Technique for starting from a standing stop

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question but here goes:
We bought our '05 in early Sept. I'm coming off a Triumph Tiger 955i.

I'm trying to figure out if there's something up with the bike or my technique.
Starting out from a standing stop, engine fully warmed, if I keep the engine around 1500 rpm or so all is good, smooth pull away, no noise, nothing.
If I increase the rpm to about 2000 or so there is a real clatter, almost like I'm lugging it. Above 2200 rpm or so it's a bit quieter.

It seems illogical to me that I can pull away away at 1500 rpm without any noise, yet 2000 rpm sounds like a bucket of bolts being rattled.
I adjusted the counter balancer alignment and it made no difference.

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Technique or engine problem?

(cross-posted from Riding Techniques)

I'm trying to figure out if there's something up with my technique or the bike.
Starting out from a standing stop, engine fully warmed, if I keep the engine around 1500 rpm or so all is good, smooth pull away, no noise, nothing.
If I increase the rpm to about 2000 or so there is a real clatter, almost like I'm lugging it. Above 2200 rpm or so it's a bit quieter.

It seems illogical to me that I can pull away away at 1500 rpm without any noise, yet 2000 rpm sounds like a bucket of bolts being rattled.

Any suggestions?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Your right foot should be on the rear brake pedal and not dragging behind as you take off.
You'll find the bike likes to be near 3-4K when taking off.
Try raising the RPM to around this area, start letting the clutch out, the same time you release pressure from the foot pedal.
Get your feet on the pegs as soon as the bike starts moving for better balance and control.
If your trying to start moving at 1500 RPM, your not doing your engine any favors, and are lugging the engine.
Its a Vee Four, not a V-Twin :rofl1:

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Your right foot should be on the rear brake pedal and not dragging behind as you take off.
You'll find the bike likes to be near 3-4K when taking off.
Try raising the RPM to around this area, start letting the clutch out, the same time you release pressure from the foot pedal.
Get your feet on the pegs as soon as the bike starts moving for better balance and control.
If your trying to start moving at 1500 RPM, your not doing your engine any favors, and are lugging the engine.
Its a Vee Four, not a V-Twin :rofl1:
Seriously? 3-4K? That's unlike any other bike I've ridden. My teeny Yamaha 400 would basically pull away at a bit above tickover.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Re: Technique or engine problem?

(cross-posted from Riding Techniques)

I'm trying to figure out if there's something up with my technique or the bike.

Any suggestions?
That sounds strange to me. I don't believe that it is your technique.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks everyone,
I think my question wasn't clear:
I'm really trying to figure out why starting from 1500 rpm is a non-event while starting from 2000 rpm makes me wonder if it's going to hold together.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Your 400 wasn't pulling 750 (+ rider) lbs either! :spank1:
In all fairness, the XS400 weighed 400+ lbs and made a measly 27 hp. That's a power to weight ratio of about 1 hp to 14 lbs whereas the ST1300 is 1 hp to 5 lbs or three times better.
Torque is the real world measure of 'get up and go'. The XS400 had, wait for it...a pavement wrinkling 24 ft/lbs of torque or 16 ft/lbs per lb of weight vs. the ST which puts out 86 ft/lbs or 8 ft/lbs per lb of weight or basically double.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm really trying to figure out why starting from 1500 rpm is a non-event while starting from 2000 rpm makes me wonder if it's going to hold together.
given your previous experience with a loose plug cap/wire, ignition issues would be my first thought. They're often RPM related and illogical.

The basic explanation for it being RPM dependent is the cylinder pressure has a lot to do with the ignition voltage required to jump a spark. At certain RPMs and throttle settings the pressure is such that it sparks OK, and at others it doesn't.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
given your previous experience with a loose plug cap/wire, ignition issues would be my first thought. They're often RPM related and illogical.

The basic explanation for it being RPM dependent is the cylinder pressure has a lot to do with the ignition voltage required to jump a spark. At certain RPMs and throttle settings the pressure is such that it sparks OK, and at others it doesn't.
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking also. I'll check that #3 lead hasn't loosened up again and if I can find my Fluke meter test the plugs and leads over the weekend.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt

I usually just start letting the clutch out before giving it gas. It sounds like gas ping , maybe, are you using premium fuel?

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A

I don't ever use premium anymore. All 5 of my Honda's run on regular. Even if I am pulling my cargo trailer chock full with the wing. ST has never had premium so this shouldn't be the reason unless your timing has been advanced to much.
I do throw in sea foam for winter storage and maybe a tank per summer to keep things clean[emoji4]

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #

It would be good to be able to hear what you are hearing, if that is possible. If it was an 1100, id have no hesitation about mentioning the heat shields, but just cos its a 1300 doesn't mean that there isn't a simple explanation.

If it sounds like a bucket of bolts, then go on a bolt hunt. A good place to start is the v formed by the exhaust pipes as they run by the sump - a good place for dropped nuts to come to rest. Try the fairing mounting bolt stalk near the ignition coil. Check the silencer clamps and the exhaust manifold bolts.

And when you have exhausted everthing else, remove that bunch of keys from the fairing pocket.

And yes, i've had all of these.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

That sounds strange to me. I don't believe that it is your technique.

Definitely doesn't sound good to me either. I think David may want to have a trusted motorcycle riding friend with a few years of riding experience ride his ST a couple of miles or so to give his feedback.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Definitely doesn't sound good to me either. I think David may want to have a trusted motorcycle riding friend with a few years of riding experience ride his ST a couple of miles or so to give his feedback.
Thanks Don,
I'm going to see if I can connect with the other fellow on the forum who lives in the same city as I do.
I want to ride another ST so I can rule out bike vs ST specific technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

My money is on an engine issue and not your technique. The ST's engine/drive train is not so special that it requires any special skill or training to keep from lugging the engine and it pulls evenly (in my experience) pretty far up the tach.

I never look at that tach when starting off but I well next time to see at what RPM gets me rolling. I'm a fairly sedate rider and the bike seldom sees 4,000rpm unless I'm on the highway or in a much bigger hurry than I should be.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

I was curious; on my way home I started watching the tach when leaving at stoplights. Generally I give it a little gas before I start to let the clutch out, about 1500 rpm is when I start to relrasr the clutch but I keep feeind gas and I'm not fully clutch out until about 2200.

I don;t normally watch the tach, just go by feel and muscle memory.

But if limping along at 2k and you go open throttle.. expect to hear a rumble rattle, unless you are in first gear and then just wait for the acceleration.

Top Bottom