Where do these go?

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
Okay. I just completed putting The ST back together and I ended up with a couple of spare parts somehow... The problem with this bike is that the original owner made some modifications and substitutions along the way, and I don't recall if these are form an area I overlooked in the reconstruction phase, or if I replaced them with the correct OEM items.

Any clues?

Attachments

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
This looks like parts 41 and 33 on this fiche. The part that you have appears to be missing the back side of the clip. The fiche shows that there are 24 of the nut clips, They frequently come loose and drop off the tupperware. I am assuming that the screw is a 5mm thread? I would order some extra clips and screws for the next time you have the plastic off.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Those are not OEM screws. The threaded metal tabs are not the common 5mm nut clips, IMHO, they appear to be broken off frame tabs for fairing pieces, either the lower fairing or maybe even the tip over covers, dunno for sure. Then again, I could be wrong....

John

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
John OoSTerhuis said:
IMHO, they appear to be broken off frame tabs for fairing pieces, either the lower fairing or maybe even the tip over covers
+1 Those threaded bits aren't missing anything. Well aren't missing anything except the bike they're supposed to be attached to.

They certainly look like they could be the tabs that the tip over covers are secured to.

Bike
R1200rt
+1 Those threaded bits aren't missing anything. Well aren't missing anything except the bike they're supposed to be attached to.

They certainly look like they could be the tabs that the tip over covers are secured to.
My tip over cover are threaded in the brackets,, could be anywhere on the fairing, The clips are broken and not the original screws. In fact the do not look kike original clips .

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: 5mm nut clips falling off. In 1994 I stripped all the plastic parts off my new-to-me ‘91 SSMST. I pinched every clip a bit and then forced it back on its fairing piece. I’ve never had one come off since, and believe me, the Grey GhOOST has been naked many times. :)

I just looked at an OEM clip I have in my spare parts carry-along kit and the ones in the picture are not the same. What size thread are they... 6mm?

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loki WRX YZF
Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks, all. I don;t believe that they are from the tip over cover as mine are also welded to the brackets and are MUCH smaller.

I should have provided a scale for the parts. They are much larger than a 5mm. They're more along the line of 8mm. And I agree, the threaded tabs appear to be broken in that what is there is only half of the full clip. You can see the rust on the one side of the clip on the bottom where the other portion snapped off...

I'll add another picture later when I get home for better scale.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
They look like 6mm bolts to me - but only because I have some that shape head and they are 6mm. Impossible to say from the photo. As John says, they are not Honda. The 5mm clips don't have that length of threaded section.

Looking at the Fiche, part number 42 is a 6mm thread and they belong to the belly pan fitment. Part number 90320MM5000 - Google it under images.
The 5mm part is number 90312MT3000 and these are used to hold most of the fairing sections together.

Odd that these break, without taking some of the fairing with them - but that is the way I would have it happen if I had the choice !

I bought myself a load of them once upon a time - I got fed up of finding damaged / rusted ones on my new to me ST1100. But having a ready supply seems to stop the problem - I still have most of them left !

Its an excellent idea to pinch them together a bit so that they cannot fall off when the bolt is removed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loki WRX YZF
Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
I bought myself a load of them once upon a time - I got fed up of finding damaged / rusted ones on my new to me ST1100. But having a ready supply seems to stop the problem - I still have most of them left !

Its an excellent idea to pinch them together a bit so that they cannot fall off when the bolt is removed.
I'm of the same sentiment. If you have any left that you won't be using, I'd be happy to take them off your hands!

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
First picture these may be the the rubber seat stoppers, item 16 in the seat fiche. Second picture, these may be the clips for the handlebar cover assembly, item 31 in the handlebar fiche. Third figure; there are several different 6mm bolts with shoulders on the air cleaner cover, side covers and lower cowl, so its hard to say.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I would guess the plastic pin thingy are from the upper side just below the seat. They kinda hold 2 pieces of plastic together, Right by the seat lock on the left side.

Picture #3 of the nut and bolt look familiar. There are 2 very similar looking nut and bolt sets that hold the plastic fairing together. They are somewhat difficult to access. By the top of the head light in the fairing. I used a 1/4" ratchet and about 6" extension. I don't remember if a hex key socket for the head or a socket for the nut. I know several guys the have left them out because of the difficulty installing them.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The rubber bumper looks like the one that fits the left Side Cover under the Centerstand Assist Handle.

The plastic clip looks to be aftermarket as it seems to me too long to be one of the OEMs. But if it is, if it has a cross-tip head on the screw it could be the one that fits the upper rear edge of the Side Cover to join the Seat Cowling (threw mine away in ‘95*); or the Fairing Pockets to the Upper Fairing (replaced mine with a 5mm Truss Screw and Nut Clip*). If it’s a push/pop pin it fits the Middle Fairing Inner Cover.

The hex-socket bolt with shoulder and nut joins the front top halves of the Upper Fairing beneath the Garnish.

I’m still not sure about the 6mm? bolts and broken tabs.

Edits*

John

Last edited:

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Re: Where do these two items go?

Back on the original pics of the two screws that are in two fairly flat plates:

I'm thinking about function, and they could serve to hold down or anchor cables.

The screws do not look like fairing hardware to me; but engine hardware might be completely different than fairing hardware.

(They do not seem to be OEM for holding either the throttle cables or the choke cable.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the second set of pictures, the second photo is attached, to the right. The shafts appear to be threaded, but the screw head is too small to be OEM. So they look like after market replacements.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The third or middle photo of the five is also attached, to the left. The pair of "shoulder screws with nuts" do look like the fastener that holds the two upper fairings together. But I think another pair of them holds each upper fairing to the top of the headlight. I have needed a 10 mm "ring wrench" to hold the nut when installing them, but did not ever have a problem re-installing them. EDIT: On second thought, they do not hold the uppers together; the heads look like the hex socket type; they hold the uppers to the top of the headlight, like I said.
Put the nut towards the rear end of the bike, and hold it with a 10 mm ring wrench, while turning the screw from the front with a hex bit.
Then repeat for the other side of the headlight/upper fairing.

Others have said similar things:
... Picture #3 of the nut and bolt look familiar. There are 2 very similar looking nut and bolt sets that hold the plastic fairing together. They are somewhat difficult to access. By the top of the head light in the fairing. I used a 1/4" ratchet and about 6" extension. I don't remember if a hex key socket for the head or a socket for the nut. I know several guys the have left them out because of the difficulty installing them.
... The plastic clip looks to be aftermarket as it seems to me too long to be one of the OEMs. ... I’m still not sure about the 6mm? bolts and broken tabs. ... John
I have found that the best place to "store" any screw or bolt is in the same hole that it came out of. And to say a screw is "6 mm" generally refers to the diameter of the threaded shaft.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom