2018 Goldwings

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
2018 Gold Wing Tour 833 curb weight
2017 Gold Wing 904-933 curb weight (depending on packages)

Though heavier than the ST I wonder how it feels based on the CG of each bike.

While I'd like that extra gallon of gas I'd trade it for less curb weight and all the other areas where it's superior to the ST and older Wing.

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
Thanks for the info on the weight TJ. So utilizing scientific comparative analysis and using the heavier DCT model as the base line it looks like the difference in weight between the ST and GW comes down to having a skinny girl riding pillion on the ST. Hmmmm.

If nothing else Honda has got a lot of folks who would never have considered a GW previously to put on their thinking caps.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dangerous thing here. The more I think on it the more I'm liking the GL1800BD (Gold Wing DCT). I really should NOT be thinking of spending the coin for one of these. If I did get one of these it would have the reverse that is managed by the transmission rather than the electric motor (like the old GW) or none at all like the GL1800B (Gold Wing manual). As far as a center stand, which would add maybe 8-10 lbs (?)... I've gone without on my current bike for almost 4 years now and haven't missed it at all. Of course I haven't replaced my own tires nor attempted other maintenance that would require a center stand, but I do have a front wheel chock that will enable doing most of that kind of maintenance except replacing the front wheel. A front chock and jack at the center stand mount and some ratchet straps to stabilize and I could replace the rear tire or do any other maintenance. Oil changes are much easier on the side stand with my current ride IMO, and I've found in the owners manual for the new Gold Wings where the plugs and filter are so wouldn't expect any issues doing that the same as I do now.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
If I did get one of these it would have the reverse that is managed by the transmission rather than the electric motor
May I ask why? I've never had reverse on a bike so I was assuming that the electric version worked just fine, but since they have 2 versions, there must be a reason to choose one over the other.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
May I ask why? I've never had reverse on a bike so I was assuming that the electric version worked just fine, but since they have 2 versions, there must be a reason to choose one over the other.
Actually it does work fine. Electric reverse uses the starter/generator motor. Just one more way to put stress and wear on that part. The old GL1500 and GL1800 models used the starter motor. I had a GL1500 11+years ago and pulled a camper trailer with it. Reverse came in VERY handy with that sometimes but I couldn't help but to think how that was wearing on the starter motor to push all that weight on the level or even uphill as was usually the case. Almost all GW owners with these models tend to use reverse to back uphill on occasion. I have not read of any issues with the starter motor but still... I do personally know of a few cases where the linkage for the electric reverse would jamb and refuse to come out of reverse, a GL1500 that I was able to fix and a GL1800 that I was not able to fix, or refuse to go into reverse, a GL1500 that I was not able to fix. The linkage is vastly different when reverse is in the transmission. I expect the transmission reverse to be far more reliable and better up to the task.

Only the DCT version of the new Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour have a true reverse gear in the transmission. Only the Gold Wing Tour manual model has the electric reverse. The Gold Wing manual has no reverse. Plus only the DCT versions have the walking mode in forward and reverse. My preference would be for the Gold Wing DCT for those reasons, and that I really don't need a top case for any time I ride locally, and I like the look of a cleaner tail without the top case, and I like the brown color of the Gold Wing DCT, and I really cannot justify any more extra coin for the Gold Wing Tour models (hard to justify the price of any of the models but trying :) )

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
rjs987 said:
hard to justify the price of any of the models but trying
You only live once. Being able to afford it but wanting to justify getting it isn't such a bad place to be.

But for most in that place the final tipping point should be actually riding one. A couple riders here have flipped over all the cards and put skin in the game. A 'Wing is a little big for me so I'd have to at least see one before going big.

And no thanks to dduelin's posts on the DCT I'm now really wanting one. Maybe seeing it up close and personal will temper the situation. Otherwise I might do something silly like sell my car and get a Honda Fit or some such so I can squeeze a GoldWing Tour DCT Pearl White in next to it. But for now I'm just looking.

STOC #
Hi,
I was looking at other new "baggers" out and the BMW k1600B is a bit lighter. Lots of bells and whistles, more power and a larger fuel tank. A no cost option is the expensive service charge..
m

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Well, I used to squeeze an FJ1200 and my ST1300 into my garage next to my truck. I wonder if I could do the same with a GoldWing?

I'm still irritated about the storage situation on the Wing. I've spent 27 years using a tankbag, just to have stuff handy in front of me so I don't have to dismount. Even with my ST1300 with the tail trunk and empty saddlebags. Now on the Wing there doesn't look to be a good place for a tankbag, and all you get is a little storage compartment. And saddlebags that are smaller than the ST1300 when you travel.

I guess what I would really like is a new ST with updated avionics, without having to go Wing.

And I'm sorry, but I can't see going to a BMW. Although I suppose I could look at a K1600 GT with top box, or maybe a GTL. Or a GS, Or...

So many bikes, so small a garage (and pocketbook)!. :crackup

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
I have been reading on the GL1800Riders website that several dealers are taking orders now and that they are offering some decent discounts from the list price.

JohnConner
: bgw1:
:usflag1:

Top Bottom