Mileage at Failure?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I had an alternator fail on me I think it was at around 130-140k miles I am at 173k now and regularly take the bike an 2-3k mile rides.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
It reads Honda on the side of the bike doesn't it. If you have preformed all the services when needed, all you need is a destination. Ride and have fun. About two months ago on a return trip from Nashville after visiting my daughters I stop to assist another rider sitting on the side of the interstate. It was a brand new Harley on it's first ride. The rider was a little rough looking. Long hair and completely covered in tats. Sleeve less T shirt, a chrome skull cap that was sitting on the ground. He looked totally lost when I stopped. His battery was toast. Dead as a hammer. Not a glow in the headlight. He had no tools. I offered assistant and my tools which would be limited for a Harley. He needed a screw driver and a 10MM wrench he said. As I was digging the tools out knowing that Harley's are not metric I said, Are you sure. I do have a small adjustable wrench. Positive, I got the bike ready for sale when it came in he said. He worked at the local Harley dealer. He said, I have been doing this for years. I said, Do you stay pretty busy. Answer, Yes really busy. There was nothing he could do to get the bike cranked short of a new charging system and a fresh battery. As he was calling his girlfriend to bring a truck to haul him in, another guy pulled up with a truck pulling a trailer that had Harley all over the outside of it. It happen to be the owners son of the Harley shop that was passing by, his boss. After we got the bike loaded the rider did say thanks. He said I guess it is true you meet the nicest people on a Honda. Then his boss said come by the store, we can put you on a real motorcycle. I looked at him and said, really. I do not think so. Enjoy that 100,000 mile Honda. It is just getting broke in. And you know you still meet the nicest people on a Honda.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
It reads Honda on the side of the bike doesn't it. If you have preformed all the services when needed, all you need is a destination. Ride and have fun. About two months ago on a return trip from Nashville after visiting my daughters I stop to assist another rider sitting on the side of the interstate. It was a brand new Harley on it's first ride. The rider was a little rough looking. Long hair and completely covered in tats. Sleeve less T shirt, a chrome skull cap that was sitting on the ground. He looked totally lost when I stopped. His battery was toast. Dead as a hammer. Not a glow in the headlight. He had no tools. I offered assistant and my tools which would be limited for a Harley. He needed a screw driver and a 10MM wrench he said. As I was digging the tools out knowing that Harley's are not metric I said, Are you sure. I do have a small adjustable wrench. Positive, I got the bike ready for sale when it came in he said. He worked at the local Harley dealer. He said, I have been doing this for years. I said, Do you stay pretty busy. Answer, Yes really busy. There was nothing he could do to get the bike cranked short of a new charging system and a fresh battery. As he was calling his girlfriend to bring a truck to haul him in, another guy pulled up with a truck pulling a trailer that had Harley all over the outside of it. It happen to be the owners son of the Harley shop that was passing by, his boss. After we got the bike loaded the rider did say thanks. He said I guess it is true you meet the nicest people on a Honda. Then his boss said come by the store, we can put you on a real motorcycle. I looked at him and said, really. I do not think so. Enjoy that 100,000 mile Honda. It is just getting broke in. And you know you still meet the nicest people on a Honda.
I rescued a Harley rider on my first trip with my 1970 CB750. I passed a guy jumping up and down on his dresser's kickstarter and stopped to help. His petcock had vibrated off the fuel tank and he was simply out of gas. The valve had also fallen off the end of the fuel hose. We looked along the roadside for it but had no luck. So, I left my travel bag with his bike and we road two up to Columbus, MS. He talked one of the employees into helping. The guy agreed and drove back out to the bike with a gas can and a new petcock valve. We had him running again with no more than ten minutes work. And....no one had stolen my travel bag.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Then his boss said come by the store, we can put you on a real motorcycle.
Reminds me of an experience at a Harley dealer in the early '80s. We had two Harleys that rode with us, and about 6 UJMs. Before we got out of Orange County for a long weekend ride, both Harleys had mechanical issues. While waiting for the Harleys to be repaired one of the Harley guys in our group says "hey, while we're here why don't you guys take a look at some real motorcycles, and see if they'll take trade-ins". The Harley mechanic turned his head and quietly said something like "Don't be so proud, both of the Harleys are broken down, aren't they?" Couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Is there a current component failure at mileage thread?

I have an 05 with 90,000 miles on it. Although I've been very particular with maintenance, I'm beginning to feel uncertain about taking long trips on it. I know the common perception is (or at least was)... you'll get tired of it before it breaks, I am wondering if this topic has been surveyed in the recent past.

Sorry if my searching skills aren't up to snuff.

PopJack,

I've got 175k miles on my 2004 and would not hesitate taking it across the country today. I suppose there is a chance that the bike might break down and leave me stranded but I'd have to prepare for that contingency even if the bike were brand new.

Good luck in your journeys...

Top Bottom