FI 2 Blinks Map Sensor Fault - Only Sometimes?

Evening all

I recently bought a ST1300 and all was fine until the battery started to die (That's when I noticed the problem at least!). So before tinkering with it I drove it 3 hours to get it home and I had a few more rides on it the days after I got it, all was fine. I then parked it up for a week or so to do a few mods on it, heated grips, dash LED conversion, wired the sat nav in ect ect.

Came to start it, nothing, so I had to charge the battery first. Upon starting it I noticed the revs were a bit all over the place on idle then the FI light started flashing at me, I found this to mean there's a fault with the MAP sensor. I found out online how to reset the ECM (start up, don't touch the throttle, fans kick in, cut the engine, job done) This cleared the fault and it didn't come back for a few days. Changed the battery as it was shot, had a few rides, all okay still. Left the bike for a week or so and came to start it yesterday, the code is back again! So I reset the ECM the same as before and it was all fine for the days riding I did.

My question is, has anyone else had the same issue with a fault only showing up after the bike has been stood for a while or is this a first? I'm only asking as I really don't want to strip the bike down and fork out for a new MAP sensor if the one I have is okay.

Sorry for the large message but I just wanted to give the full story.

Cheers, Dan

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Evening all

I recently bought a ST1300 and all was fine until the battery started to die (That's when I noticed the problem at least!). So before tinkering with it I drove it 3 hours to get it home and I had a few more rides on it the days after I got it, all was fine. I then parked it up for a week or so to do a few mods on it, heated grips, dash LED conversion, wired the sat nav in ect ect.

Came to start it, nothing, so I had to charge the battery first. Upon starting it I noticed the revs were a bit all over the place on idle then the FI light started flashing at me, I found this to mean there's a fault with the MAP sensor. I found out online how to reset the ECM (start up, don't touch the throttle, fans kick in, cut the engine, job done) This cleared the fault and it didn't come back for a few days. Changed the battery as it was shot, had a few rides, all okay still. Left the bike for a week or so and came to start it yesterday, the code is back again! So I reset the ECM the same as before and it was all fine for the days riding I did.

My question is, has anyone else had the same issue with a fault only showing up after the bike has been stood for a while or is this a first? I'm only asking as I really don't want to strip the bike down and fork out for a new MAP sensor if the one I have is okay.

Sorry for the large message but I just wanted to give the full story.

Cheers, Dan
From the FI 2 code it sounds as though the 5-way T needs to be cleaned. Very unlikely the MAP sensor has an issue. Resetting the ECU will clear the light but doesn't deal with the problem.

Do a bit of searching here and you'll find that cleaning the T is not that big a deal. I cleaned mine in about 2 hrs. First time I'd pulled the plastic and been under the tank so it's not a daunting job.

OP
OP
Dpalmer_220992
Thanks for the quick reply, I assume the 'T' is the connection into the MAP sensor?

I will have a search around to see if I can find anymore info about said job.

Cheers

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks for the quick reply, I assume the 'T' is the connection into the MAP sensor?

I will have a search around to see if I can find anymore info about said job.

Cheers
Yup, the 5-way T connects each TB to the MAP sensor.
(Shameless self-promotion ahead!) Here's my post about the FI light and cleaning the T. Not saying I did it totally right because I didn't replace the vacuum lines.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?160473-FI-light-flashing&highlight=

Last edited:
Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
I recall the manual said something about the engine has to reach 4000rpm before the flashing code activates. This may explain why the code does not immediately return after you reset it.
Kenny

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Reading from the pics of the service manual you sent me Kenny :)
Pg 4-9:
"When the engine is running above 5000 rpm and is being ridden, the lights will come on and stay on. When the motorcycle is on the sidestand and the engine is running below 5000 rpm the light will flash the pattern indicating the code for the fault the ECM has identified."

OP
OP
Dpalmer_220992
Just had a quick read up on your post DavidR8, Looks like I'll be doing the same as you over winter. Give it all a good clean out and a service I think.

Cheers, Dan

Bike
2007 ST 1300
I had the same problem after I bought my 2007 ST1300. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the MAP sensor but they got the same error after the replacement. The disconnected the battery for 24 hours and then clear the codes. After this I didn't the error light for a couple of weeks. Now when the FI light blinks 2x, I ride the bike for about 10 minutes, turn off the ignition and restart, no error light for some time. Dealer thought it could be the computer going bad, go thing it wasn't because they cost $1,000.00. Replacing the MAP Sensor and replacing the fork seals, cost me $900.00.

BTW, the dealer and Honda Tech could not find anyone that had the test harness for the 2007s.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I had the same problem after I bought my 2007 ST1300. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the MAP sensor but they got the same error after the replacement. The disconnected the battery for 24 hours and then clear the codes. After this I didn't the error light for a couple of weeks. Now when the FI light blinks 2x, I ride the bike for about 10 minutes, turn off the ignition and restart, no error light for some time. Dealer thought it could be the computer going bad, go thing it wasn't because they cost $1,000.00. Replacing the MAP Sensor and replacing the fork seals, cost me $900.00.

BTW, the dealer and Honda Tech could not find anyone that had the test harness for the 2007s.
Did your dealer clean the 5-way T as part of replacing the MAP sensor?

If they didn't you will continue to get the flashing FI light.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that replacing the sensor was unnecessary. All that needed to happen was clean the T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I recall the manual said something about the engine has to reach 4000rpm before the flashing code activates. This may explain why the code does not immediately return after you reset it.
Kenny
Not true for the MAP light error. I had the exact same problem and it occurs right at startup. The bike can't initially idle properly so it surges up and down, sometimes stalling then the ECM goes into back up mode, the idles steadies and the FI light comes on. The bike seems to run normally in that mode but the FI light remains on when riding and blinks out the code when stopped with the sidestand down.

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
On my 07 ST1300 I had the MAP sensor code come on intermittently, I was on a long trip and my mechanic assured me I was fine to continue the trip and get home without damaging anything. When I got back it had stopped so I rode it until it came on again on another long trip. This time though I was visiting my parents and my father's garage is tool laden and warm so I started in to clean the 5 way tee etc. I was pretty intimidated and when I got down to the hoses I couldn't easily get to the tee and was afraid of not being able to get things back together with the hoses etc. So what I did was take off the MAP sensor hose and blew it out with an air compressor, I had my thumb over the end to feel anything coming out and I had a few pieces that really came zinging out. After that I had no trouble with the codes coming back at all.
I also did a lot of research afterwards and saw what I did wrong, not doing the whole thing, the five tee and replacing the hoses and all that was suggested. On my next bike an 05 ST1300 I followed the suggestions here and replaced the hoses, cleaned the five way tee and did a synch. I did it on the 05 as a preventative measure and to help improve my mileage, which was lagging but thats a whole 'nother story.

OP
OP
Dpalmer_220992
Right, as the weather's been pretty shocking over in the UK the last few weeks I had time to strip my bike down to get to the 5 way connector. It was all relatively easy bar the 8 screws that held the base of the air box to the engine, some of them were already rounded from previous owners, but a lot of WD40 and swearing I managed to shift them. I replaced the hose with vac pipe, all be it very tricky to do with large hands and stiff new pipe. Gave the bike a service too while it was in bits, put it all back together, fired her up and bingo, problem solved! (The T piece was pretty blocked, especially the hose leading to the MAP sensor!)

So thanks a lot everyone for your help!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It was all relatively easy bar the 8 screws that held the base of the air box to the engine, some of them were already rounded from previous owners, but a lot of WD40 and swearing I managed to shift them.
Replace them with fresh screws using a JIS screwdriver (if you don't already have one) and you should never have that problem again. The 5-way T will need cleaning again. As I understand it you can increase the time between cleaning intervals by relocating the T above the throttle bodies (?) so that gunk doesn't pool in them in the original location.

OP
OP
Dpalmer_220992
I tried my hardest to get some replacement screws but the only place I could find them was from the US at £3.40 a screw plus postage and import taxes, to which I thought sod that! Plus I didn't want to wait for them to turn up. So the ones that were really chewed up I cut a slot in them to make them fit a flat head screwdriver, so next time should be easier and I may source replacements if I ever have to do it again.

As for the location of the T piece, because the new vac pipe is very stiff and thicker walled, it holds the T piece higher than standard, so fingers crossed it'll do the trick for some years!

Cheers

Bike
ST1300
I had the exact same thing, 3 days after buying mine!

I had an invoice from a previous owner into £600 for replacing the MAP sensor and wasn't looking forward to spending that kind of money for something replaced 4 months previous. Luckily I found this forum and it directed me towards cleaning the 5 way, has been good for 2,000 miles. Obviously the 5 way wasn't cleaned out when the garage changed the MAP (non Honda garage)

Top Bottom