Has anyone bought the new Alpinestars Tech-Air airbag?

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Has anyone bought the new Alpinestars Tech Air airbag? I was wondering about ease of arming the system. There was a review from a European that said arming was flaky. I was wondering if they fixed it in the USA version.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I saw another manufacturer's airbag jacket/vest (don't remember which) at the Long Beach show. It was much simpler deploying by a lanyard when being ejected from the bike. It too is reusable.

The use of accelerometers would seem to cover more bases regarding types of impacts.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I've got a Helite. It is HOT in the summer. I'm hoping this will be more comfortable. They are faster deploying (for when you T bone that car) and offer shoulder protection. They are the only bag I've seen with shoulder protection. I'm going to get it, but I do want to see a review. Somebody posted a review of the Jacket and said it saved his bacon when he slid into an intersection. He said he landed on his shoulder and it felt like he fell on a firm mattress. He didn't offer any insights on arming and comfort.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think it was Helite that I saw at Long Beach. The $649 price (now 15% off until 25 DEC) stuck in my memory along with the lanyard.

He deployed one and it didn't look like the Sta-Puf Man. Handy if you forget to disconnect before walking away from the bike.

The Tech-Air is a big investment but RevZ says it's 'modular' so maybe it can be rebuilt (not just a new cartridge) if damaged in use.

Too bad it's only available in black. In yellow it would be reminiscent of the old Mae West.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
The Tech Air is attached INSIDE one of the 2 approved jackets. It can go from one jacket to the other. Right now there are only 2, but I imagine there will be more at some point. It can be recharged, but it has to be sent off. It also has to be sent off after so many years for an inspection. After my Hit Air (my first airbag) failed to deploy after a ruptured bladder, I totaly understand the need for that.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Someone reviewed it over on ADV rider, so I ordered it today. I got the mesh jacket. I figure I'll wear a Froggs Toggs upper when it is cold or raining. I normally ride in the heat of the summer, and the non mesh jackets are hot for our climate.

Top Bottom