BMW R 1200RT gets a new home

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
So I know this fellow with a 2007 BMW R 1200RT. I've ridden a lot with him. He decided it was time to retire the 07 and buy a new RTW. The problem is the 07 bike has a lot of miles and needs a clutch and a main oil seal so it isn't worth anything even though cosmetically it's a 9.5. The dealer wouldn't give him anything for it against the new bike and the Facebook and Craiglist tire kickers were driving him crazy. I've known him since he bought it new and know the maintenance history of the bike so I'm taking a chance I can replace the clutch and get a few nice years out of it. You know, ride it close to home, two or three states away, and keep my BMWMOA roadside assistance up to date. Some of the expensive stuff has been done - brake rotors, the driveshaft was rebuilt, clutch slave replaced. The clutch on a boxer is an involved job but I did one on the BMW R100 I owned a few years back and I have other bikes to ride so I can take my time. I have missed my R100 and look forward to another boxer. If it goes south my investment is about as much as a new Garmin Zumo. Wish me luck!

Attachments

Last edited:

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Luck!
Actually, you probably scored a great deal Dave.

We were pretty much a split decision on ST vs. RT.
In the end the ownership costs of the RT scared us off.
Being that so other expensive work has been done splitting the bike to do clutch and main seal is likely not too bad of a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
I've ridden quite a few mikes behind that bike too. Looking forward to assisting with clutch believe it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
07 ST1300
This is no airhead Dave. I would imagine there is plenty of support available though.
Keep us posted. I am very curious about it.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
You can do it!...... sounds like an interesting challenge. I just finished splitting the cases on my WR and had the engine in 1000 pieces last spring. I had a busy summer and just spent a few days recently putting it all back together. No pieces left over and it fired right up. Find a good service manual and refer to the parts diagrams, take pictures and it shouldn't be a problem. Really, most jobs are just taking things apart logically and putting them back together with the necessary new parts...... you can do it!

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is no airhead Dave. I would imagine there is plenty of support available though.
Keep us posted. I am very curious about it.
Jim, I remember looking at that 300 lb Atomic Four nestled down deep in my Morgan 30 knowing I had to somehow lift it out and take it home and rebuild it. I put the job off a year thinking about the unknowns. Oh how smoothly that engine ran when the job was finished. I wished I had done it years earlier. This is kind of like that except there are all kinds of resources and help available.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I rented one of those back in 2008 in Colorado- put 1100 miles on it in about 5 days. Very nice bike, very comfy with all the heated seat, grips and powered windshield. It was a tall bike though. If you can work on it yourself and get it relatively cheap, more power to you!

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Dave, if you lived closer I would offer any assistance needed, but you live in the Sunshine State and I live in the snow belt, so good luck buddy.

Sent using Tapatalk

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Nice bike Dave!!! You'll have it done in no time!!! You can do this over winter, wait you live where there is no winter LOL!!!!

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Jim, I remember looking at that 300 lb Atomic Four nestled down deep in my Morgan 30 knowing I had to somehow lift it out and take it home and rebuild it. I put the job off a year thinking about the unknowns. Oh how smoothly that engine ran when the job was finished. I wished I had done it years earlier. This is kind of like that except there are all kinds of resources and help available.
A Morgan 30! Nice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have no first hand experience with Oilheads, but my friend is looking at a spline lube/clutch replacement on his '99 R1100RS and he says that having a winch available to elevate the rear end and a rig to hold it there is necessary. Good luck.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have no first hand experience with Oilheads, but my friend is looking at a spline lube/clutch replacement on his '99 R1100RS and he says that having a winch available to elevate the rear end and a rig to hold it there is necessary. Good luck.
I studied the service manual last night before starting out. You can swivel the rear subframe up or remove it completely when you get to that point. I do have a lift installed in my garage ceiling but I'll probably remove the subframe so I won't have to park the bike under the lift and block the other bikes in. The 2007 is a Hexhead but the process is just about the same pre-2005s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom