Running out of gas

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Last summer we circled Lake Superior and I should have bought fuel in Wawa as there isn't any opportunity to buy fuel for a long stretch once you leave Wawa.

[video=youtube_share;5jMej_BVvjY]https://youtu.be/5jMej_BVvjY[/video]

Gerhard

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Yup, that's a remote stretch of road!
I've done exactly the same thing several times. In cars mind you but still grateful to see the red can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Yes Wawa to the Sault can be an issue, I was fortunate last spring as there was an Esso station open near Pancake Bay. Heading West I try to get to Marathon, I actually drive into Marathon 8km each way but at the superstore gas station by the A&W, fuel is 8 cents a litre cheaper than on the Highway, at the Airport Motel Esso station. Thunder Bay is still expensive but not as bad as Wawa. Dryden the price of fuel is usually 10-15 cents a litre cheaper than in Thunder Bay. It's all in the planning. ;)

Bike
2005 st1300
I did exactly the same thing (meaning left wawa with barely enough fuel) on the same stretch in my pickup 5 years ago. The miles are much longer when you are fixated on the fuel gauge and it is -30c. Made it into the soo on fumes

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gerhard

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Thanks for watching and the comments. I never told Cherie that we where low enough on gas that I thought we where in danger of stalling any minute now so she was surprised when I pulled into the campground.

This and many other reasons justify the gas tank capacity of the ST.
I think actually the size of the tank can work against you because you don't think about running out of gas. The last time I had bought gas was in Nipigon the previous morning, we stayed in Wawa and a reasonable person would have bought gas there that night but i did not and when we left in the morning it was raining miserably and the access road to the gas station east of Wawa was in bad shape with ruts left by trucks and big potholes. I thought well the low fuel light isn't on yet, I have enough to the next place which must be in better shape, turned out to be wrong on both counts. By the time I pulled into that campground we had 450 km out of the last fill up, then I saw the sign next gas 50 km and I knew if I did not look for a place to beg a little gas we would be standing next to the highway.

I’ve done exactly the same thing several times. In cars mind you but still grateful to see the red can!
I have never actually run right out with the RT but I did with the ST which fortunately happened in front of the house of someone I am acquainted with so had no trouble knocking on his door.

I was fortunate last spring as there was an Esso station open near Pancake Bay.
That is where I ended up filling up, the attendant said they only had regular grade fuel and I could get premium at the next station, I replied fill 'er up.

The miles are much longer when you are fixated on the fuel gauge and it is -30c.
That temperature would add to the stress for sure, glad you did not have to wait for gas in those temperatures.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Going either way, I always have gassed up in Wawa... and gone into Young's General Store. I've gotten in the habit of gassing up between 350 and 400 kms. I've run as far as 500 kms. on one tank but I was really worried at the end. One thing to note, when the fuel pump gets exposed in the lower tank in hot weather, you will be contributing to it's premature demise.

Top Bottom