Some odd jobs to be completed........

Bike
1998 ST1100
I have a 98 ST1100 with 89k miles on the clock. She is originally from the UK and an Ex Police Bike.

I have a few little issues I would like to sort out and have her running 100% i do have a bit of experience when maintaining and repairing bikes as my father is a Mechanic so i have learned a bit from him. However I will still list the issues in case I encounter some surprises.

1. Metal rattle from engine top when cold??
  2. Rear shock set to hard but still quiet soft on the corners (OEM Replacement or upgrade??)
  3. Indicators are temperamental and need to be held on some times (Contacts need cleaning??)
  4. Idle hard to set right (Clean cable or Carb issue??)
  5. On some occasions she is down on power and idles rough (Carb clean and balance or maybe plugs??)

Also tonight on the way home from work the clutch lever became very light and was biting the very second I released it, before hand it would bite half way.

Fluid was very low so maybe a leak but I have noticed the clutch gets less response as it warms up

Last edited:

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
A few more things for your list:
Replace the Brass swivel piece in the Clutch lever
Clean and lube the Shifter mechanism
Replace the final Drive oil
check and replace the radiator overflow tube
Get a set of the 3 O-rings for the Spline hub, replace next time you have the rear wheel off.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The rear shock on my 1991 is a bit soft for two-up riding....but only a problem on rough spots/dips. Considering replacing it with aftermarket shock.
If you're referring to turn signals, split the left switch housing, clean, lube with dielectric grease and reassemble.
Your items 4&5 sound like the carbs need to be cleaned/rebuilt....but check your primary and secondary air filters first.
Original clutch? Has the slave cylinder ever been rebuilt? I would add these to Slydynbye's suggestion on repair of the clutch lever pivot.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Metal rattle on the ST1100 could easily be the exhaust heat shields which are secured to the exhaust headers and front bend with 4 or 5 small bolts. The shield itself can crack. It tends to rattle at certain frequencies. Stick your hand up and give the shield a twang to find out.

89K miles - the timing belt is due for replacement at 90K.

Clutch - sounds like there's air in the fluid, so it isn't releasing the clutch properly, so it will bite as you release the lever. There's a drain hole at the 6 oclock position in the slave cylinder housing on the front of the engine. Make sure it is clear to let fluid out. If fluid comes out there may be a seal issue - especially if the fluid is going down. With the engine running, and bike on centre stand and in gear, pulling the clutch lever in should prevent the rear wheel from turning. If it doesn't the clutch isn't being released. First thing to do is flush through with fresh fluid and bleed.

Put carb cleaner in the petrol for a couple of tankfuls. It should clean out the fuel filter and sort out some running problems. It may not, of course, but it'd be the first thing to do. Also check the air filter - but it sounds like it needs a full engine service anyway.

My valves / cams used to rattle / tick a bit when the engine was first fired up, but it went away after it had bene running a couple of minutes.

OP
OP
PanPilot
Bike
1998 ST1100
Hi guys

Thank for the tips. I am not sure if the clutch is original. Being an ex police bike I presume it would have been replaced at some stage due to fast riding and the heavy equipment. Also the slave and master cylinders may have been done but I have no way of knowing. These I will check hopefully this weekend and see if there are any signs of blockage or leaks

As for the shock is there specific manufacturer / Model /type that is recommended or are most decent aftermarket shocks suitable?

Brass swivel and shiftier will also check this weekend.

I can do a full service myself however for carb work i will get a pro to do this as I want them cleaned and rebuilt correctly. i will throw some carb cleaner in for a few tanks and see if that help.

The turn signals should be an easy fix.

The rattle up top definitely sounds like it coming from the actual engine. I will check the exhaust shields and at least that will eliminate one variable

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Replace the Fuel filter before throwing any cleaner in there. DAMHIK

Race tech has been a sponsor at Westoc and they seem to know their stuff. I have a Progressive that I like. You will Definitely notice a major improvement over stock with either.

Bike
VStrom 650
+1 on the heatshields. Remove the side inspection covers and press on the shields one at a time to see if the rattle stops. They rot out or just deform with the heat. VERY HOT....
Re shock I went OEM at 50000 miles and the difference was instantly noticeable. Firmer and better damping. Only the black spring ABS is now available which is a better unit anyway.
Cleaning the indicator switch in your weather will drive you NUTS, I'm still on tablets. Change it for new at about £80.00 and it'll last for another 20 years. It's so nice knowing they've actually come on.
I'd be tempted to put some fuel cleaner through it, might just do the job. Or fill up with BP ultimate for half a dozen tanks, it really smooths things out.
The clutch has all been covered, +1 Heathy on most of it. Plus check the bushing.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
PanPilot
Bike
1998 ST1100
I will be tackling the bits on the bike this weekend.

I need a few new fairing bolts as a few are missing and some Hex Heads are damaged.

Is there a specfic code for these? I can match the thread not the head size

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I will be tackling the bits on the bike this weekend.

I need a few new fairing bolts as a few are missing and some Hex Heads are damaged.

Is there a specfic code for these? I can match the thread not the head size
Yes, each bolt has it's own 'number'. You should be able to find the part number for what you need here -

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/c/honda_motorcycle/parts

And you can probably get them from David Silver Spares or Fowlers in Bristol.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
If you remove & disassemble the clutch slave cylinder, you may be surprised at how "gunked-up" it is. May be well worth the effort. This may be part of your clutch problem. An easy job. If it's gunked up, just clean everything, polish the piston and inside bore with 600 grit wet or dry, and reassemble. You can even re-use the old seal probably if the lip looks OK.

Carb rubber boots may need replacing. When you remove the carbs for cleaning, check them for pliability. Before replacing the carbs, smear a light coating of silicone dielectric grease on the inside of the carb boots for a good seal and easy re-assembly. Check the carb diaphrams for pin holes & tears, also.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Before replacing the carbs, smear a light coating of silicone dielectric grease on the inside of the carb boots.
I picked up some 3M Silicone Paste, part no. 051135-08946, white 8 oz. can, red letters. Can says it lubricates weatherstripping, rubber bushings, brake calipers, electrical apparatus. One can will last a couple of lifetimes.

Not sure if this specific item is available on your side of the pond.

OP
OP
PanPilot
Bike
1998 ST1100
Thanks guys

I'll order some new bolts tonight

I'll definitely clean the slave cylinder....It's a pain when the clutch is acting up in traffic

Top Bottom