A polite 'Near Miss'

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's why O LOVE my headlight modulator! I haven't had any of those type close calls. And for those side street right turners, they see the headlight, often do a double take then slam on their brakes!

But just to set the record straight, if they aren't looking (like on their cellphones), they won't even see a tractor-trailer rig coming their way! :eek:4:

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Whoa!!! Now that's what I call a "pucker moment!"
Glad it was a miss rather than a hit and good on the driver for stopping. He was visibly shaken...no kidding!!

Patty

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's good to see both people being accountable for what could have been a much worse ending... great to see a total stranger actually caring about a mistake instead of driving off and not thinking twice.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mellow said:
It's good to see both people being accountable for what could have been a much worse ending... great to see a total stranger actually caring about a mistake instead of driving off and not thinking twice.
+2 That's a +1 on both counts.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, it's usually both sides flipping each other off! :eek:4:

No, I don't flip people off.... I just hit my :toot1::toot1::toot1::toot1::toot1: to wake them up! :D

Bike
2006 ST1300
Even WITH a headlight modulator, I have had this happen - although it makes it less likely. Just part of riding , I guess.

Impressive that he stopped and was actually showing remorse- most drivers around here look back and make haste to get out of the vicinity. I did follow one guy, who studiously ignored me, until I pulled up beside him in a supermarket lot. He then proceeded to tell me he had not even seen me, before I could get a word out. Since my wife was with me, ( and acts as my common sense alert), I gave him a bit of a talking to, and let it at that.

Hmm....might be time for a cam on the bike....

Bike
92 ST1100
Wow!.......that video reminded me of my almost identical T-bone accident 3summers ago, which totaled my 92ST and left me nearly totaled with a two- month hospital stay. Vinny and his wife even came by hospital here while I was in there:). Just watch for this type of situation, as even extra lites make NO difference. Unfortunately, cage drivers are mentally NOT watching for motorcycles, and motorcycle riders WILL be on the losing end....every time;).

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Somewhere here (or maybe another forum) is a post by a fireman that went something like "....big red truck, flashing lights, siren and they still pull out claiming that they didn't see it...."

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Somewhere here (or maybe another forum) is a post by a fireman that went something like "....big red truck, flashing lights, siren and they still pull out claiming that they didn't see it...."
I have seen that video, posted here. Simply unbelievable.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Even WITH a headlight modulator, I have had this happen - although it makes it less likely. Just part of riding , I guess.
You can't prepare for everything so no matter how well you prepare something can and sometimes does get past your defenses.

Flashing lights high viz jacket and helmet... Hard to know how effective these measures are.

So you saddle up and do the best you can and have fun doing it.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Of course I can't be sure, but I think these LED's on my bike increase my visibility. I don't notice it so much anymore, but when I first installed them, it seemed like motorists coming out of side streets paused just a moment longer before pulling out or not pulling out... almost as if they needed another moment to interpret what they saw.

superbright led.jpg

Top Bottom