Riding in South America. specifically Peru?

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Any one been to South America Peru lately?? what do you know about the area? looking at possibly renting a bike and check out the county side in the area.. Internet research on the area looks like it could be great... Brushing up on my Spanish speaking...

Gracious!!

Bike
None
STOC #
I spent three weeks in southern Peru last November, and a couple of weeks in the north and in the Amazon region several years previously. I love the place, but both visits confirmed my belief that touring the country while sitting on the back of a bike would not be a healthy thing to do. Take the bus. PM me if you want any info.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I am contemplating a SA trip. What specifically are the factors that would keep you from riding in Peru?

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Two factors both related to personal safety.
Driving in the larger centres is taking your life in your hands.
I took a cab from the Hyatt in Lima to the airport. During the trip the driver exceeded 110 mph on city streets. We nearly hit two pedestrians.

The second is that I never felt safe unless I was in a public place.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Peru and would go back in a heartbeat. But I'd never do it on a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have no personal experience, but a couple of friends took 8 months to ride from the tipmof South America to the Arctic circle, starting around november 2014.

Their blog is still on-line at motonoodles.com - its not as easy to navigate as it was at the time, but if you use the archives down the right hand side and look at around nov 2014 that will be approx when they were in peru.

You can always drop him a line via the blog. They did a lot of research and preparation as they were out on a limb from the uk and shipped their GS over ahead of their arrival at Buenos Aires.

Last edited:
Bike
05 ST1300 abs
If you want to ride in South America I would recommend the Patagonia area of Chile. I did a 6 week 5,500 mile trip w/ a friend in 2005.

Chile is a safe country, with clean water & low health risks. The southern part of South America is some of the last unspoiled landscape on earth. Low population density, friendly, honest people & breathtaking scenery. It does get a lot of rainfall, so timing & appropriate gear is mandatory.

We rented bikes from http://www.motoaventura.cl/arriendos.php?lang=en Sonia & Roberto gave us a lot of travel information & arranged our documents so we could travel back & forth between Chile & Argentina....which can be somewhat of a hassle.

We wanted to avoid the main roads, visit lots of National Parks & do it on own our own schedule. About 50% of the trip was on dirt roads.

We started & finished in Osorno. We criss-crossed the Andes continental divide between Chile & Argentina down to Puerto Natales, Chile, then loaded the bikes onto the ferry ...3 day trip...to Puerto Montt. Ferry https://www.navimag.com/en-us/patagonian-fjords-route-puerto-montt-to-puerto-natales-south-of-chile

It was the trip of a lifetime.

If this is of interest to you & you would like more info, feel free to PM me.

I did a G Adventures tour of Ecuador/Peru in 2018. I didn't hike the Inca trail but there were some in my group that did. Your plan to acclimate is a good one. I didn't have much time in Cusco but I enjoyed the Inca Museum and watching a giant parade of children (it was some sort of private school festival). Drink lots of water on your first few days, it will help.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Adventure Rider Radio has a podcast, and there are many travelers interviewed over the months. Worth a listen, if you are considering riding to or in Peru and South America.
There also is a RAW podcast which is more geared to the "hard core" 'round the world motorcycle travelers. Some are married couples, some are non-married couples, and some are individuals.
Just like the Iron Butt website, there is a LOT of good advice, not from theory, not from magazine articles, but from the mouths of those riders who have BTDT.

Peru is still on my bucket list. I've recently begun planning the trip for next spring.I've heard so much about Peru's incredible landscapes, rich history, and vibrant culture, and I can't wait to experience it all firsthand. As I prepare for the journey, I'm researching the must-visit destinations, such as Machu Picchu, the Sacred Valley, and the bustling city of Cusco. I'm also looking forward to savoring authentic Peruvian cuisine and immersing myself in the local traditions and festivities. Just read some information about the Salkantay Trek and looks like that is exactly what i was looking for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom