Volar pads at 15,000 miles

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
2 weeks ago I went to renew my registration pass the safety inspection etc. I was surprised I failed - the tech said my pads were too low - almost on the rotor. This surprised me as I had given the pads a close inspection this summer when I removed the rear wheel from a flat. They were Volar pads, I got about 1.3 years ago, and got 15,000 miles out of them, and replaced them with EBC pads that the local Honda dealer had in stock. After breaking the new pads in, I can't say they feel much different. The fronts are also Volar and are holding up well, not sure if I use a lot of rear brake or what. (I do know the rear rotor is a bit more scored than the fronts - was like that when I acquired the bike.)

Here's the old ones - caught them just in time. I liked them and recommend them - especially for the price.

20171016_182653_CROPPED.jpg

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
How can you recommend pads that only gave 15,000 miles, when OEM pads, at least for me, will go around 50,000 miles??

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
If they went that fast after replacing the rear tire did you check to make sure they weren't binding on the rotor somehow before you replaced them? Seems odd for them to wear that fast on the rear wheel, unless you happen to be a rear wheel braker.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
How can you recommend pads that only gave 15,000 miles, when OEM pads, at least for me, will go around 50,000 miles??
Well, he didn't recommend them, but I do. Mainly because they cost a heck of a lot less. I hate getting ripped-off. And besides Bush, you may be comparing apples to oranges, since you and dkruitz may have completely different riding styles, etc.

And I concur with Dwalby; I think his rear brake may have been dragging since usually the front brakes do the most work.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I hate getting ripped-off.
When a set of OEM rear pads can be had for just under $35.00 from Partzilla and will last more than three times longer than the Volar pads (judging by the OP's experience), I wonder who is really getting ripped off? If the Volar rear pad set is costing less than $10.00, then there is still no real "saving".

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Might be time to do a rear caliper rebuild... seals, slider and hanger pins. Only 15K on even aftermarket rears is abnormal, IMHO

John

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Might be time to do a rear caliper rebuild... seals, slider and hanger pins. Only 15K on even aftermarket rears is abnormal, IMHO

John
John : How many miles do you get out of set of front & rear pads ? And what is your riding style ? Mostly highway, in town , or a mix ? If a mix, what percent highway & town.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
John : How many miles do you get out of set of front & rear pads ? And what is your riding style ? Mostly highway, in town , or a mix ? If a mix, what percent highway & town.
Hi Jim. Hard to say as over the years I’ve often replaced pads before big trips thinking I was getting close but finding some wear still available, usually the fronts which are deceptive. I have kept a few sets as back ups and usually carry one to give to another STrider if needed at a STOC gathering (+ VRR, starter relay, clutch diode, etc). If I had to guess I’d say ~35K to wear out a set of fronts. I get at least 50K out of a set of rears. I just put in my fourth set. All OEM Honda pads. Galfer SS lines and well maintained calipers/master cylinders.

Riding style...? I live in the heartland. I’ve been retired a long time, no commuting. AlmoST no “in town” riding. All rides are for pleasure and it takes me 10 minutes to get out of town. I take at least one long trip a year (2-6K, WeSTOC) and as many nearby STOC events as I can. Lots of freeway, lots of secondary riding. I try to ride “The Pace”... smooth transitions, engine braking, some trail braking, etc. I always use both brakes. I’m not a Ricky Racer (3/4” chicken strips). Any of you that have ridden with me can chime in. :)

John

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Any of you that have ridden with me can chime in.
Never have ridden with you, but I'm sure it would be a pleasure! Just wanted to say, for Jim's benefit, that your riding style closely matches mine and we get very similar wear rates on our rear pads. However, I do get much more out of my front OEM pads. From my records of my old '95, it appears I only changed the front pads once in 105,000 miles! The first time was about 72,000 miles and the original OEM rear pads went just under 50,000 miles

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I replaced my front tire yesterday. It looked like the front Volar Kevlar pads still had about 10K miles left on them, but I went ahead and replaced them anyway after 37K miles.

Most of my riding is on the slab,BTW.

Bike
2000 ST1100
When a set of OEM rear pads can be had for just under $35.00 from Partzilla and will last more than three times longer than the Volar pads (judging by the OP's experience), I wonder who is really getting ripped off? If the Volar rear pad set is costing less than $10.00, then there is still no real "saving".
Same here. At 67,222 miles only on my second set of O.E.M. Probably good to 100K.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Brake pad wear really depends on how often and hard you use your brakes. I just replaced the front pads on my bike at @24000 miles ( should have done it sooner). I replaced the rears for the 2nd time. No dragging on the front or rear brake calipers. I use my bike for demos when coaching the BRC-2. I practice lots of quick stops. I also practice lots of slow speed maneuvers dragging the rear brake slightly as I do tight turns and weaves. I took an Advanced Riders Coarse last year wear we got up to 3rd gear in a parking lot then worked towards locking up the brakes then backed off slightly to find the "threshold" for our bikes. I practice this alot more than I should now, but I sure can stop in a short distance if I need to. :eek:

Jim are you using the sintered or semi-metallic pads?

Top Bottom