Buying a " new" ST 1300

Bike
2007 ST 1300
I may have too much time on my hands if I muse about things like this but just out of curiosity-

If the last year of manufacture for the ST was 2012 and one was to buy a "new" ( still crated/untitled) ST from a dealer , one would in truth be purchasing a 5 yr old bike.

What would the dealer do about the tires , battery etc. ? Seems to me they would have to be replaced if for no other reason than liability issues .

Anyone have any thoughts on this or better yet, any experience ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rdt1953
Bike
2007 ST 1300
Have you found one...??????

ToddC
No - nor am I looking - just curious as threads on this site as well as others indicate they are still available. They are still listed on Honda's website for 2018

Bike
VStrom 650
They are still available in dealers in the UK, for around £15,000.
But who would buy one when you can get low mileage nearly new for around £10,000.
As for the dealer's they'll change as little as possible. Most buyers wouldn't even think to ask IMO.
Upt'North.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I bought a new 2009 in December 2012. After we agreed on the purchase price I tried to negotiate a new battery and an amount equivalent to the dealer's cost price to do an oil and filter change, flush the brake fluid, flush the clutch fluid and the anti-freeze. I asked for a monetary amount instead of the actual work because I intended to do it myself. I did not get everything of course (you never do after all) but I did get a further $400.00 reduction in the purchase price towards these items. I also had it written in to the contract that if there was an age related tire failure within the first 2, 500 KM (1, 500 miles) they would replace the tires with new tires free-of-charge (parts & labour) with any one of the brands listed by Honda as OEM equipment. I reasoned that even though the tires were now 4 years old they were not exposed to ultraviolet light or the elements in any way so the risk of deterioration due to age was greatly reduced. If there was an issue it would probably manifest itself shortly after exposing the tires to stress. If there was no defect by 2, 500 KM's I would probably be good for the life of the tires. As it turned out the battery lasted 5 years- I just replaced it this summer. The tires never exhibited any issue and I ran them to the wear bars.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Have you found one...??????
In summer 2016 when I was searching for an ST1300, using searchtempest.com I found several 2012 models with 0 miles. Wish I could have afforded one...

Just now I couldn't find any 0-miles 2012s there. I did find a 2012 with only 2000 miles in Missouri here.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I recently bought a 2012. It has the original tires and battery. I am not worried about them. The bike now has 3000 miles that I put on it last summer on a long group trip. It is in standby mode waiting for my 06 to pass the 106k mile mark which will happen next spring. I put on about 20k a year commuting. Once I start riding the 12 the rear tire will be gone in 4 months and replaced with a car tire...
The battery may have been stored dry and the acid may have been added recently (when the bike was removed from the crate) so the battery may be really fresh....
When I bought my 06 in 11 it was 5 years old with only 6k miles. It now has 96k miles. No issues with the original tires, just wore them out, the battery was replaced about two years ago.

You will need fresh tires if you are going to the track or pushing the bike to it limits on tight windy roads.
5 year old tires should be checked but should be fine for casual riding.
This is just my experience and opinion. You take a lot of risks every time you turn the key....
consider all the variables....

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I bought my 2012 in September of 2015, I trucked it from east of Seattle to Beaverton Oregon, Added a few FARKLEs (including a RDL) so I could ride it the 1,100 miles home. Before my trip to WeSTOC 2016, I replaced the tires, they had about 1,500 miles on them.

It now has on over 14K and just before my trip to Oregon this last June, I flushed out the brakes and clutch and the other fluids, except the forks. While I was up in Oregon, I had to replace the rear tire and have now replaced the front tire!

I'm not commuting on it, since I have the other bikes to tear up doing that, but I do try to get it out once in awhile! ;)

Top Bottom