Flying with gear

Bike
2007 ST 1300
This past spring I flew into St. Louis from Columbus, Ohio as I was going to buy my 2007 ST1300 from a dealer in IL. Since I was staying over night at my sister's house in St. Louis and her husband was going to trailer the bike home for me, after I took a test ride. I wore my boots and jacket on the plane. I put an inexpensive helmet in a sport bag along with my riding gloves and a change of clothes. I carried the bag onto the plane and the flight attendant helped me with putting the bag in an over head bin. If I was going to take my Shoie helmet, I would have put it in a nice padded bag and checked it.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The problem that I have run up against on several occasions is weight. I could pack more into my checked bag but I am finding that the 50lb weight limit is the problem, not available volume. Here in the GWN, airlines charge as much as $100 for an overweight bag (100Euro for the return flight), limit of one checked bag unless you pay up to $150 for a second bag. I put my riding pants, jacket and boots in a large duffel and then pack underwear, base layers, socks, etc in with it until I hit the weight limit. The rest (including helmet and all electronics) goes into a 50 liter back pack and a messenger bag which I carry on.

On the return trip, if I have bought things, I may leave socks, underwear, etc there to make the weight limit. Cheaper to replace than to pay the "overage" fee.

Because of the weight issue, I sought out the lightest possible duffel bag (yet retaining structural integrity). This is what I found to work the best without spending HUGE money.

https://fortnine.ca/en/ogio-big-mouth-wheeled-bag

It is about 3 lbs lighter than other equivalent bags and that 3lbs is a big deal.

What I really need to do is learn to travel lighter but that is not that easy when you are facing potential temperature/rainfall variability. I am finding merino wool base layers and socks allow multiple day wearing without having to wash them. This cuts down on the amount of those things that I have to take. It is a work in progress.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
The problem that I have run up against on several occasions is weight. I could pack more into my checked bag but I am finding that the 50lb weight limit is the problem, not available volume. Here in the GWN, airlines charge as much as $100 for an overweight bag (100Euro for the return flight), limit of one checked bag unless you pay up to $150 for a second bag. I put my riding pants, jacket and boots in a large duffel and then pack underwear, base layers, socks, etc in with it until I hit the weight limit. The rest (including helmet and all electronics) goes into a 50 liter back pack and a messenger bag which I carry on.

On the return trip, if I have bought things, I may leave socks, underwear, etc there to make the weight limit. Cheaper to replace than to pay the "overage" fee.

Because of the weight issue, I sought out the lightest possible duffel bag (yet retaining structural integrity). This is what I found to work the best without spending HUGE money.

https://fortnine.ca/en/ogio-big-mouth-wheeled-bag

It is about 3 lbs lighter than other equivalent bags and that 3lbs is a big deal.

What I really need to do is learn to travel lighter but that is not that easy when you are facing potential temperature/rainfall variability. I am finding merino wool base layers and socks allow multiple day wearing without having to wash them. This cuts down on the amount of those things that I have to take. It is a work in progress.
Since I bought my Roadcrafter I have been experimenting with trying to bring less. I wear it from 25F to 113F. Have now bought LDComfort riding shorts and tights. Throw a t-shirt and shorts or jeans on over them if you want to. Wear them multiple days or if in hot weather. Wash them in the shower and put on the next day. Cools you while it dries. Cold weather I put on heated gear on. Jacket and gloves are fine down to the low 30s. Has cut down the packing tremendously.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
My partner and I are flying to SFO the first week of December. I've rented an R1200RT from Eaglerider.

Wondering how people transport their gear: helmets, jackets, pants.
Do you pack it in a suitcase?
Helmets as carryon?
Would really appreciate any guidance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me know when you arrive in California, as you'll only be about 41 miles away from OCD Enterprises :rolleyes:
Perhaps you could swing by and introduce yourself, and let me buy you lunch?
Igofar

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Let me know when you arrive in California, as you'll only be about 41 miles away from OCD Enterprises [emoji57]
Perhaps you could swing by and introduce yourself, and let me buy you lunch?
Igofar
Hey Larry that would be cool! We're staying in Palo Alto by Stanford U.

We fly in on Sunday evening and I pick up the RT Monday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Sliders pants don't take up any more room than a pair of jeans and are lined with kevlar and you can add pads to them. Hiking boots offer good protection and can be worn on the plane. Wear your jacket with a pair of leather gloves in your pockets. Carry on your helmet with a set of rain gear in side of it. I use a down vest under my jacket when it's really cold and it's really light and can be rolled up very small.

Bike
07 ST1300
I'm doing a bike rental down south for me and my wife late december. I planned on shipping ALL our gear UPS to the rental shop. Then just carry on's for the flight. Is this a bad idea or should I get 2 awesome way cool Ogio duffels and check them. I rarely..OK never check bags anymore.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I carry on the helmet and check the rest. Weigh your checked bag at home so you don't exceed the airline's limit... you may need to wear your boots or jacket on board.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I planned on shipping ALL our gear UPS to the rental shop. Then just carry on's for the flight.
Excellent idea. When I went to spend a couple weeks with friends in CA, and one week of skiing at Lake Tahoe, I shipped eveything ahead. Then shipped everything back when I left the left coast.

Top Bottom