Timing Belt Questions

Bike
ST1100
Morning from the UK

I know this has been through thr threads a few times, but I have to say I am still a little confused on this matter, so sorry for being a little slow, but I'd rather be slow and get it right then speedy and get it totally wrong and lose my bike forever.

I have the ST1100Y model (2001) with 106,000 miles on the clock and its still going strong but I have found nothing in the record book regarding the Timing Belt, so I am have taken the time to take it off the road for the last few weeks and do some work on it.
I have stripped the back end and the Alternator is fine, the Swingarm was replaced 2 years ago and is still looking new, the Front and Rear Brakes have recently been replaced along with the Front and Rear Tyre.

So on to the Timing Belt..... What and where do I get this from...
I have looked through the threads and will be taking on the advice (especially the links to You Tube).
I have been on Amazon and found the T325 for £17.04 will this work? or do I need to I need to start looking on eBay for the proper part number (14401-MT3-004) which will probably cost about £60 to £100?
I am open to suggestions.

Once I have this sorted I have been told that changing the Water Pump is advisable, would this be a good suggestion? If so where would I get one of these?

I plan on replacing the Radiator Cap and possibly the Thermostat. I will be checking the pipes along the way.

Is there anything I would need to do, before putting the bike back on the road?

I appreciate any advice on this matter, thanks in advance.

Andy

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
People have had good results using "Gates timing belt" instead of the OEM it is about half the cost. I did not replace the water pump on my 1990 as it was still in good shape, I did replace the one on my 1997 but really didn't have to as it was also in good shape. ( i did it because i thought i had an overheating issue, turned out to be a bad ground to my temp meter.) Replacing the coolant hoses would be a good idea, and flushing the cooling system also a plus. replacing the thermostat and cap i would do only if warranted. replacing the overflow tube for the cooling overflow tank is a good idea, check at the radiator cap as it tend to crack there and get blocked with crud.
check the electrical connections at the main relay, that is sometimes a problem area.

Bike
VStrom 650
Andy, good morning yourself.
Agree with Kiltman, I wouldn't change the water pump but flush it out and refill with recommended coolant (Honda?).
Re the belt it's up to you, genuine and sleep well, non genuine and?
If the radiator cap and thermostat have been working fine I would leave well alone.
Upt'North.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
the Gates belt is identical to the Honda belt and has been used by many forum members. If it was deficient in any way we'd probably have heard about it by now.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Ding, David Silver will sell you a pattern part forsome model of Triumph, cheaper than the Honda part... Shaving the bit shown in the picture will help get it back together...

Attachments

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Ding, David Silver will sell you a pattern part forsome model of Triumph, cheaper than the Honda part... Shaving the bit shown in the picture will help get it back together...
Was this meant for another thread Roger? Seems irrelevant to the current conversation.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I bought the Gates belt, it is identical to the OEM part.

+1 from me on replacing the coolant hoses, plus elbows and o-rings if you are pulling the bike down for maintenance. Also check that the radiator fan is tight on its shaft (mine wasn't).

If you do replace the belt, pay close attention to the service manual instructions for the refit sequence, I got my left and right confused, and it makes the belt harder to fit. Make sure you check, recheck and double check the crank/cam alignment when you are done.

Top Bottom