Timing Marks slightly off - is this normal wear?

Bike
09 ST1300
Hi folks. I have an 09 with about 146000 kms on her. Seems to run well as always, just doing the annual tear down and maintenance items, fork seals, was going to re/re the swingarm to check bearings/ujoint for any signs of trouble. My issue is that I am checking the valve clearance, discovered that since the last shim change at 92000 kms I now have a few (9) that are at the edge of the spec and am planning to go in and change shims. Upon checking I noticed that on both my right and left cylinder banks the timing marks seem to be about 1/2 a tooth late behind crank rotation if you follow. They are certainly not a full tooth out as that would put the marks way off, but enough that I am suspecting some chain/guide/sprocket wear. Has anyone seen this as well and should I worry about replacing both chains/guides/sprockets?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would check that out again. What you describe is what I found when I first did mine. I deliberately put it one tooth out to see what it looked like - because from what I could see, spot on looked like half a tooth out. It was to do with not having a perfect line of sight - I was getting a parallax effect.

I put some photos on my own website here with some notes. I'm not going to try posting them here - just now, I'm on the laptop and don't have the originals to hand.

Click the images to see a better version - see if it similar to what you see. Note that one of the photos is when I deliberately set it to be one tooth out. Another is spot on but looking from slightly too high.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I can't comment specifically about the ST, but my VTR1000F Superhawk is just like that at 80,000km: with the crank mark aligned, the cams are off by about a half tooth. I understand this is solely due to camchain stretch, and no big deal. There is a chain guide on the straight-run side (which is the side that is responsible for exact timing), but I don't know whether wear in this part (which I assume would be easier to replace) would account for that.

OP
OP
gsforster
Bike
09 ST1300
I can't comment specifically about the ST, but my VTR1000F Superhawk is just like that at 80,000km: with the crank mark aligned, the cams are off by about a half tooth. I understand this is solely due to camchain stretch, and no big deal. There is a chain guide on the straight-run side (which is the side that is responsible for exact timing), but I don't know whether wear in this part (which I assume would be easier to replace) would account for that.
Sounds like you are describing exactly what I see. I even put a flat thin straight edge along cylinder head surface to reference the marks to. When I advance (counterclockwise) the crankshaft to bring the cam marks into exact alignment this is what I see through the crank pointer window. I hope the image is clear enough. IMG_1327.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Make sure when you stop rotating the engine that you were turning it in the normal running direction. If you miss the alignment, go around again, don't back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Sounds like you are describing exactly what I see. I even put a flat thin straight edge along cylinder head surface to reference the marks to. When I advance (counterclockwise) the crankshaft to bring the cam marks into exact alignment this is what I see through the crank pointer window. I hope the image is clear enough. IMG_1327.JPG

This is what my VTR cams look like, with the T1 mark exactly aligned. Short of replacing the chains I doubt there is much that I can or should do. The bike runs just fine.

VTR cams.jpg

OP
OP
gsforster
Bike
09 ST1300
This is what my VTR cams look like, with the T1 mark exactly aligned. Short of replacing the chains I doubt there is much that I can or should do. The bike runs just fine.

VTR cams.jpg
Bingo that is exactly what mine look like. Since both banks are out the exact same amount I'm chalking it up to chain wear. I don't think I'll worry about it since it took almost 100000 miles to wear that little bit and still seems to run fine. Thanks for the pic

Top Bottom