Brake pads/rotors question

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I replaced the rear pads on my ST1300 yesterday morning. The pads were worn down to paper-thin. I knew that I should have replaced them a month or two ago when I replaced the front pads, since the rear pads always seem to wear out before the fronts on every bike that I've ever owned, however I didn't replace them all at the same time this time around. I checked everything out after replacement, and everything appears to function properly, including the SMC. Brakes work well. no drag, etc. Yes, I did clean the caliper pistons before reassembling with the new pads. One thing that I neglected to do, maybe because of my CRS problem, was to clean the rotor with brake parts cleaner and/or fine sandpaper. A friend suggested that I use some 200 grit wet or dry sandpaper on the rotor to remove any glaze that might be there. I've seen this suggestion before, but don't recall that I've ever done it. I probably have some recommended sandpaper somewhere out in my man cave, but am wondering if an Scotch-Brite pad followed up with some brake parts cleaner would work just as well. I know where the latter two items are in the cave.

Byron

STOC #
In over 100K miles I've never bothered to de-glaze the rotors. For me front pads have always worn faster and I've always replaced with EBC pads. Probably not worth your effort.

OP
OP
Don B
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
In over 100K miles I've never bothered to de-glaze the rotors. For me front pads have always worn faster and I've always replaced with EBC pads. Probably not worth your effort.
I'm inclined to agree with you. Another good friend of mine suggested that the new pads will seat properly within 200 miles, and I trust his judgement as I feel certain that he's been a rider and meticulous about maintenance longer than I have.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I always clean the disc rotors with methylated spirits after i have been working down there, and before inserting pads.

If they look or feel like they need it, i will rub the pad friction material across wet and dry paper laid on a flat surface - to get rid of surface road grime.

I've never felt the need to clean up the disc rotors in this way though - the discs will get a slight coating of rust if the bike has been out in the rain, and this tends to clean things up very nicely on the first few applications of the brakes. But if your brakes are feeling a little sluggish, i find that nothing cleans up the surfaces much better than a good run with plenty of hard braking in a downpour.

Re rear brake wear - i guess that is why the rear oem pads are 50% thicker than the fronts.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
But if your brakes are feeling a little sluggish, i find that nothing cleans up the surfaces much better than a good run with plenty of hard braking in a downpour.
John, I thought it was just me that the noticed this when it's raining. I just clean mine with soap and water and then use a drill bit to drill out the holes of all the crud.

Bike
2004 ST1300
John, I thought it was just me that the noticed this when it's raining. I just clean mine with soap and water and then use a drill bit to drill out the holes of all the crud.

Interesting. Apparently I don't use the brakes near aggressively enough as I've never had any build-up in the rotor holes.

Top Bottom