Requesting someone to measure the ohms in their heated soles.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have a Gerbing heated pants liner with the barrel connector in each pant leg, capable of connecting to heated soles.
I have coated nichrome wire that I want to make my own heated soles. Knowing the ohms value in a heated sole will be helpful.
I know some of the websites state that their products produces 9W of heat at 12.8 volts thus 18ohms is my target of wire.
So, if you have a voltmeter and know how to set it and measure ohms, I'd like to know what that value is, thank you.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I get 10 ohms for one heated sock. The element encompasses the whole foot bed and top of the foot to the start of the ankle.
That's at room temp with a multimeter. 9 watts sounds reasonable for just the foot bed.

Some people report success with insulated stainless steel stranded wire from the jewelry section of the craft store if the nichrome doesn't work for your target power/area.
DIY heated vest sites list the gauge and resistance measured.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
You can also try carbon fibre ribbon, just sew the leads to it. I made a pair of heated gloves, and they work amazingly well

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I get 10 ohms for one heated sock. The element encompasses the whole foot bed and top of the foot to the start of the ankle.
That's at room temp with a multimeter. 9 watts sounds reasonable for just the foot bed.

Some people report success with insulated stainless steel stranded wire from the jewelry section of the craft store if the nichrome doesn't work for your target power/area.
Thanks for the effort on that. Why I had a specific interest in the ohms, is my circuit for heated soles will be connected to the pants. Not matching the resistance properly could make for an under or over performing heat source.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
You can also try carbon fibre ribbon, just sew the leads to it. I made a pair of heated gloves, and they work amazingly well
I have read about this material many times. Where do you buy your material?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
4.5 ohms for the pants, 20.5 ohms for a single sock. Warm-N-Safe gear.

But don't think matching these numbers will give you balanced heat. My socks get turned up more then the pants. It'll depend on your boots, your protective pants, your extra sock layer. Etc...

You can do the math to convert ohms to watts and back again. But as stated above, matching watts won't give matching warmth. You need to wire these to separate controllers. Just like jacket and gloves.

PS The socks I have only warm the toes, not the footbed. It works.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have about 200' of 28ga. silver wire teflon coated. It's what I used for my heated jacket liner. I think it's about .055 ohms per foot. Good for jackets/pants/socks. But you would need lots of loops for gloves.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I know some of the websites state that their products produces 9W of heat at 12.8 volts thus 18ohms is my target of wire.
So, if you have a voltmeter and know how to set it and measure ohms, I'd like to know what that value is, thank you.
Good thing you are asking. I would not be sure if they were quoting full power for one sole or power consumption for the pair.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
4.5 ohms for the pants, 20.5 ohms for a single sock. Warm-N-Safe gear.

But don't think matching these numbers will give you balanced heat. My socks get turned up more then the pants. It'll depend on your boots, your protective pants, your extra sock layer. Etc...

You can do the math to convert ohms to watts and back again. But as stated above, matching watts won't give matching warmth. You need to wire these to separate controllers. Just like jacket and gloves.

PS The socks I have only warm the toes, not the footbed. It works.
My Gerbing pants liner and socks/soles will be on the same troller. Well, that's the way they intended it. I could change that. I have some inexpensive PWM's from eBay if needed, testing today.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, this is Beadalon. I have 26GA at home along with the 30GA nichrome wire. There a few heated elements made with Beadalon / jewelry wire. What I would like to have is a thicker gauge of the stuff, because 7ohms per foot at 26GA is kind of high to get any length out of it for the run of heat. Only alternative, take 3 or 4 6 foot lengths and run them parallel. 18GA would be better, but it is designed for bracelet and necklace after all, and we can't always have what we want. Working with the nichrome first.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
My Gerbing insoles measure 20.5 Omhs each.
Thanks for that. The promising thing about this math is at 7 ohms per foot with 26GA Beadalon, that gives me 3ft to spread through the sole for my circuit.

Top Bottom