Razor trailer

STOC #
I talked to him about a month ago. He advised they were coming out with a new model like the Baxley that doesn't have to be un hitched for loading. It hasn't hit the website yet.
I have to say... that was one of the things I liked about the trailer I bought... it splits into three, instead of two, at the front, leaving the tongue piece free to be hitched or not.
With some lay-flat trailers you cannot be hitched and with others you must be hitched... mine doesn't matter.
I like that.

(I just wish I knew where it came from - or who made it).

Just sayin'

Jim

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Maybe it's me but pretty useless web site. Show what the trailer does. What am I getting for the extra $1500. Did I miss it?

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
They are still is business. I just got off he phone with Sonny, 812-929-1894
Hmm I wonder why they never bothered to return my email? I will give them a call. I just looked at their website again, and if you click on dealers you get an error code. It won't allow you to click on show schedule.

I talked to him about a month ago. He advised they were coming out with a new model like the Baxley that doesn't have to be un hitched for loading. It hasn't hit the website yet.
One that doesn't have to be unhooked would be preferable.

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
My buddy has a DropTail. Very well designed & good workmanship.

This trailer is VERY easy to use & tows on track at high speeds.

We have used it many times w/ dirt our bikes all over Colorado. We took it to Ashville , NC to pick up my near new 05 ST1300 6 years ago. A very high speed trip both ways & it performed flawlessly.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Here is the Rampfree that I bought back in February.

http://www.rampfree-indiana.com/home.html

They were in business back then. And a great well built trailer. The Condor wheel chock, and 15" radial tires. around $2500 new I think. I was lucky enough to find one on Craigslist. There is a Utube video on it as well.
for about $1500. I think it would be difficult to find a better built trailer.
JimSTer how much trouble is the hitch and unhitching to load or unload from the tow vehicle. Does it always come down straight on the ball or do you have to wiggle it around to get it back on the ball once the bike is loaded? Any problems with that?

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
JimSTer how much trouble is the hitch and unhitching to load or unload from the tow vehicle. Does it always come down straight on the ball or do you have to wiggle it around to get it back on the ball once the bike is loaded? Any problems with that?
I've never had a problem with getting it back on the hitch. if you leave the towing vehicle where it was when you disconnected the hitch to load the bike, it will go right back on if the ground is flat and neither the trailer or towing vehicle have been moved.
Rampfree also makes a trailer that you can load and unload without un-hitching. Don't remember what the price different was.
Have went to the website for Rampfree yet?

I just remembered that Rampfree changed their name to ZRO, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVIgx2_f1i0

Try this link as it's a great video of loading a motorcycle on their ZPRO 1150

Last edited:
OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Well 10 days ago I texted Zpro through their contact us feature on their website asking how much their Z1200 trailer was and if I would be able to come for a demonstration at the factory before buying.

Still waiting to hear from them.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have had two different motorcycle trailers, both used and both 2008. The Kendon was a dual rail and the Drop Tail is a three rail. I replaced the Kendon for the DropTail. Both trailers are good, but I am finding the DropTail to be a far superior trailer to the Kendon.

So pluses and minuses.
1. The Kendon is 200 pounds lighter than the DropTail.
2. Easier to stand up. One person on the Kendon and two for the DropTail. Although two on both is a good Idea.
3. Kendon has a skinny ramp. I had to walk alongside my ST will running and clutch it up. A little nerve racking. The DropTail has a wide ramp and I can drive up with confidence.
4. Wheel chocks on Kendon locked better to keep the bike from rolling but they were non adjustable for wheel size and never held the bikes upright. The DropTail has locking wheel chocks that are adjustable for wheel size and hold the bike upright while strapping down.
5. The DropTail has many more places to use for tiedowns. More versatile for many different types of bikes.
6. The Kendon had poor tire wear. about 6000 miles and the tires were shot. Also the trailer was very noisy while pulling loaded or unloaded. The Droptail is a much smoother trailer and has larger axle spindles although the same size tires.
7. Once standing up both trailers have different advantages. The Kendon has four casters which makes it really maneuverable. But the floor surface must be fairly smooth. The DropTail has two larger casters and uses the wheels instead of another set of casters. It rolls much easier but needs to be kind of walked back and forth since the wheels do not pivot like casters. I found that not to be a big issue.
8. The newer Kendons do come with a wider loading ramp. But like the one on mine you must find a place to put it. The mounting is underneath the trailer. The DropTail has a wide hydraulic ramp that lowers and raises so there is no secondary storage required.
9. Both trailers store the spare tire underneath the trail. Stupid on both parts. I think that if there was a flat there would be no room to get a jack under the axle. But maybe a small rolling floor jack that I know we all carry with us. :(
10. The DropTail is slight wider at the axles which allows for a wider bed. The advantage is that when I load two bikes with bags I need not remove the bags for hauling. The Kendon I had to take the bags off the ST or my wife's VFR to haul. Just a bit too narrow.
11. For my purposes and since they were both the same money used. I would recommend the DropTail over the Kendon. And compared to other trailers like the ramp free styles, I am not sure if I want to connect and position the trailer for loading, Disconnect the trailer, Load the bike. Connect the Trailer. Strap the bike down and go.
12. I bought the Kendon without a rockshield and then found one used hoping to resolve damage to the bikes, paint chips and such from the pull vehicle tires and just stuff off the road. Two noticeable things happened, yes the protection for the bikes was better, but it now required for sure two people to standup the trailer and storage in my garage became an issue and secondly and more important tow vehicle MPG dropped by 2 MPG. The DropTail has kind of a flare at the front of the trailer which does a good job of protection for flying debris.

So there it is 12 points of comparison.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
The new Zpro 1200 I inquired about did not require disconnection from the tow vehicle, which is why I was inquiring about that model.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
he new Zpro 1200 I inquired about did not require disconnection from the tow vehicle,
That is good. So did you ever get a price for the Zpro 1200? And they are just a single rail correct? I didn't find much info on their website.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
no communication from them yet. Yes the Z1200 is for a single bike. Yep their website is lacking which is why I contacted them for more info, but apparently no one there is paying attention to the "contact us" messages

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Something to be said for Customer Service. My DropTail is almost 10 years old. I had issues with my hydraulic hand pump not working. Call them and the new exactly what part I needed and had it in 3 days. Repair completed in 15 minutes. When I contacted Kendon about the poor tire wear all they said is that the trailer was the wrong size for my bikes and the bikes needed to be moved further back, about a foot. No way to do that.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
update.. today I emailed Zpro asking why they hadn't answered my inquiry. Figured they would read it Tuesday, since this is Sunday and New Years Eve. To my surprise someone named Sonny emailed me right back, within minutes, apologizing saying he thought he had sent me the info, gave me the pricing I requested, ($2499 for trailer, $200 for 14" aluminum wheel/tire upgrade and $159 for spare wheel and tire) and said it would be fine to stop by the factory for a demo, which I intend to do once the deep freeze is over.

there is also a new video, showing the operation of the MCZ1200 trailer I was interested in which does not need to be disconnected from towing vehicle when loading and unloading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zikU9fp3q94

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That looks pretty slick!

A bit more pricey than my $800 (Trailer) + $75 (HF Wheel Chock) + $300 (triple Ramp). ;)

Bike
1993 ST 1100
I like the concept, but with limited place to park vehicles and trailers, my 6.5 X 12 drop gate Utility trailer wears many hats, motorcycle, ATV, gravel, mulch, furniture, and has hauled aged Manure and many loads of firewood. But If I traveled the amount of States as most of you guys, A specific motorcycle trailer would be in my stock pile of things that have parking spot in my yard.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like the concept, but with limited place to park vehicles and trailers, my 6.5 X 12 drop gate Utility trailer wears many hats, motorcycle, ATV, gravel, mulch, furniture, and has hauled aged Manure and many loads of firewood. But If I traveled the amount of States as most of you guys, A specific motorcycle trailer would be in my stock pile of things that have parking spot in my yard.
Got to have a large yard to have too many trailers...

I have two trailers (old one and new one) and I'm in need of selling the older one so I have the room for the new one! :eek:4:

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
That looks pretty slick!

A bit more pricey than my $800 (Trailer) + $75 (HF Wheel Chock) + $300 (triple Ramp). ;)
Yea I know it's a bit pricy, but it's priced between the cheapies with small wheels and the real expensive ones. However I've always felt things only cost what you buy them for minus what you turn around and sell them for, so I might be out $ 1500 in the end if I sell it for half what I paid for it in a say 5 years. So maybe $300 a year. At a soon to be 68 it gives me peace of mind knowing that I won't have to ride up and back down a ramp on a 700+ pound motorcycle, especially since I am a small weak fella to begin with, and my 65 yo wife would be scant little help in getting the bike righted again if it fell over while backing down. Got to be cheaper than an injured back. A man's got to know his limitations lol.

I don't need a utility trailer, just something to haul the bike on vacations with the wife. On solo vacas I will be riding.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Has anyone tried loading a motorcycle on a "dove tail" utility trailer with gate? It looked like it would be easier than a normal utility trailer.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yea I know it's a bit pricy, but it's priced between the cheapies with small wheels and the real expensive ones. However I've always felt things only cost what you buy them for minus what you turn around and sell them for, so I might be out $ 1500 in the end if I sell it for half what I paid for it in a say 5 years. So maybe $300 a year. At a soon to be 68 it gives me peace of mind knowing that I won't have to ride up and back down a ramp on a 700+ pound motorcycle, especially since I am a small weak fella to begin with, and my 65 yo wife would be scant little help in getting the bike righted again if it fell over while backing down. Got to be cheaper than an injured back. A man's got to know his limitations lol.

I don't need a utility trailer, just something to haul the bike on vacations with the wife. On solo vacas I will be riding.
Yeah, that's why I use this ramp: Trailer-Ramp.jpg

At first I was using a single ramp, but found that I didn't want to take a chance on dropping it, so I bought this folding 3 ramp and made it a bit wider! Works great! :D

Top Bottom