2003 brake troubles

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Ok, been having issues with the bike since I tried to fix it.

2003 ABS needed new tires. Since home issues keep me from working on it on a regular basis, it took me a while to get to it. While I had the back wheel off, I figured I'd replace the rear pads. Well, the bolt/pin that the pads hang on is seized. My brother took it to the machine shop, and they couldn't get it out either. So, we just pulled the inside of the caliper off to get the pads swapped out. cleaned and greased everything well put it all back together and bleed the brakes.

Rode it about 5 miles before I realized there was a squealing noise. Seems to be coming from the back brake. Don't have time to look at it now, so take it home. About a week later, I start checking. Seems like it's dragging, so I suspect the SMC. Pull the SMC apart - everything looks almost new. cylinder moves in the bore just fine. So, reassemble, bleed the brakes and try again.

Well, doesn't seem the back brake is dragging anymore, but now I have a...hard to describe, but it's like the sound you get when a thin metal pics is hitting the brake rotors, and it's coming from the front. It's not constant, almost like th rotor is warped. So, I pull the left side, and again the pin is seized so I have to pull the caliper apart. Clean it up and try again. Still the same. So I pull the right side off and clean that up. Still the same. Not sure where to go now. Not sure where to look next. Just want to get it fixed so I can get it out of the carport.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I'm not certain what is happening, but did you check to see that the PAD SPRINGS and PAD RETAINERS were correctly installed (page 17-41 of the service manual)? The sound you describe reminds me of disc brake "tattle tales", that were designed to alert the driver to disc pads wearing out and the need for replacement.

If this were mine, I'd raise the front wheel high enough to rotate the wheel to see if I could reproduce the sound while rotating the wheel. That might help locate the area, and maybe the problem.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The rear pad squealing noise sounds like pad spring interfering with the disc rotor. Distinctly possible since the pads were put in from the side. Not entirely sure how you managed to get the caliper off and on with the pads in !

The stuck pad pin. You could really do with getting that out - it isn't going to get any better. That hex socket is quite soft metal and rounds off in an instant - the number of times mine have stuck. I used to use them a couple of times and then replace. But twice I couldn't get them out. Once I took it to the dealer and they welded a bar onto it to get it turning. It needed new seals after that. Another time, I filed a flat onto the pad pin and hammered an adjustable spanner with jaws set a fraction too tight to get the thing turning. I always wondered about the specified 18Nm for that pin. The metal it is made of doesn't seem to be up to it.

The front squeal could be the pad springs. Make sure that they at inserted the correct way round - they will physically fit the wrong way round, but it matters. The spring has two strips and the wider of the two is supposed to go on the side nearest the pistons. Or it could be that the disc bolts are hitting the caliper. (Not sure what you mean by 'thin metal pics')

If the latter it could be the axle that is not in properly, which means that the forks aren't in the correct position in relation to the wheel, and possibly the front caliper is catching on the disk rotor where it passes through the caliper. Check the spacers on each end of the axle. They are different sizes, but will physically fit on the wrong side.

See this link plus any others you may find on the topic.

The end of the left hand axle should be flush with the face on the fork leg, and the clearance between the disc rotor and the caliper should be at least 0.7mm on both sides.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
If the later it could be the axle that is not in properly, which means that the forks aren't in the correct position in relation to the wheel, and possibly the front caliper is catching on the disk rotor where it passes through the caliper. Check the spacers on each end of the axle.
This shows the axle alignment on the LEFT side of the fork. The image has the tire on the left and the fork on the right.
ST1300 axle alignment.jpg

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bet you took the calipers apart. Chances the pins have corroded themselves to the calipers.

By chance did you put some "brake grease" on the pins when you put them back together?

I would also look at the retaining springs to make sure one didn't "relocate" someplace where you don't want them.

My brother did the disassemble the calipers to change his pads so he didn't have to mess with the rear tire! :D
He didn't have any issues doing it that way.

OP
OP
Wahrsuul
Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
I've put the bike on the center stand and rotated the wheels, it's definitely the front that's making the noise. I didn't take the front calipers apart, just the SMC.

We pulled the "inside" of the rear caliper off to get the pads out. My brother works at a tool company (they make GearWrench among others) and gave it to the machine shop guys, but they couldn't get it out. I'd figured they'd drill and tap, but I guess not. We used white grease on the slide pins when putting it back together. The springs that sit on top of the pads didn't come out, so I have to assume they're in correctly.

Igofar has graciously offered to call and render assistance, but my wife is going in for knee surgery on Friday, so that's my main focus at the moment. Figured I'd post here and see if there is anything I need to check or any bone headed moves I might have made. I appreciate all the assistance so far, and hopefully I'll have time this weekend to look at it again.

OP
OP
Wahrsuul
Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Ok, Seems it wasn't a brake issue after all. It just coincided with doing the brakes. Soontobeone was close - seems the left side space on the front wheel was in backwards. Wasn't causing the brakes to drag, and the noise wasn't consistent so was a little harder to trace. Just happens that I took the front wheel off trying locate the sound, and found that. Rod it in to work this morning, and all seems well.

Top Bottom