Do you use a TPMS as a tire gauge?

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Raymond - Thanks for taking the time to check. Having my rear go flat last fall on my way to ARKANSTOC, I want a heads up display like the TireGard unit does that I currently have. It save my bacon twice that day. The first time when the tire got cut, and the second time when the gummy worms(note WORMS) failed.

According to a review that Mondo is reading the FOBO app will send the audio alerts via BT to a BT headset, just like you said. SO if you get an audio alert, that may be quicker as you are not always looking at the TPMS unit or phone.

I like that these, FOBO, are always on. One can check the pressure via your smart phone without having to "wake" them up.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Maybe I am missing a setting.
Or maybe I am.. I'm not sure if my phone is ever really in sleep mode. I usually have Pandora streaming over the air or a maps app for directions.
Now if you shut off bluetooth for whatever reason (outlawed in your office or on an airplane) then the app will be complaining and sounding alarm... but again, your phone isn't asleep, yet.

So another reason to like the Orange unit. Always on, always there at the bike and no sensor needed to be removed when adding air.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
One of the things with Andy's BMW the onboard computer will adjust the pressure to temperature of 17 C so on a day that the temperature is not 17 C or after riding any distance the bike's readout and a gauge will never agree.

Gerhard

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I like that these, FOBO, are always on. One can check the pressure via your smart phone without having to "wake" them up.
I don't know about this. I tend to turn off all apps that I am not currently using - after a ride I hit the home button on my iphone and close the FOBO app. I've gotten low tire pressure warnings the next time I go out for a ride. And it has been my understanding that the tire sensors do shut down after some time of no rotation. They do, however, wake up when I push the bike out of my garage and into the driveway to warm up (maybe an average of 10'). Oh, and I ALWAYS wake up my iphone FOBO app when I get on the bike and put the phone in the RAM X-grip.

This might be worth an email to FOBO with the questions - do the sensors shut down completely and will the app's alarm wake up if the app is turned off?

Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
On the subject of tpms systems .I use the Hawkshead unit as a pressure gauge as I know it was fairly accurate. As long as I have good sensor batteries.
Here comes the issue.
I'm now in California, on the coast, and I did not being my sensor removal tool. Any chance anyone between NoCal and Tijuana happens to have the hawkshead system and would let me use the sensor battery removal tool in the next day or two ??
Just thought I'd ask as I saw the thread.
Andy

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I have the latest Hawkshead waterproof remodel. I've been able to unscrew the sensor by hand to replace the battery.

Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
I have the latest Hawkshead waterproof remodel. I’ve been able to unscrew the sensor by hand to replace the battery.
I've tried to separate the two halves without the two plastic tools but no chance on either of the two sensors.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
And it has been my understanding that the tire sensors do shut down after some time of no rotation.
That's contrary to my experience. If I have the Bluetooth on my phone activated, I get messages from the TPMS even when the bike has sat unmoved for days, and I am in the house. To combat that, I regularly shut down the Bluetooth when I'm not expecting to need it. On the Android version of the FOBO app, there's no way to stop the service except forcibly through the App manager. But shutting off Bluetooth accomplishes the same objective, and also saves a tiny amount of phone battery.

Like you, I always ensure that the FOBO app is running and Bluetooth is on before starting a ride. My pre-ride checklist:

Before mounting up:
* Engine....... RUNNING
* WiFi ......... OFF
* Bluetooth... ON
* FOBO.........RUNNING.
* FOBO.........Overlay display.... ON
* Tire pressures..... CHECKED (on FOBO display) and adjusted if need be. Use gauge during inflation; confirm with FOBO after sensor reinstallation

Once aboard:
* Bubbler GPS .... RUNNING and REPORTING (if on trip; not for day rides, usually)
* Google Maps.... ON
* Destination...... SET
* Navigation....... STARTED
* Phone............. CRADLED and SECURED
* Phone............. CHARGING from USB connection
* Camera system ... RECORDING
* Clutch ............ IN
* Kickstand ....... UP
* Gear............... FIRST
* Clutch............. ENGAGED
* Throttle .......... TWISTED
* WooHoo.......... YES

Looks like I need to add a step somewhere for
* Helmet com .. ON

but not for
* Playlist ......... SELECTED
* Music ........... PLAYING

Last edited:

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Since I do use my FOBO app display as a tire gauge, I have installed two-stem valve stems (called T-valves, but really are L-shaped) to eliminate the need to remove the FOBO sensors. There is a slight time-lag between the time that air is added/removed from the tire and when the FOBO displays the new pressure reading.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Since I do use my FOBO app display as a tire gauge, I have installed two-stem valve stems (called T-valves, but really are L-shaped) to eliminate the need to remove the FOBO sensors. There is a slight time-lag between the time that air is added/removed from the tire and when the FOBO displays the new pressure reading.
Had I not already gotten and installed a set of right-angle valve stems before getting the FOBOs, the T stems would be very appealing. If I ever need to replace the right-angle stems the T-stems will be the go-to choice.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I don't know about this.
According to post #14 + 28 - they(the Sensors) do stay on. You say you have gotten a low tire pressure warning - were the tires low? If they were not low, then one would tend to think the sensors do turn off. Hmmmmm.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I've been saying for years, "when all else fails, read the instructions" . I was wrong. They transmit round the clock. Go to the FOBO website and read the manual.
They don't transmit when unmounted. So if not using the tires for awhile (tires, not bike, since you can also put these on a trailer) unscrew them enough to release the valve stem.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ibike2havefun said:
If I have the Bluetooth on my phone activated, I get messages from the TPMS even when the bike has sat unmoved for days, and I am in the house. To combat that, I regularly shut down the Bluetooth when I'm not expecting to need it.
I use Bluetooth regularly so shutting it down isn't an option. When I know I'm not going to be riding for awhile I turn off Location Services for the FOBO app (iOS) and quit the app. Otherwise it wants to talks to the phone every time I'm near the bike which taxes the FOBO sensor batteries and the phone battery.

When I'm going to ride then Location Services is turn on and the app is opened and allowed to refresh in the background.

Top Bottom