Bike won't start and it did yesterday. Leave in 5 days for a 1700 mile round trip.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Bike won't start and it did yesterday. Leave in 5 days for a 1700 mile round trip

Just keep me posted when you get back, and we'll give the cruise control a go over with two thought processes.
have you done one of those installs before by chance? Blayde Kennedy who helps with murph's kits installs on motorcycles came over to my house as he lives in Columbus Indiana. We spent 2 hours on my install and was not able to get it to work.

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Bike won't start and it did yesterday. Leave in 5 days for a 1700 mile round trip

I have not put one on a bike yet. But I am very willing to jump into helping you figure it out.

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #

have you done one of those installs before by chance? Blayde Kennedy who helps with murph's kits installs on motorcycles came over to my house as he lives in Columbus Indiana. We spent 2 hours on my install and was not able to get it to work.
Moddy, do you have a link to the installation instructions for your CC?? I would like to review them.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #

I've been looking at the audio-vox install in ST-Riders.net AOW. It is a good article also. Between the two, we should be able to get yours going.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #

Good to hear you got it fixed !!

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Good to hear you got it fixed !!
Thanks. Like many others who begin with the battery, mine wasn't suspect as it was only 3 1/2 years old compared to the 9 years the battery was in my machine previously. In retrospect, having replaced the battery yesterday and it returning to how a motorcycle should start up, the battery of 3 1/2 years took a beating with eventually needed to replace my 28A stator for the 40 and possibly an inconsistent float charging for about 3 months while on the Appalachian Trail. So, in future with an electrical anomaly, I will stick the ole voltmeter leads on and put a load on the battery and watch the show.
Lastly, I have an on board voltmeter that always showed 13.5 to 14.2, so it even more of a reason for the battery not to be suspect.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #

BTW, I believe the battery testers that most of the auto parts stores have are designed for car batteries, only. I have a cheap Harbor Freight version. They put a heck of a load on a small MC battery. A brand new MC will test "Weak" using one of these testers. BUT, the "Weak" reading will hold steady and won't take a nose-dive while applying the load. That basically means the MC battery passes as "GOOD" when using a car battery tester.

Another BTW : I was working on a friend's car a while back. She is about 82 years old and thinks she knows everything. I told her her battery was bad. It had a real interesting intermittent problem. I think it had an intermittent connection inside the battery. Sometime it would start, and other times I only got a "click" from the starter solenoid. She insisted the battery was good, since it was only about a year and a half old. I knew the battery was bad - it was obvious, since finally I got it to kinda act like yours; read about 12.6 volts without a load, but with the ignition and headlights on, it read only about 8 volts. What was really interesting was the headlights looked fairly bright with only 8 volts present. Anyway, I finally convinced her to replace the battery. I found the receipt for her battery in the glovebox - it was 7 years old.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

BTW, I believe the battery testers that most of the auto parts stores have are designed for car batteries, only. I have a cheap Harbor Freight version. They put a heck of a load on a small MC battery. A brand new MC will test "Weak" using one of these testers. BUT, the "Weak" reading will hold steady and won't take a nose-dive while applying the load. That basically means the MC battery passes as "GOOD" when using a car battery tester.

Another BTW : I was working on a friend's car a while back. She is about 82 years old and thinks she knows everything. I told her her battery was bad. It had a real interesting intermittent problem. I think it had an intermittent connection inside the battery. Sometime it would start, and other times I only got a "click" from the starter solenoid. She insisted the battery was good, since it was only about a year and a half old. I knew the battery was bad - it was obvious, since finally I got it to kinda act like yours; read about 12.6 volts without a load, but with the ignition and headlights on, it read only about 8 volts. What was really interesting was the headlights looked fairly bright with only 8 volts present. Anyway, I finally convinced her to replace the battery. I found the receipt for her battery in the glovebox - it was 7 years old.
I agree with your assessment on auto battery testers. It showed my battery in a lot better condition than it was. The clock dimmed when the ignition was turned on, that oughta tell you that it just didn't have the internal stability for cranking amps any longer.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #

That is a good question. I have read way-back-when that carbon piles were used as loads to test batteries and that you could vary the load by changing the pressure applied to the carbon pile. But the common load testers today use a fixed resistive load. As soon as I get a chance, I'll run out to my workshop and measure the resistance with my Ohm meter.

EDIT :

OK, I'm back .... With my Fluke digital meter, I'm reading 0.4 Ohms. But since it can't be any more accurate than +- 0.1 Ohms, it could actually be anywhere from 0.3 to 0.5 Ohms. If a battery could maintain 12 volts under load, that would be a current draw from anywhere from 40 to 24 Amps or 480 to 288 Watts.

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #

Like I stated above, I believe if a MC battery tests "weak" on the car battery tester, but the reading holds steady, then the MC battery is good, IMHO. This is what I saw when I tested a new AGM battery for my ST1100. So, the car battery load tester is useful in that regard.

Top Bottom