2018 Goldwings

STOC #
I just read a few first ride reports online and they all say the same things. Sportier but less comfort for the passenger and less luggage capacity. So it may be a toss up who will want to get it.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Less passenger comfort?

On the existing wing, I always felt like the rider was crammed to close to the bars, to provide more saddle length for the passenger.

Looks to me that the 2018 may have simply reversed the situation and shortened the passenger accommodations by an inch or so (and tilted the backrest slightly more upright), but improved the aerodynamics (less passenger buffeting). It looks similar to the ST1300 with a top box, but with more back padding & armrest.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If I had the wherewithal to own a 2018 GWT the first thing I'd want to do is remove the top box for casual riding. Then trim that throne attached to it down to something more conventional looking.

Ok truth be told the first thing I'd do is add the LED brake light to the topbox. Then all that other stuff. Or keep the box on and replace the throne backrest with a pad.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
If I had the wherewithal to own a 2018 GWT the first thing I'd want to do is remove the top box for casual riding. Then trim that throne attached to it down to something more conventional looking.

Ok truth be told the first thing I'd do is add the LED brake light to the topbox. Then all that other stuff. Or keep the box on and replace the throne backrest with a pad.
The LED Brakelight ($119.95) requires the Chrome Trunk Rack ($349.95) and the Trunk Sub-Harness ($29.95 - needed for trunk light anyway). $499.85 MSRP. Ouch!

To remove the Trunk requires the Trunk Removal Color Kit ($399.95) and the Trunk Removal Kit ($149.95). The hardware looks complicated - I doubt if the swap can be done rapidly. Perhaps a couple hours? It's not something you do on a whim like a Givi or ST1300 Honda Top Box.

I'm kind of wondering if there will be an aftermarket lockable trunk ala the Givi for the Bagger. Quickly removable? Perhaps more storage without the sloping lid?

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
MBL used to make a trunk delete kit for the current 1800. They are trying to sell the tooling to someone else to continue production. I haven't been able to find any other trunk delete kit for the current 1800. A trunk delete kit would make the current Wing a lot easier to handle.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yeah I saw that. The 'Wings are almost based on the printer/printer cartridge razor/blade sales model! Honda has always been pretty proud of their accessories.

I wondered about the aftermarket top box er— market. It would only make sense for the GW and not the GWT. I guess a GWT owner could sell his Throne to a GW owner and then get the two trunk removal kits and buy a Givi or Shad. But again— ouch.

Now a product opportunity might be a nice looking spoiler/LED brake light that didn't cost $$$[SUP]3[/SUP].

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Now a product opportunity might be a nice looking spoiler/LED brake light that didn't cost $$$[SUP]3[/SUP].
...Right up to the point where you figure out just how proud the R&E and manufacturing will make you of your product.

--Mark

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
...Right up to the point where you figure out just how proud the R&E and manufacturing will make you of your product.
That is a challenge any third-party manufacturer faces right? And some find a way.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
It isn't the $120 for the LED Brakelight that bugs me. It's the $350 for the Chrome Trunk Rack!

A piece of chromed and formed sheet metal, some rubber pieces, and maybe 4 flange bolts and washers???? I bet I could get one machined out of billet aluminum for less...

For comparison, the GL1800 Kuryakyn is $225 at Wingstuff, and the Chromed tube Add On version is only $90. It would pay to wait for the aftermarket to get cranked up before grabbing too many accessories.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Honda says under 4 hours... what is it about 4 seconds for the ST?

I give mine about 6 seconds. The extra two seconds are to give it an extra tug to make sure I have it mounted correctly! :crackup

Another area where the ST1300 is superior to the Gold Wing!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
At least they ARE making SOME progress. All previous Gold Wings that came with a top case would take a lot longer to remove said top case and didn't come with an option to cover where the top case attached. You had to buy the F6B to go without it, and also own a regular Gold Wing to have it. Maybe some future version will have a quick release. Or as I posted in the other thread about the new GW... Just get the Gold Wing GL1800BD and get a Shad sh58x or sh59x that does have quick release and a less pricey LED light bar that mounts just under the bracket that stays on the bike. I'm sure they (Shad) will come out with the mount kit for the new Wings within the next year.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It prob takes 4 hrs due to the cabling that is there and used to open the saddlebags but just guessing.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
It prob takes 4 hrs due to the cabling that is there and used to open the saddlebags but just guessing.
There's also a support bracket to be able to mount the Bagger's optional tail rack, although that probably doesn't take as long.

Bike
GL1800-2012
The new 2018 GW Tour has everything I am looking for in a bike.
I have the Pearl white as my favorite.
I can see one in my near future.
Will have to adjust to the lower range of the tank though as compared to my ST.
I pulled the trigger on a 2018 GW Tour in Pearl White-looking forward to the new bike and a nice shake down tour with it. Finally Mother Honda has got up to speed in the market with this release. Ride Safe all.

Bike
GL1800-2012
Quite well as I have a 2012 GL1800 with a lot of buttons and I have rode through dust storms-toad drowning rain-snow-high-humidity and then some. Never an issue with the buttons.

I'm very confident mother Honda has this in hand especially after over forty years in the GW model line up, I think she has learned something over the years. Why even DCT for Honda is over 40 years in the making.

Last edited:
Bike
GL1800-2012
At least they ARE making SOME progress. All previous Gold Wings that came with a top case would take a lot longer to remove said top case and didn't come with an option to cover where the top case attached. You had to buy the F6B to go without it, and also own a regular Gold Wing to have it. Maybe some future version will have a quick release. Or as I posted in the other thread about the new GW... Just get the Gold Wing GL1800BD and get a Shad sh58x or sh59x that does have quick release and a less pricey LED light bar that mounts just under the bracket that stays on the bike. I'm sure they (Shad) will come out with the mount kit for the new Wings within the next year.
The after market will have a grand time fitting this new GW with goodies!

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
So after looking at the photos and videos I have to agree with the many folks who've said that it looks like an updated version of an ST 1300. Which is a good thing. Clever move by Honda that the Touring gets all the extra electronic gee-gaws, higher wind screen, extra features, etc. but you can order one without the rear trunk in order to get the look of the basic bike, which I prefer.

I haven't looked at weights yet, but how close does the GW come to the ST 1300?

Having the reverse gear and walking gear would definitely assist moving it about in the garage. But.... it's also a big chunk of cheese to shell out for 2 wheels.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yuma ST said:
but you can order one without the rear trunk in order to get the look of the basic bike
I bet the only way to do that is to order the Gold Wing and not the Gold Wing Tour. Doing that you lose out on a lot of features including a center stand (which may be an accessory for the Gold Wing.

If you really don't want or need the factory trunk one tactic might be to get a GWT and the body panel kit and remove the truck with a plan to sell it to someone who's trunk gets damaged or someone with a GW that decides they want an OEM trunk.

A long range plan that might not bear fruit but I think that's the only option to getting what you want.

Top Bottom