Neutral light issues

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
My 2001 1100A has developed a neutral light issue.
It seems that the indicator light is on when the bike isn't actually IN neutral....usually the problem occurs with the bike in first, but once in a while, to make it interesting, the light is on in second.
When I release the clutch with the light on and the bike actually in gear, the light goes out.

Is there an adjustment?

Thanks

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
That sounds suspiciously like a blown clutch diode. It is a 3 blade component, looking rather like the two blade fuses on the ST1300. I think its a bit larger on the 1100. It plugs into a connector in the main wiring harness, and is often covered over with the tape that is wrapped around the harness. So to find it you have to feel for the bump. Someone with access to an ST1100 will be able to tell you exactly where it is, but if I remember correctly, it is in the thick loom that passes down the frame under the left hand side, under the dummy tank cover. Shown as Part#1 on this diagram for a 2001 ST1100A, with the corresponding socket shown in the loom.

I cannot say that it is definitely that, but it sounds like a good candidate from my experience.
If you decide that it is that, then before you replace it, consider that something caused it to blow. In my case it was when I was fiddling with the starter relay - a dodgy connection probably put 12v down the wrong line. Diodes / rectifiers don't like that.

Basically, the neutral light is connected to a number of things. From memory these are the neutral position sensor, the clutch lever and the side stand. The diode prevents the voltage from one of these passing to the other. You'd need to look at the circuit diagram to work out how it connects. I guess that you could fashion your own with two diodes connected pointing towards each other and plugging them into the connector. You'd need to work out what current rating is required. I doubt that it is much - its only the neutral light.

When mine blew, it would come on every time I pulled the clutch lever in when riding. The side stand switch also plays a part, but can't remember exactly how that showed up.

Part # 31700196000 - google it to see what it looks like, but please check the part number for yourself.

Harness - Clutch Diode.jpg

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
What John said.

ST1100 engine start safety interlock schematic (sidestand, clutch switch and diode, neutral switch, etc.):

A34CDD2C-CE1B-412F-80E9-59E9330D6B6C.jpg

HTH

John

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
The problem sounds intermittent. If true, then my educated guess is it's not a bad diode. If it was, the problem would be not be intermittent. My best guess is a funky/ sticky neutral switch. The mechanical stuff usually goes bad before the electrical stuff.

Last edited:
Bike
St1300
Sounds to me that clutch cable has been chaffing the harness contans the ground to the neutral light. Pulling the clutch tentions the cable applying pressure to the harness and causing a ground path and lighting the lamp. Releaing the clutch removes the tention from the clutch cable, removing the pressure against the harness. Only occurring in 1st or 2nd could be because front supension height changes when moving.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Sounds to me that clutch cable has been chaffing the harness contans the ground to the neutral light. Pulling the clutch tentions the cable applying pressure to the harness and causing a ground path and lighting the lamp. Releaing the clutch removes the tention from the clutch cable, removing the pressure against the harness. Only occurring in 1st or 2nd could be because front supension height changes when moving.
Ummmm . . . . there is no clutch "cable". It is a hydraulic system, same as your 1300.

Bike
St1300
Because the problem is intermittent, I would be looking for a harness problem. If the light is not on at full intensity it is receiving ground from an alternate path. Resistive shorts can occur between conductors if bound to tightly together.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Ahhh gee, thanks Jim, but I would never give you a "reluctant" :plus1: if you were correct on something.
Not sure what you mean, Bush.... So, would I get a non-reluctant :plus1: , or no :plus1: at all ??

BTW, do you live close to Vancouver ? I may attempt a Trans Canadian Quest next year - Halifax to Vancouver in < 90 hours with two other Riders. One guy is from Huntsville, Ontario.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
A full fledged :plus1: for sure. About 40 minutes out of Vancouver here. Less than 4 days to cross Canada sounds gruelling, not to mention dangerous, if any night riding is involved.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
A full fledged :plus1: for sure. About 40 minutes out of Vancouver here. Less than 4 days to cross Canada sounds gruelling, not to mention dangerous, if any night riding is involved.
I have a set of high lumen LED spotlights on my bike and besides, we like the adrenaline rush, and it's cheaper than drugs !!

See : http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/transcan/

BTW, We will need someone to sign our witness form when we end the ride in Vancouver. Know anyone reliable in or near, say within 40 minutes from Vancouver ? There should be at least three of us on a ST1100, Gold Wing and R1200RT. That is, if my old ST1100 doesn't break down during the ride. I figure, if I replace enough parts before the ride starts, I may complete the ride without any problems.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Best suggestion I can think of for you to get the proof that you arrived in Vancouver is to stop at Trev Deeley Motorcycles. They are in Vancouver, but located right at the border between the Cities of Vancouver and Burnaby and, they are just a couple of minutes north of the Trans Canada Highway (#1) which you will be on. I imagine you won't want to waste time driving any further into Vancouver traffic than necessary. There is an HOV lane (m/c allowed) on the west side of the Port Mann bridge that should help bypass traffic on that section of the freeway as well, as it can be very heavy in the morning hours and somewhat less through much of the afternoon.

As far as picking up receipts along the way, you will find our famous Canadian institution, Tim Hortons, in most every good sized town along the way.

http://www.trevdeeley.com

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for that info, but we will be arriving in Vancouver at about 7:30 PST , so I doubt if the dealer will be open. And as a principle, I don't frequent H-D dealers, BTW. Honda, BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati and even Triumph dealers would be acceptable. We will probably pull off HWY1 at E. Hastings.

And yes, we will be hitting the Timmies along the way to Vancouver. FYI : We even have Tim Horton's in the States, including here in west Michigan. The only problem with some Timmies is that they are too crowded and we would waste too much time waiting in line to be served. They say, " To go far, stop quick". The time could be used better to get more sleep. So, we often grab a sandwich or sub out of the cooler or even a hot dog off the roller in the gas station.

Last edited:
Top Bottom