has no idea what to use, anyone have any suggestions for what to use in conjunction with the spikes or any other ideas, and no i don't own a shotgun :eek:

All1

Attachments

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Re: Stopping cats fromusing bike as a den

Mothballs always work when you need to deter critters. A small mesh bag containing a handful of mothballs, hung from any handy point on the bike under the cover, should do the trick. Just remove the bag and store it with your bike cover when it's time to ride.

Good luck.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A

Look for bird spikes that they put on Eve's to keep the birds out.

Or visit the local Zoo and collect some Wolf droppings........that might spook them..:mw1:

Probably too much work for your situation.......but I use live traps and take the offender to the local impound.

ToddC

Bike
2010 ST1300

Mouse snap traps work great. They are not strong enough to hurt the cats but startling enough that they eventually get the idea that they are not welcome. Work great in the home as well to teach cats or dogs to stay off the couch, table, counters. If you have an animal that keeps stealing food hide a mouse trap in a sandwich and they quickly learn not to touch anything not in their food bowl.

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #

Old style mouse traps. They work great!

Bike
2010 Honda ST13

Old style mouse traps.
I think a mouse trap could get stuck on a paw and even if it didn't cause permanent damage, it seems a little harsh.

Maybe just setting something heavy on the cover over the seat/tank would eliminate a resting spot.

Bike
VStrom 650

As a disgruntled gardener, I would start with mouse traps, then an air rifle, then dynamite.
Upt'North.

OP
OP

I think a mouse trap could get stuck on a paw and even if it didn't cause permanent damage, it seems a little harsh.

Maybe just setting something heavy on the cover over the seat/tank would eliminate a resting spot.
I tend to agree a wee bit harse for the cats, i was hoping i could come up with some idea to use the spikes i have or maybe some kind of device that squirts water when it detects movement but i do guess mouthballs will be a nice cheap option.

All1

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #

Go out with a water spray. Cats learn very quickly, and if they know that they are going to get sprayed at some random time, they will learn not to go under there. They hate water.
But get rid of the smell of cat first.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

Why not just tighten up the cover so they can't get in?

scootac

Will Ride for Food

Thin piece of wood with 6D finishing nails all through it strapped to any flat surface???

OP
OP

Why not just tighten up the cover so they can't get in?
It is fairly lose right now (i like the idea of air circulating round the inside of the bike) but i have tightened it as far as it will go and they still get under it.

All1

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

It is fairly lose right now (i like the idea of air circulating round the inside of the bike) but i have tightened it as far as it will go and they still get under it.

All1
Maybe a few straps over the seat and tank, outside the cover?

Bike
2010 ST1300

If this is a full bike cover, and extends to the ground, can you lay something like a 2x4 (or a number of short pieces) on the excess fabric 'securing' it to the ground? Air will still circulate because I doubt you will be able to make it airtight.

There is a youtube video of an anti squirrel sensor. The 'inventor' connected a hose with an electromagnetic valve to an infrared motion sensor. When the squirrel got to the bird feeder, he was met with a blast of water. Great idea, and funny to watch. Developing something like this would be fun for someone w/ the training and ability.

As a disgruntled gardener, I would start with mouse traps, then an air rifle, then dynamite.
Upt'North.
I would expect dynamite is a controlled substance in London, and probably frowned upon by the gendarmes*.

*No gendarmes? Maybe the Bobbies frown?

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #

put a "NO CATS" sign on both sides of bike--kind of like the gun free zones here in USA--works great

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A

Go to a local sporting/hunting shop and purchase a small vile of Mountain Lion Piss, put a few drops on a rag and leave it near the bike. Your problem will go away.

scootac

Will Ride for Food

Go to a local sporting/hunting shop and purchase a small vile of Mountain Lion Piss, put a few drops on a rag and leave it near the bike. Your problem will go away.
Or maybe you'll get some REALLY BIG kitty cat!!!

Why not use the spray bottle product in the pet aisle of grocery/department store that is branded as something called: "OFF"?...it contains chemicals that are supposedly safe to use on areas in home with housecats where you do not want to be on...like couch, stairways, tables, chairs where a cat might "lounge"...seems like you could use this product to spray insides of your cover & even spay an old towel & place on seat & tank of bike...that's what I'm going to use if the cats start using my bike & cover for their "play-tent"!!

Top Bottom