48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
For those of you that watch eaby, look what you missed:

Cheap Windshield Mechanism

It's like they are selling a bent up Upper Cowl Stay, and including the mechanism (yes, I checked with them, what you see is what you get) :D

Byron

STOC #
I'm sure you have a straight bracket laying around somewhere. :)

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm sure you have a straight bracket laying around somewhere. :)
Oh, that I do, a cop one! This upper cowl stay will find it out in the bin with all the other bent cowl stays and bent tip over bars! ;)

But, let's face it, I didn't buy it for the cowl stay! :rofl1:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Bob, I thought you'd cornered the market on ST1300 parts, surprised to see there was one you didn't already have.

Very good on the find but my advice is never operate the shield over 25 mph and you wont need to fix it most likely. :)

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bob, I thought you'd cornered the market on ST1300 parts, surprised to see there was one you didn't already have.
What makes you think I don't already have one, or two, or three... more parts the merrier! :D

My plans are to take a couple of these, clean them up, rebuild them, and I might even sell one! ;)

Very good on the find but my advice is never operate the shield over 25 mph and you wont need to fix it most likely. :)
I operate mine over 25 all the time. I just don't put it up that far!

And it really depends on a number of things. 1st, biggest problem with these is they don't get maintained. 2nd, they are getting old and because of #1, they fail. I put 124K on my 2005 before it failed under warranty. I also had the 04#1's fail due to a FARKLE wire that got caught in the cable.

I've rebuilt one, replacing a bad "Dog" (as someone called them) on a good cable.

Even for lowering it?
No, lowering it usually doesn't cause any issue, that I've seen!

In the 300K + miles I have put on ST1300s in the last 12 years, I've moved my windshield up and down at speeds above 80mph, many times!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SupraSabre said:
No, lowering it usually doesn't cause any issue, that I've seen!
That may be the case but in some areas I err on the side of caution/over-cautiousness because fixing this is pricey.

At speed the windshield is loaded by wind pressure in either raising or lowering. With the latter the weight of the windshield probably isn't a consideration where the gear and tracks are a concern.

So while it might not be necessary to make it an absolute full-time practice not to lower it at speed I certainly do minimize it.

And regular cleaning and lubricating of the track and gear would also go far (lol) in preserving the aforementioned. Not that I've done that yet. :22yikes:

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
My windshield has not worked since I bought my ST 4 years ago. I am afraid to go dig into it. I know there are broken pieces in there as I have taken the tupperware off. I guess this thread has reminded me to keep checking e bay. I would love to purchase a whole new mechanism and pop it in. Mine makes noise when I put the button but tracks and cables appear broken. If one is for sale please don't hesitate to pm me!!! nudge nudge.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My windshield has not worked since I bought my ST 4 years ago. I am afraid to go dig into it. I know there are broken pieces in there as I have taken the tupperware off. I guess this thread has reminded me to keep checking e bay. I would love to purchase a whole new mechanism and pop it in. Mine makes noise when I put the button but tracks and cables appear broken. If one is for sale please don't hesitate to pm me!!! nudge nudge.
There are six major areas these windshields fail. I'll try to put them in order on most occurrences:

1. The stripped gear: one side or the other of the windshield doesn't go up or down at the same time the other side does.

2. One of the cables strip: one side or the other of the windshield doesn't go up or down at the same time the other side does.
Note: for #1 & #2, you don't know until you tear it apart, even then you need to know what you are looking at to be able to tell.

3. The Up or Down sensor goes bad. Usually the windshield doesn't stop when it's going up or down.
Note: To test, (with the front, under the windshield, cowl off), when the windshield is going up, press on the top switch and going down, press the bottom switch. If pressing either of the switches doesn't stop it, you got a problem. Sometimes the switch is out of place and just needs to be relocated in its proper location.

4. The Up or Down relay goes bad. Usually the windshield doesn't go up or it doesn't go down.
Note: To test the relays, just swap them out, they are identical.

5. The windshield is jerking up or down or both. Probably dirty!

6. One of the "Dogs" (since this term was used someplace and it's as good as any) breaks and one side of the windshield doesn't go up or down.
Note: This is usually what you find when you experience a crash and the windshield gets torqued. There are two little attached pieces to the "dogs" that get broken off. Since they are attached to the cables, there is no fixing the dogs. You can, however replace them if you find a "good dog" that is on a stripped cable. This is how I fixed one, once.

ws-mech-broke.jpgwindshieldMech3.jpgwindshieldMech2.jpgwindshieldMech1.jpg

Okay so now for the bad news of you that are looking for a "cheap" replacement!

It's not out there!

A "good" used unit will sale usually between $150 and $200 (you might not know it's bad until after you get it and tear into it).

A bad/broken unit can go for $50 to $150, depending on the person selling it. and what's wrong with it.

I have been watching ebay for parts for a long time and yes, i have gotten burned at times. (I recently picked up some "great condition 05 mirror covers with two turnsignals and wires" The wires were missing and only one of the covers were, what I would call marginal. I contacted the guy and he said he would refund me $20 out of the $50. I told him $30 or I would send them back to him at his cost! Yes, I was a bit pissed...and so it happens on ebay, but this also happens on the forum. :eek:4:

I have been buying a few of the "cheaper" (by cost) windshields I see on ebay, so I can fix up a couple for my bikes. With the miles I have been putting on these bikes, having an good (refurbished) one on hand never hurts. And don't forget, I have two bikes that still will need them, once I get around to restoring them. :eek:4:

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
that is good information and thank you for it. I may just dig into mine this long cold winter. At least learn what is really wrong with it.

again .. great informative folks on this forum. So glad I found it.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I sure hope the one on the new GL1800 is better, what with a bigger screen and all...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
what with a bigger screen and all...
I think the screen is smaller than the current 1800's screen so that should help some. I wonder what bits if any of the mechanism are replaceable. Spending $400 from Honda (are they still available) or stalking eBay aren't my idea of fun.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think the screen is smaller than the current 1800's screen so that should help some. I wonder what bits if any of the mechanism are replaceable. Spending $400 from Honda (are they still available) or stalking eBay aren't my idea of fun.
That's why I've been collecting the "cheap", broken ones! :)

Top Bottom