And another

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Well technically it wasn't me.
My partner bumped STella as she was moving her van out of her parking spot. STella tipped over on her right side.
I was on my way to work when I got the call
"Are you driving?"
"Yup, what's up?"
With sniffles in her voice "I accidently tipped STella over"
"No worries love, I'll come back and stand her up"
When I got home she got out of the van teary eyed. I asked if she was ok.
"I just don't want anything to happen to STella"

STella was fine, I popped her back on her 'feet' with hardly a thought.

For the record: my hat is off to all of you who advised me to forget about the weight of an ST1300. Two drops and each time I've righted her with no sweat. So much different than my Tiger.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Seriously? It's easy to pick up. I cannot imagine that someone hasn't claimed this prize by now. I'm almost willing to put STella on her side just for the $.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Hmm
I was darn close as I had 1/2 tank of gas. No video though.
Is Doug saying it can't be done????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Two drops and each time I've righted her with no sweat.
My hat's off to ya! Only one but it was a bear getting it righted. Only slight scuff on the tip over bar. It was lying on a decline port side. I did it like the 12yro did the GoldWing only not as easy nor nearly as quickly. I looked like Dr. Bruce Banner as he was turning but never got there. It took a few days to recover.

Nothing about which I'd like to do again.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I picked up my 1100 by myself twice, but I was a younger stronger man in those days. Not sure how I'd do if presented with the same situation today.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
My hat's off to ya! Only one but it was a bear getting it righted. Only slight scuff on the tip over bar. It was lying on a decline port side. I did it like the 12yro did the GoldWing only not as easy nor nearly as quickly. I looked like Dr. Bruce Banner as he was turning but never got there. It took a few days to recover.

Nothing about which I'd like to do again.
Thanks @ST GUI
I'm rather surprised how easily I picked it up this morning. Despite having the tip over wing dug into the soft driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST-1300
It's all in the technique just like putting it on the center stand. I thought it was one of the easier "heavy bikes" to pick-up as well. Maybe because I get lot's of practice picking up little bikes coaching MSF classes:)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
drtyrrel said:
It's all in the technique just like putting it on the center stand.
Technique doesn't make it easy. Physical strength makes it easy. Technique just makes it easier. It can only compensate so much.

Can an ST be picked up from a TO on the TOB? Certainly. By some people even me. Is it all in the technique? Of course not.

I bet I could right a GW more easily than an ST1300. I also bet that 12yo girl would have a tough time with an ST1300 compared to the GW. I don't know anything about the 1100.

Besides physical strength and 'technique' there are other variables— tire pressure fuel capacity road surface and incline/decline. At the end of the day— righting an ST the same way some people will do it more easily than others and some not at all.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Andrew Shadow said:
Just to make sure that there can be no debate put 20 Lbs. in each saddlebag as well
A 20lb weight plate in each bag could have a different effect than 20lbs of clothes in each bag.

Picking up a 1300 is do-able by some and not by others. I barely make it out of the latter to the former. Technique made it possible not easy at all.

If it happens again I'd welcome extra help. Meantime prevention is foremost on my mind.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I didn't say it was easy. I said easier than most heavy bikes. I know it's easier than my r1100rt that is at least 100 pounds lighter. It doesn't tip over as far as my BMW.

Top Bottom