2018 Goldwings

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Bike
2007 ST1300
The new 2018 GW Tour has everything I am looking for in a bike.
I have the Pearl white as my favorite.
I can see one in my near future.
Will have to adjust to the lower range of the tank though as compared to my ST.

Bike
'08 ST1300
--sundry thoughts,

--In the past , this has been a very polarizing bike; too car like they claim;
--An interesting update of 40 year platform; infotainment, DCT, new front end; is the air cleaner still buried?
--This (the "Goldwing Tour") (not the "Goldwing Basic/Bagger" aka old F6B) is, has , and always will be a two person intended bike; will the passenger like it?

--but a lot of complexity, a lot of coin; I'm patient; not an early adopter; just remember; a car depreciates by half over 5 years;
--this is Honda's flagship bike, they are going to get it right, I think;
--you'll probably see some real good deals on 2012 thru 2017 models;

--Do all these new electronic bikes really work when it rains? better get the extended warranty;

Last edited:

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
--sundry thoughts,

--In the past , this has been a very polarizing bike; too car like they claim;
--An interesting update of 40 year platform; infotainment, DCT, new front end; is the air cleaner still buried?
--This is, has , and always will be a two person intended bike; will the passenger like it?

--but a lot of complexity, a lot of coin; I'm patient; not an early adopter; just remember; a car depreciates by half over 5 years;
--this is Honda's flagship bike, they are going to get it right, I think;
--you'll probably see some real good deals on 2012 thru 2017 models;

--Do all these new electronic bikes really work when it rains? better get the extended warranty;

Yes, if I decide to get one, the extended warranty does sound like a good idea.

JohnConner
: bgw1:
:usflag1:

Bike
VStrom 650
+1 Coolbreez1.
It's never a good idea to be a test pilot and extended warranties will become the norm in my opinion.
You have only got to look at recent BMW new bike launches and subsequent recalls, and Honda have had their fair share, VFR1200f anyone?
FWIW.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
Now there's a funny thing.
After the above post I thought I would check out CycleWorld on the interweb thingymagig, and guess what.
The latest Goldwing is lighter, more compact and sportier than ever. When was a Goldwing ever sporty? They are what they are a massive great blummin big touring bike, and they're great if that's what you want/need/desire.
Now here's a question, wasn't the GL1000 the lighter, more compact, sportiest GW ever?
Upt'North.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...except the fuel capacity was reduced. Somehow the engineers think 200 miles or less is an acceptable range on a touring motorcycle. They just don't get it. There are places in the west where you are on thin ice with that limited a range.
Hi John:

I don't think that a 200 mile (330 km) range presents a problem. I spent the last years of my working career ferrying small turboprop aircraft (19 to 39 seats) across polar regions of Canada, Alaska, and Siberia and across vast expanses of the Pacific ocean. In normal day-to-day operations of an aircraft or motorcycle, we take fuel capacity for granted, and always like to have 'lots' of reserve fuel. When fuel planning becomes tight, all we have to do is sharpen our pencils and think a bit more carefully before we depart. By this I mean knowing where the next fuel stop is, knowing what our fuel consumption rate is, and managing power settings (speed, in the case of a motorcycle) to ensure that we actually achieve the range we calculate.

The first few times one does this (for example, setting off on a 1,200 mile flight trans-oceanic flight with only 1,300 miles of fuel) it can be a little stressful because of self-doubt. But if you have done your homework correctly, and operate the machine so you get the results you know are possible, confidence will increase.

I think that there are very few places in North America where there is a gap of more than 200 miles between fuel stations. I'm sure that someone will be able to come up with one or two outlier examples (a road in Nevada comes to mind), but for those rare occasions, all one has to do is buy a one-gallon plastic fuel can for $10, fill it up before departure, use it enroute, and discard it after reaching the next gas station. To me, that's a better solution than building in additional fuel capacity that increases weight and size of the moto but is only needed 0.1% of the time during the life of the bike.

Michael

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
What makes you think the electronics on the 2018 version would do any worse in the rain than its predecessors, which have been available with loads of electronics for over 30 years? (I'm talking about actual rain, not when somebody takes a hose or a pressure washer to the dash like it's the outside of a car.)

--Mark

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
To each his own if fuel planning is what one would want to do when indulging a pleasure pursuit. I ride for enjoyment and have no interest in needing to do homework to avoid running out of fuel to enable that enjoyment. The ST (two previous 1100's and now a 1300) allow me to ride and never be concerned about fuel and is actually one of the main reasons I first bought an ST. To that end I don't consider reducing the fuel range of any motorcycle classified as a premium touring bike to be acceptable. The fuel capacity can be reduced if that is an absolute must but not the range. Honda claims to have achieved this- time will tell.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
It'll be interesting to compare the different driving modes to see if they really impact mileage. "Sport" vs "Econ". Of course with steady highway miles both modes should have shifted into top gear.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I read that "sport" mode holds the rpm until higher before shifting and "econ' mode shifts at lower rpm. So I would think that will impact mpg. Gear ratios won't change, just when the gear changes happen, so at steady highway speed all modes will end up in top gear.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Changing shift points has always been the go-to for 'performance' modes in A/Ts. It's relatively cheap and easy. There are other tweaks that some manufactures may do but this is also effective.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Found it. In some photos of the new Wing I've noticed there is a flap that is raised on top of the dash behind the shield. It was a puzzle to me what the purpose of this was. Found it in the owners manual (link is in the post found HERE) on page 135. It is a ventilation louver. Since the screen is an electrically adjustable one it is problematic to put a vent in the shield itself. Also there is a gap for airflow along the back side of the screen between the screen and front garnish plastic (same as on the ST) to assist pushing the airflow above the top of the screen. This louver is for diverting some of that airflow more directly back to the rider. I'm sure this also slightly affects how high the airflow is pushed above the top of the screen but when the louver is raised more airflow on the rider is desired anyway. Just another more obscure feature not seen on many bikes. I'm not saying no other bikes have something similar but just not that I've noted before. Nice touch, especially with the tall screen.

Bike
'08 ST1300
What makes you think the electronics on the 2018 version would do any worse in the rain

--Mark
You are correct; electronics on vehicles have been around for years; what gives me pause is the "wonder wheels" and "infotainment screens" on bikes; cars may have them but they are better protected against the weather than motorbikes;

If modern vehicles are becoming "computers on wheels", than I instantly have visions of

scenario 1: you get your cell phone wet; you then have to stick it in a bowl of dried rice ? right?
scenario 2: someone in a coffee house spills a drink on a laptop; the laptop is ruined? no?
(although I guess some motorbike specific GPS map devices are water proof)

In a recent ad for mercedes benz, they claim that one car may have 91 computers talking to one another...

We are looking at this new beautiful bike, spotless in the pictures, videos and on the showroom floor; how will this bike with push-button-everything; perform on the highway, in a torrential rainstorm, while surrounded by 18 wheelers kicking up water, dirt and grime ...

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I used to own a GL1500 Gold Wing. Many buttons and switches on that model too, though not as many as on the GL1800 (old and new). Never had a problem with electronics on that bike and I do ride in the rain and have for many years... sometimes torrential frog strangler storms with wind and 18 wheelers and all. Sometimes even when the cages are pulling over due to how severe the storm was I just kept going since there was now less traffic in my way. :grin:
Lots of buttons and switches on my current ride too, including LCD screen, and in the same conditions no problems for 3+ years running. I have no worries about that. This stuff is purpose built for exposure to weather unlike a cell phone or car version GPS. Makes a huge difference.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
... what gives me pause is the "wonder wheels" and "infotainment screens" on bikes; cars may have them but they are better protected against the weather than motorbikes
The other thing that should give you pause is the phrase "designed for the application." Motorcycles are outdoor appliances. That's kind of requirement #3 in building them, right after "must have two wheels" and "must have an engine."

scenario 1: you get your cell phone wet; you then have to stick it in a bowl of dried rice ? right?
When I get my nothing-very-special Galaxy S5 wet, I go find a towel, dry it off and stuff it back in my pocket. That phone does time on my bike as a GPS, too. Works fine when wet. (Again, "designed for the application.")

In a recent ad for mercedes benz, they claim that one car may have 91 computers talking to one another...
That figure sounds about right. What you have to remember is that it's not 1974 anymore. The heavy wire harness that directly connected every switch on the dash to whatever it controls is gone, replaced by a two-wire controller-area network (CAN) that runs around the car and connects all of the parts that need to communicate. Every point that needs to use the bus is going to have a microcontroller, which is technically a computer, that connects to the bus on one side and whatever part of the car it controls on the other. (The cost for those in quantity is about $3.) The whole thing is lighter, consumes less power and lets the buyer benefit from engineering improvements after purchase.

We are looking at this new beautiful bike, spotless in the pictures, videos and on the showroom floor; how will this bike with push-button-everything; perform on the highway, in a torrential rainstorm, while surrounded by 18 wheelers kicking up water, dirt and grime ...
How does your ST, with all of those switches out on the handlebars, a computer behind the dash (and two under the seat) and an LCD panel out front do under those conditions?

--Mark

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
I love the fuel mileage on my 2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure. I've got just about 9 gallons usable and fuel range of about 350 miles. I have best rest Peg Packers with 2 gallons of gas on each passenger foot peg. If you ride much in the high Desert in Oregon it sure comes in handy. Unless they've changed the law all fuel sales are Full Service because of the high unemployment rate and most places with low traffic volumes close after dark. About 10 years ago we spent a night in sleeping bags in a gas station driveway waiting for them to open. That won't Ever Happen Again.

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
Hi John:

I don't think that a 200 mile (330 km) range presents a problem. I spent the last years of my working career ferrying small turboprop aircraft (19 to 39 seats) across polar regions of Canada, Alaska, and Siberia and across vast expanses of the Pacific ocean. In normal day-to-day operations of an aircraft or motorcycle, we take fuel capacity for granted, and always like to have 'lots' of reserve fuel. When fuel planning becomes tight, all we have to do is sharpen our pencils and think a bit more carefully before we depart. By this I mean knowing where the next fuel stop is, knowing what our fuel consumption rate is, and managing power settings (speed, in the case of a motorcycle) to ensure that we actually achieve the range we calculate.

The first few times one does this (for example, setting off on a 1,200 mile flight trans-oceanic flight with only 1,300 miles of fuel) it can be a little stressful because of self-doubt. But if you have done your homework correctly, and operate the machine so you get the results you know are possible, confidence will increase.

I think that there are very few places in North America where there is a gap of more than 200 miles between fuel stations. I'm sure that someone will be able to come up with one or two outlier examples (a road in Nevada comes to mind), but for those rare occasions, all one has to do is buy a one-gallon plastic fuel can for $10, fill it up before departure, use it enroute, and discard it after reaching the next gas station. To me, that's a better solution than building in additional fuel capacity that increases weight and size of the moto but is only needed 0.1% of the time during the life of the bike.

Michael

Michael,

I think you missed my point completely. Andrew gets it.

Touring = miles. Lots of miles. Limiting or reducing the range is counter productive. If the fuel capacity had stayed the same and we had been given a 20% increase in mileage, that would have been acceptable. The Gold Wing, in my opinion, is about 50-75 miles short on range. But maybe I think that because I spent 7 years riding a ST-1300. :)

JohnConner
: bgw1:

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
So who else is planning to got to the IMS show to eyeball the Gold Wing? I just pre-ordered a pair of tickets to Long beach for my wife and myself.

I'm not willing to put money down on a bike I've never even seen before - so I hope to remedy the situation.

Top Bottom