2018 Goldwings

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is it just me or does the front view of the new GL1800 resemble another bike we know and love? In fact the whole reduced size fairing looks very ST-like.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
It does look very ST Like.
Including an electric windscreen which has been sorely lacking on the Gold Wing.

The new GW confirms my suspicion as to why the ST is no longer made. Rather than move the ST into GW territory, they moved the GW towards the ST. With a much higher price tag, of course.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Including an electric windscreen which has been sorely lacking on the Gold Wing.

The new GW confirms my suspicion as to why the ST is no longer made. Rather than move the ST into GW territory, they moved the GW towards the ST. With a much higher price tag, of course.
Maybe, BUT.. now they have the electronics.. so, take 80% of that PLUS the Crosstourer V4 1200cc engine and frame, wrap it with some plastic and integrated bags and you can sell a new ST1200 for 24k.

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
I like everything I've read about the new GW, except the fuel capacity was reduced. Somehow the engineers think 200 miles or less is an acceptable range on a touring motorcycle. They just don't get it. There are places in the west where you are on thin ice with that limited a range.

JohnConner
: bgw1:
:usflag1:

Bike
2021 Honda Goldwing
Is it just me or does the front view of the new GL1800 resemble another bike we know and love? In fact the whole reduced size fairing looks very ST-like.
I could not agree more .. looks very much like an ST from certain angles. Of course, that's a good thing.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Fuel tank isn't the only thing shrunk in a negative way. Noticed that the saddlebags on the new GW are only 30 liters each vs 35 liters each on both ST variants and CTX1300. The rear tire may be a 200 series like my CTX but is an inch smaller diameter than the 17 inches on the ST and CTX (which is also a 200 series rear tire).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It does look very ST Like.

+1 On the ST-like part. I don't think it resembles the ST at all but that it looks like more like bikes that fall into the Sport category in general, and less like the GoldWing.

I do like the looks though. A LOT. It makes older Wings look bulbous. You could see the direction in the 2012 redesign.

I just got off the phone with my GW buddy and told him he has to check out the new 'Wing. Unfortunately it doesn't it's not available yellow. But there IS Pearl White! If I had a place to park one, I'd get a gym membership so I could move it around!

-1 on the shrunken gas tank. The press release did say that engineers give it the same range as the previous Wing with the larger gas tank. If that's true then no harm no foul. Still I hate give-backs. That cut about 6.7lbs from the GVW and lowered the CG by .5". (Ok I have NO idea about the CG— just sayin'.) I could live with having the 'full gallon' back.

The reduced baggage capacity doesn't bother me. I like to travel light if I can and there are day bags and luggage racks. (At 60,000+ miles my buddy's 2005 trunk is showing some stress cracks from the rack.) The armrest/backrest throne-bit does put me off slightly but that could be dealt with easily enough.

In my memory my '77 GL1000 overall seemed a little smaller and slightly svelte compared to my ST so I've not been much for 'Wings since they turned into a turn-key tourer. But this new one has my attention if not my wallet. But with DCT it's really tempting. Seriously tempting. Fortunately I don't have the room. I'm not looking closely at the specs on the freak off-chance that the overall width is the same or less as the ST!

Rather than move the ST into GW territory, they moved the GW towards the ST. With a much higher price tag, of course.
And with much more creature comfort and possibly not that much of a sacrifice in handling for an experienced rider.

Mellow said:
now they have the electronics.. so, take 80% of that PLUS the Crosstourer V4 1200cc engine and frame, wrap it with some plastic and integrated bags and you can sell a new ST1200 for 24k.
That would rip the wallet right out of my pocket and the plastic right out of my wallet. 'SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I agree with Mellow! Honda would be very smart and simply pulled out the 1800 flat 6 and put in the 1200 V four. Then they would have two bikes on the same platform. Manufacturing loves common parts. Kind of like their Rebel 300 / 500. Then we would have the best of both worlds! GW1800 and GW1200. (as we see it ST1800 and ST1200). Gee I hope Honda is listening to us.....

Besides Germany needs a bike to be able to do 150+ mph. I remember driving the autobahn (early on a Sunday) doing 130 mph (at red line) in the slow lane and having cars whizzing past me like I was standing still!.....

Last edited:
STOC #
I like looking at the numbers. I've been putting bike specs in a spreadsheet for years. Rake, trail, wheelbase, weight, seat height etc. This new GW, compared to the ST, is 125 pounds heavier, eight inches longer, more rake less trail but easier to sit on. This bike is NO WHERE NEAR sport touring territory.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I had the 1994 ST out the other day to intentionally empty its tank getting it ready for coolant hose and timing belt rehab- my low fuel light came on at 289 miles! So if the new GW tank will get you 200 miles, that’s not bad, but for a cross country bike, it could be better- I usually do day rides (Point A to A) rides, so the range wouldn’t bother me- same with the smaller hard bags. The look is really striking - other than the smaller bags that some may not like, they really hit a home run on this one.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
I like everything I've read about the new GW, except the fuel capacity was reduced. Somehow the engineers think 200 miles or less is an acceptable range on a touring motorcycle. They just don't get it. There are places in the west where you are on thin ice with that limited a range.

We can cover 200 miles in under 2.5-3 hours. Most ST/GW bladders can last 5+ :)

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
According to fuelly the GW 1800 gets ~39 mpg. 39 * 1.22 = 47.6 mpg * 5.5 gallons = 262 miles per tank....
It would be nice if it had an optional extra 2 minimum to 4 maximum gallon bladder under the seat to extend the range..
There are fun remote roads here out west that are far from fuel.... On one of our trips the "planned" fuel stop was closed and out of fuel. We just made it to the next stop on fumes.......

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/gl1800

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
I also saw a STish resemblance. Like what they did with the engine and looks but the ST is still the largest potential fuel range out there standard with out adding fuel cells that I recall.
I think Honda may be trying to draw the younger guys with the new tech stuff too.

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
According to fuelly the GW 1800 gets ~39 mpg. 39 * 1.22 = 47.6 mpg * 5.5 gallons = 262 miles per tank....
It would be nice if it had an optional extra 2 minimum to 4 maximum gallon bladder under the seat to extend the range..
There are fun remote roads here out west that are far from fuel.... On one of our trips the "planned" fuel stop was closed and out of fuel. We just made it to the next stop on fumes.......

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/gl1800
Keeping in mind that what is reported on fuelly is with the OLD Gold Wing running the OLD engine with the OLD gas tank (6.6 gal). You won't see real world results from the supposedly much improved mpg (1.2 better mpg) with the NEW engine in the NEW 2018 Gold Wing with NEW gas tank (5.5 gal) until sometime after it starts shipping to dealers in February 2018. Hopefully 47.6 mpg is what is reported. We'll see.

I really don't see much issue with proper planning about where stations are located when travelling in areas where they are far and few between. My CTX is rated same as the old GW with a 5.1 gal tank. When riding in the higher elevations out west I am consistently around 52 mpg resulting in over 250 miles/tank and usually looking for fuel around 220-230 miles. Especially when it's very warm to hot temps (and you all know how this engine loves heat). In lower plains states mpg is a little lower so I look to fill at around 210-220 miles and often go 215 miles when travelling here in the Midwest. I would anticipate a similar range with this new Wing.

Last edited:

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
I wonder ... what kind of actual difference will be seen between the "Sport" driving mode and "Econ". I'll assume the posted mileage would be in the default "Tour" mode. And just for giggles, between standard and DCT. I'm giving the DCT serious consideration.

Top Bottom