New Goldwings on Display Today

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
Went for a Charity Ride this morning in Los Angeles called The Ride For Kids.
Honda Torrance is the main sponsor, and the ride started at the Honda Headquarters.
Near the registration tables were two brand new 2018 Goldwings, Regular (bagger) and Tour versions, unofficially called GL1800 Gen2.
I was very surprised to see how compact and sporty they were.
The comment I heard most was "It looks like a new ST1300".
Seeing photos online is great, but standing next to the new Wing gives you a true sense of the shorter and muscular dimensions.
As one Honda Big Cheese told me, "We didn't build this new model for the Current Wing owners, but for a younger rider."
Jefro.

Attachments

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Went for a Charity Ride this morning in Los Angeles called The Ride For Kids.
Honda Torrance is the main sponsor, and the ride started at the Honda Headquarters.
Near the registration tables were two brand new 2018 Goldwings, Regular (bagger) and Tour versions, unofficially called GL1800 Gen2.
Seeing photos online is great, but standing next to the new Wing gives you a true sense of the shorter and muscular dimensions.
As one Honda Big Cheese told me, "We didn't build this new model for the Current Wing owners, but for a younger rider."
Jefro.
I am within 10 miles of Torrance today so I Googled Honda of Torrance and found a few places but none by that name. Can you give me more info so I can narrow down which one to call and find out their hours and how long the bike will be available to see? Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jefro

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
1919 Torrance Blvd, Torrance California.

Right now the two bikes are in San Pedro Harbor area where our ride finished after cruising around Palos Verde Peninsula.
But I suspect that they will most likely be inside the lobby of Honda HQ along with a few cars on display.
And I am sure they will be at the Long Beach International Motorcycle Show Nov 17-19 here in California.
Jefro.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Jefro said:
Uh oh. That's something I've been really wanting to hear and also a little afraid to hear. Fortunately it's probably still too big to fit in my tiny parking space so at least there's that. 2018 Gold Wing Tour DCT Pearl White.

And it's really heartening to hear that it evoked 'looks like an ST' type comments. If I got one I'd want a couple vinyl ST1800 decals made for the fairing. :rofl1: And I'd get a personalized plate to match.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Jefro thanks for all the inside baseball on this bike. It's really great to know what we know so far without having ridden the bike or read some ride reviews. Thanks!

OP
OP
Jefro

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
At the Charity Ride I spoke to many Honda Managers that were directly involved in the development of the new Wings.
The conversation that struck me the most was when one Big Cheese said they struggled with forward thinking designs, and mentioned Lincoln, Harley Davidson and Cadillac as having a "Legacy Problem" too.
Jefro.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
At the Charity Ride I spoke to many Honda Managers that were directly involved in the development of the new Wings.
The conversation that struck me the most was when one Big Cheese said they struggled with forward thinking designs, and mentioned Lincoln, Harley Davidson and Cadillac as having a "Legacy Problem" too.
Jefro.
And did you ask them the question of the 21st Century?

"Where is the new ST1300?"

:rofl1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here's a pic showing one dimension of how it's been trimmed down:

2017 :2018 GWs.jpg

Not a ballerina by any means but I think it bodes well for handling. Some of the demo rider reviews have been pretty favorable. Obviously everyone has to judge for themselves as to their preferences.

This bike is probably not in my future but I like it big time. Love the tech stuff too and especially the keyless ignition.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Here's a pic showing one dimension of how it's been trimmed down:

2017 :2018 GWs.jpg

Not a ballerina by any means but I think it bodes well for handling. Some of the demo rider reviews have been pretty favorable. Obviously everyone has to judge for themselves as to their preferences.

This bike is probably not in my future but I like it big time. Love the tech stuff too and especially the keyless ignition.

I'd like to see the same picture with an ST1300 in the mix!

I have to admit I've been kind of lusting after it. But there are things I don't like: being totally dependent on Bluetooth, having to do GPS routes on the Honda online app, odd shaped interior of luggage (and it's small size compared to years past). The dash is almost TOO complicated, as is managing some of the tech.

Going to Long Beach with SWMBO, so I'll eyeball it there. But a lot of the Wing guys are already putting money down, I wonder if Honda will have a hit on their hands. I hate standing in line just to get charged MSRP or above!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
192 liters of storage REDUCED to 110 liters - why would you do that to a GoldWing ? : http://goldwingdocs.com/Newsletter/
That's a little misleading... it's down from 150L on the 2017 to 110L on the 2018. The 192L is the much older GL1500.

That being said, too bad they had to reduce it that much. Wouldn't stop me from purchasing it though.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'd like to see the same picture with an ST1300 in the mix!

I have to admit I've been kind of lusting after it. But there are things I don't like: being totally dependent on Bluetooth, having to do GPS routes on the Honda online app, odd shaped interior of luggage (and it's small size compared to years past). The dash is almost TOO complicated, as is managing some of the tech.

Going to Long Beach with SWMBO, so I'll eyeball it there. But a lot of the Wing guys are already putting money down, I wonder if Honda will have a hit on their hands. I hate standing in line just to get charged MSRP or above!
Pretty much agree Jim. Look forward to your comments after seeing it in person.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
That's a little misleading... it's down from 150L on the 2017 to 110L on the 2018. The 192L is the much older GL1500.

That being said, too bad they had to reduce it that much. Wouldn't stop me from purchasing it though.
I fully expect that one of the aftermarket suppliers will offer a turbo kit for the GW storage, thus getting the same (if not more!) performance out of the smaller displacement. :)

Last edited:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I fully expect that one of the aftermarket suppliers will offer a turbo kit for the GW storage, thus getting the same (if not more!) performance out of the smaller displacement. :)
Now that's some outta the box thinkin there!

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Excellent question as that can be less than an ST with large Givi top box.
The ST1300 with Honda (gray market) Top Box is 115L. Actually larger than the new Wing, which unfortunately has an even more odd shaped interior.

But the wife likes Gold Wings, and I like electronics stuff.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
Really, new bike. Don't sit on me? Most of reveals I been fortunate to see , say sit on it , check it out. I bet once dealers get them, you will have to sign a contract before a test ride.

Top Bottom