Flying with gear

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
My partner and I are flying to SFO the first week of December. I've rented an R1200RT from Eaglerider.

Wondering how people transport their gear: helmets, jackets, pants.
Do you pack it in a suitcase?
Helmets as carryon?
Would really appreciate any guidance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
My partner and I are flying to SFO the first week of December. I've rented an R1200RT from Eaglerider.

Wondering how people transport their gear: helmets, jackets, pants.
Do you pack it in a suitcase?
Helmets as carryon?
Would really appreciate any guidance!

Good question. I always rode the bike out there.
I would say pack it in a big heavy duty athletic bag that can be locked on the zipper or in a suitcase. You could wear the boots if you had to.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
When I rented a bike at a remote place, once, I shipped my gear out to the rental place ahead of my arrival.

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
I flew to Houston in Feb as a buy fly n ride back to Portland. If I recall I put my jacket and pants (Motoport so not small) as well as a RDL seat in a big duffel bag with a sleeping bag and pad and it was fine. I did a carry on with my helmet and cpap, the two things I couldn't do without if a bag was lost. I figured at worst I could buy a cheap jacket to get back home with if needed, but wouldn't know if my helmet took a hit in the luggage handling arena. It worked out well, I shipped any excess back home.
Sounds like a fun trip hope you have a good time!

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I flew up to Oregon to pickup my 2012, I bought a "cheap" footlocker from Walmart, and all my gear went into it.

I had a second suitcase that had my FARKLEs (including my RDL) in it that I had to put on the bike before riding it back down here! :D

I left both at my son's house! He uses the footlocker for his drones. The other one he drop it off at the Goodwill!

Since you'll be returning by fly, you don't have to worry about leaving them there...

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
My wife and I have flown several times with our gear. I put my boots, jacket, pants, and whatever else will fit (weight limit) in a checked duffel bag and then carry on my helmet and the leftovers in a back pack.
Caveat....every once in a while, an airline employee will stop you from taking your helmet as carry on since it will not fit into the baggage measuring device they have. Has only happened twice that I can remember so it is possible. When it did, I simply gatechecked my back pack.

There are occasions when my wife will ride with me and then fly home as I carry on riding. On those occasions, we will stop at WalMart and buy a cheap duffel bag for her riding gear and she then uses the top box liner bag as her carry on.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
When I flew to pick up my Wing, I used a duffle that met the carry on size limit. Overpants went in duffle with change of clothes. I called the airline with questions about my helmet and was told that if I held it in my lap or under my feet, it would be treated like a ladies purse and not be subject to baggage rules. All my electronics got stuffed in the helmet. I got some funny looks, but wore my boots and jacket, as it's easier to wear the jacket that to pack it. After boarding, the jacket goes in the overhead.

John

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've done it both ways - checked the helmet and carried it on. I prefer to carry it on since I've seen how bags get treated. I bought a nice helmet carry bag that allowed me to stuff other things in it and it looks like a piece of carryon luggage. Riding gear is a tough one because it takes up so much space. Wearing the jacket works if you can get the overhead space to put it in. Pulling the 'pads' out of the trousers allows you to compress them a lot and then you can use the pads to cushion your helmet.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I used Uncle Phil's idea of removing pads for packing. I put everything in a large suitcase, fit fine. Just hope they don't lose your luggage. I just had a buddy come over from Switzerland and they lost his suitcase, luckily he carried on his helmet, Everything else he had to buy or borrow for our 10 day ride.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The last time I flew to the U.K., I ended up checking everything and it came out okay. I always plan to have a couple of hours layover if there is a connecting flight out so my luggage should have time to make the same flight as me. Coming back, I don't worry about it. If you'll be on a short, direct flight, you could just wear your riding gear and carry on your helmet in a bag. A few years ago two Brits coming to ride with me wore their gear all the way over just to be sure they would have it - it was an 8 hour+ flight. ;-)

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
The one I like is to buy the Rubber Maid box, tub, whatever you call it, large enough to pack all of the necessary riding gear into, helmet optional. I prefer to carry that. Then, ship it UPS or FedEx to your destination; call Eagle Rider and make the arrangement. It's guaranteed delivery with a tracking number. Since you're out of country, though, customs will get involved, and who knows how long that will take.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
When I went to Europe for a 10 day MC tour, I bought this:
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63917?feat=904-GN3&page=rolling-adventure-duffle-extra-large&csp=f
Put all of my riding gear, including my helmet, which was in its own padded bag, it there. Also included was a two piece Aerostich, mesh jacket, mesh pants, boots, two pair of gloves, undergarments for hot and cool riding.
My regular clothes, gadgets and toiletries went into this:
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63913?feat=large duffel-SR0&page=adventure-duffle-large&csp=a
I then put the smaller bag into the big bag, so I only had one bag to check. And once landed in Barcelona, only one bag to pull around. On the tour, all I had to worry about was that one bag. Worked great. On the other hand, my buddy had three bags he was trying to keep up with, and lost one on a bus in Barcelona. Some Spaniard is now wearing his clothes and watching his Kindle.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I been traveling to Europe (usually direct to Munich or Zurich) 2 - 4 time a year for 20+ years, so I've experimented a bit. I usually pack for for 2 - 3 weeks per trip and for a variety of potential weather.

I pack all my motorcycle gear (including Motoport suit, boots, helmet, gloves, spare shoes, toilet bag, and most of my short and long sleeve t-shirt in a large soft-side rolling suitcase (you can fit soft stuff inside the helmet and the boots). I pack my underwear, spare pants, cold weather gear, rain gear, saddlebag liners and a light weight jacket for use in the airport/outside in a 20 liter rolling Eagle Creek duffle, which I can loop onto my bigger bag so they roll as one while walking with them. I take the Eagle Creek bag as a carry-on + a 14 liter satchel/messanger style bag for my documents, tablet, wires, chargers, and minor misc stuff. The stachel has a loop on the back that attaches to the handle of Eagle Creek for moving throught the airport and they can both stand upright on their own if I'm at a counter talking, table eating etc.

I've been lucky. I've never had any bags lost or any gear damaged, though it's been clear a couple of times that the bag was looked at. The whole set-up works well for me.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
UP - could you provide a photo of your helmet carry bag?

I have never run across one and I'd like to know what they look like and where to buy one.

Thanks!

Pete

Bike
R1200rt
Good question. I always rode the bike out there.
I would say pack it in a big heavy duty athletic bag that can be locked on the zipper or in a suitcase. You could wear the boots if you had to.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
don't lock it , TSA could break it open if they think they need to.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I will pack our gear in a suitcase. It's a direct flight so I have a high degree of confidence in it making it the destination.
We'll carry on our helmets as suggested.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
UP - could you provide a photo of your helmet carry bag?

I have never run across one and I'd like to know what they look like and where to buy one.

Thanks!

Pete
Here you go -

Attachments

Top Bottom