dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have over 1000 miles now on the RT since the bike went back together. I did a series of 200-250 mile rides the last several weekends and I trust it now to ride further. I'm planning a 500+ mile Saturday. The seller had the bike gone through by a dealer prior to the decision to sell it. They did a leakdown test and while I do not have the numbers the results were very good. The seller prepared a detailed maintenance history and I like it. Things done on time and wear items fixed or replaced when necessary. Like me and the ST he expected to ride his RT beyond 200,000 miles. Of course anything can happen as the mileage it has but I've decided to keep it a while as the RT has begun to grow on me.

This presents a problem. My garage feng shui is all askew. Up until the RT followed me home I had room for everything and did not have to move anything to get a bike or the lawn equipment out. Two bikes and a scooter were the right number for me to exercise regularly and I still like riding them all. I will figure it out and maybe there is room figuratively and literally for two touring bikes in the garage but for now the ST is getting dusty in the corner.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Since you live in Florida a carport added to the side of the garage doesn't cost much?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: BMW R1200RT gets a new home

Well, the title of the thread is still true just no longer my home. I really liked this bike and rode it a little over 4,000 miles since repairing the drive train but I sold it today to a friend.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Re: BMW R1200RT gets a new home

Well, the title of the thread is still true just no longer my home. I really liked this bike and rode it a little over 4,000 miles since repairing the drive train but I sold it today to a friend.
A few more shekels for the ‘18 GW. ;)

Bike
07 ST1300
Good work though to take it from useless to worth something again.
I ran out of space as well so what I did was buy a smallish enclosed trailer to put my lawn tractor and snowblower and misc things in. Plus I have an enclosed trailer now!
But then you need a spot for the trailer to live.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's hard to explain my motivation but to just say it. I'm trying to get rid of the idols in my life... the things that keep me from walking closer to Jesus.

It's a regular prayer and coming to the decision to sell it was difficult because it was a great bike. I bonded with it and really wanted to keep but I had two guys wanting to buy it from day one and the small voice was clear. How often does that happen?

I have an abundance of things including the other bikes..... I'm no saint but in this matter my faith walk came first.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
It's hard to explain my motivation but to just say it. I'm trying to get rid of the idols in my life... the things that keep me from walking closer to Jesus.

It's a regular prayer and coming to the decision to sell it was difficult because it was a great bike. I bonded with it and really wanted to keep but I had two guys wanting to buy it from day one and the small voice was clear. How often does that happen?

I have an abundance of things including the other bikes..... I'm no saint but in this matter my faith walk came first.
Completely understand. [emoji106]

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
What is the status of the 05-07 R1200 final drive failures? A GS or R of that vintage with less than 50,000 miles would be fairly cheap, easily lowered with a Wilburs front and rear shock, and the most important part, weigh 500 pounds with a low center of gravity. If there was a way to bulletproof the drive at a reasonable cost before it grenaded I would have a much greater comfort level.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
What is the status of the 05-07 R1200 final drive failures? A GS or R of that vintage with less than 50,000 miles would be fairly cheap, easily lowered with a Wilburs front and rear shock, and the most important part, weigh 500 pounds with a low center of gravity. If there was a way to bulletproof the drive at a reasonable cost before it grenaded I would have a much greater comfort level.
Just buy yourself a 1250RT and be done with it :D.

Wes

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300, DRZ400S

Dealing with idols in our lives is never an easy process. Much like addictions, the most difficult step is recognizing and confessing what is stealing our passion away from the Lord. Blessings to you for your faith, courage, and obedience! May the freedom this brings yield even greater joy as you continue to ride the other bikes!

EDIT - So, I see now this was Feb 2018, not just a couple of weeks ago! :D. I hope the past 12 months have showed your decision to be even wiser!

Last edited:

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X

Although not all agree, this element of reality deserves consideration. Another bit of reality I've been studying these last few months can be summed up quite well here:
These two spheres are not, in my opinion, mutually exclusive.

Top Bottom