OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If the clutch is being let out and throttle used smoothly (without extreme throttle movement), whether at 1000rpm , 1500, 2000, 3000, 4000 ... the engine and power train are smoothly loaded. There's no absence of loading as the engine rpm happens to be at 2000 rpm or go through 2000 rpm. Of course, at any of those RPM's the clutch lever action can be too quick (not smooth), or the throttle can be opened too aggressively at too low of RPM, and you'll perhaps get some shudder or rattle from the sudden change in detonation, piston, drivetrain, or clutch change in acceleration as they adjust to a sudden torque change--but that isn't at ~2000 rpm alone. There's no reason why there's a problem at 2000 rpm that isn't there at 1000, 1500, etc.

My bet is that there's either something exterior to the engine/powertrain that is vibrating 'nicely' at ~2000 rpm (like a piece of faring or a bolt loose so a part isn't fastened) OR that the clutch/drivetrain has something going on mechanically.

Best advice is to get another ST1300 rider to swap bikes with you and both of you get a sense of the differences (if any) in each other's bike while doing the same thing that causes the rattle in yours at ~2000 rpm.

[Tangential point... David, it is inappropriate to start 2 different threads on the same topic. Besides being bad forum etiquette, that is frustrating for those who are trying to follow and help with the issue.]
Yes, I regret starting two threads.
And in truth I regret asking the question at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Re: Technique or engine problem?

Don't regret asking questions David. I've been riding on the road for over 35 years and learn something new all the time. The day I stop that is the day I need to stop riding.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

I agree 100%! Don't stop asking questions, this is how we learn things. You would not believe all the folks that had no idea their brakes were completely locked up and failing until they asked questions :rolleyes:
We keep asking, we keep sharing, we keep learning....

Bike
ST1300

:plus1: On the questions! I'm on here quite bit. I have learned so much from others members questions. There are some brilliant ST people on here that have helped us sort out issues and prevent problems occurring before they become an issue.

Jimbo

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

My turn for a stupid question....is your clutch lever installed correctly? Is the rod/boot inserted into the brass bushing, or sitting on the edge of it?
Just trying to think outside the box. If it was up against the bushing, but not in the hole, it would allow the bike to move, but have a large jump at the contact point?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #

I regret starting two threads.
In truth I kinda regret asking the question at all.
Oh, no - please don't regret asking the questions. You will always get a whole load of answers and they will often be very different from each other. Hopefully, one of the answers will lead you to sorting out the problem, but the rest you will probably dismiss because you have checked that particular possibility. Trouble is, not one of us knows which comment will end up being the one that helps. We are just sharing our own experiences because we've all been in the situation where we run out of ideas about what the answer to our problem may be.

For example - I made a flippant comment earlier about keys in the fairing pocket - not to make a stupid comment, but because I once had an annoying rattle coming from the engine at certain revs. I couldn't locate the source and could never get it to rattle in the garage at home. But each time I went out for a ride, there it was again - quiet a lot of the time, but would rattle noisily when accelerating, and to me, the noise was definitely coming from the front of the engine, my clutch was falling to bits, my piston rings were broken, my valves were colliding with the piston and I was leaving a trail of bolts on the road behind me. It took about 3 months for me to realise what was actually causing the noise. When riding, I keep my house keys and top box key in the fairing pocket so that I can get at them easily with my gloves on. When I get the bike home, I open the top box with the keys from the fairing pocket, and take them into the house - and that's why it would never make the noise when I investigated. And it only did it at certain revs because the fairing resonates more in harmony with the engine at certain revs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Technique or engine problem?

After having spent the afternoon touring around with my sweetheart, I actually think it was my technique.

While STella will pull away at 1500 rpm with a minimum of fuss with only me aboard, two-up there's no way that's happening.

A 2000-2200 rpm, clutch in the friction zone start was far smoother.
What I did notice that if I let the rpm drop under 2000 the clatter was there. I believe this is what T_C was describing in his response.

As you wise people told me, there's not much torque under 2000 rpm. I'm gradually adjusting my riding style to this new reality.

I'm grateful to everyone that chimed in with advice. I apologize that I was a bit chippy. [emoji17]

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Technique or engine problem?

So how's your gas mileage been lately?
Well, when we left the house the tank was at three bars remaining and the average was at 9.9 km/l. When we got home it was at 11.1

I realize that it's not accurate but it's definitely a positive sign that it increased by over one km/l when riding two-up on hilly roads under 80 kmh.

We shall see when I fill up.

Last edited:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300

Do you get that bucket of bolts sound at any other RPM or in any other situation? Eg. downshifting, idle etc...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

Good news!
Now maybe if you start riding it in the correct RPM range you'll get even more :rofl1:
Glad your making progress.

Top Bottom