New shop area

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Hi to all - Yesterday marked the 5 yr anniversary of Superstorm Sandy . Shortly before the storm I had begun tearing down my 1972 Norton Commando for a total redo. I built new wheels with SS rims and spokes , sleeved the master cylinder for more progressive feel and drilled the solid non- floating Lockheed rotor and had it Blanchard ground.
We had to evacuate ( again !) and I only had one lift at the time so my ES 2 that I spent 4 years on went on the lift , the ST went in the trailer to higher ground , and the Commando went on an ATV jack. When we were allowed back home for a few hours to inspect our property I found the water had rose to twenty two inches in the garage. The ES 2 was fine but the Commando got wet up to the axles - halfway up the crankcase / gearbox. After a rinse a quick pull of the drain plugs had no water coming out so hopefully all will be well in that department. No sympathy here please - We were very fortunate- many faired much worse.

Little did I know that it would be 5 years to the day that I would get back to the Commando - life got in the way with starting my own business, lifting our home and and marrying off our first daughter.

So in celebration here are a few shots of the new shop area - well worth the effort and the wait.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
Very nice. What kind of lathe is that? Does the swing arm act as a milling/drilling machine?

OP
OP
Rdt1953
Bike
2007 ST 1300
Very nice. What kind of lathe is that? Does the swing arm act as a milling/drilling machine?
The Lathe is an inexpensive (relatively) Smithy lathe /mill combo. The swing arm is indeed a mill/ drill unit but it could stand improvement . Travel in the z axis ( vertical) is coarse and the only power feed is in the x (cross feed) axis when the lathe is engaged. When the mill/ drill head is engaged the power feed function is lost so smooth finishes are more difficult

Top Bottom