Low Idle Stalling

Bike
2005 ST1300
When cold starting my 2005 it starts right up and idles well above 1K until it warms up. As it warms up the idle begins to drop and goes well below 1K and will stall out unless I keep the throttle up. Once it gets its three bars temp it is fine. Getting to that point it is having difficulty at idle. I can drive it but until it warms up completely it will stall because of such low idle. Is there a sensor that is failing possibly?

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
When cold starting my 2005 it starts right up and idles well above 1K until it warms up. As it warms up the idle begins to drop and goes well below 1K and will stall out unless I keep the throttle up. Once it gets its three bars temp it is fine. Getting to that point it is having difficulty at idle. I can drive it but until it warms up completely it will stall because of such low idle. Is there a sensor that is failing possibly?
I suggest that 5-way T needs cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The 5-way T is a vacuum connection between the four throttle bodies and the MAP sensor. Four vacuum lines to the throttle bodies and one to the MAP sensor makes five.
I cleaned mine after after some rough idling and the FI light flashing the code for the MAP sensor. While this seems like a big deal, it was a really easy job. Probably took less than 2 hrs.
Have a look here for my first journey into the mechanicals of my ST1300: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?160473-FI-light-flashing&p=2038153&viewfull=1#post2038153

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
While you're in there, also make sure the linkages that connect the wax engine to the starter valves are clean and move freely.

--Mark

OP
OP
Carter
Bike
2005 ST1300
Would you know what the inner diameter of the hoses is? i should have some on hand in case i need them.

Top Bottom