Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
same as fj-09
Hmm.. okay, guess they just renamed it... Not really the same... restyled somewhat and then renamed... but since it looks like they dropped the fj-09 from the lineup it's a pretty obvious replacement. Odd name but I suppose fj-09 wasn't exactly all that marketable.. lol

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
One of the big reasons I did not look hard at the FJ-09 is that I saw several reviews and forum comments about riders hitting bumps and low curbs that knocked a large hole in the oil pan.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
also has ride modes, cruise control, heated grips, taller windshield, abs and centerstand all stock I believe etc. The Tracer name is the name they use in the rest of the world. The FJ name was just for the U.S. Now the 700's and 900's will go by Tracer like the rest of the planet.

My son has a 2016 FJ-09. Nice bike. He's got over 10,000 miles on it. No issues so far.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I bought a lightly used (1700 miles) red '15 FJ-09 back in May, and have really enjoyed it for blasting around and commuting to work. I've added about 5k to the odo. Mine came with heated grips and factory saddle bags, so it is quite similar to the Tracer GT.

The upgrades show that Yamaha is listening to their customers by addressing most of the issues that FJ-09 owners are harping about. Storage, suspension and cruise control. It will be interesting, price wise, to see where the Tracer GT lines up. Will the price be close to the FJR?

I will be interested in seeing if the cruise control can be retrofitted to the older models. Other upgrades, such as the slipper clutch on the newer models have already been fitted.

The drain plug issue mentioned above has also already been addressed with a revised oil pan on newer models. And, like any good forum bunch, mods have been developed to lower the likelihood of the bash, along with several different skid plates.

As far as a LD mount, there are a few things I'm addressing. Passenger pegs were designed for 13 year old contortionists. Stock seat is crap (going to get some flavor of custom soon), original windshield offers little coverage, and I would love another gallon of gas! And, of course, it's chain drive. But with a bit of work, I think it will be decent for longer rides.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Interesting bike but still a little too angular for me. On a smaller bike the angles are sharper and bug me. I'm surprised the look of the new GW appeals to me so much but it doesn't strike me as objectionably angular.

paulcb said:
Nice bike... but chain drive. :(
+1 It will take a very particular set of bike skills and features to make me overlook a chain drivetrain.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I could see one of these gracing the Man Cave at some point. They've done a good job updating the visuals over the previous model, but I agree that the current Yamaha design language is a bit too edgy. Personally I can't imagine looking back in 20 years time and saying, "remember that Yamaha Tracer 900? Now there was a great looking bike!"

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Very nice middle weight bike. It it was around two years ago it might be in my garage instead of my Triumph Tiger 800. It has everything I was looking for when I bought my Tiger. I have zero regrets buying it. And having a chain was not a deal breaker at all. You can change gear ratios to fit what you want. Dropping the the front sprocket one tooth made my Tiger put a big smile on my face every time I take it out to play.
Some might go a tooth bigger for lower RPM’s and better gas mileage. Or change the rear to match what you want. I like options.
My Tiger and this bike is over 200 pounds lighter than the ST’s. And the ST’s can’t touch them when the roads get tight and fun. But I still love my old outdated ST1300. It’s still my long distance road dog for now. A new RT or the new Goldwing might be in the near future.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Yes, Keith, chains are no big deal anymore. Most go 30,000 or more. If you keep the bike for 90,000 miles, you have replaced it twice and it's a quick, winter project.

Greg

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I like what I can see of it, need to see it on the showroom at a local dealer. I'm wondering what "...and a quick shifter—all standard" is?

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I've never felt the need to alter stock gearing, on my ST or my CB.

At 100,000 miles my shaft drive ST has required 5.2 oz of final drive fluid twice a year at a cost of $8 a year. At 100,000 miles my chain drive CB will be on it's 3rd set of chain and sprockets ( assuming 30k mi per set) at a cost of over $300 per set plus labor (I know because I just bought a set) plus all the chain lube and chain adjusting and wheel cleaning.

I'd prefer a shaft over a chain every single time. Don't imagine I would ever buy a bike meant for serious long distance riding with a chain, but that's just me. Wonder how many people would buy a chain drive car ( btw Honda used to make them )

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I sum it up this way... if I need panniers for a trip, I don't want to do that trip with a chain. I don't want to lube them every day and I don't want to replace them every year. For a second bike, maybe, but certainly not for my touring bike.

Edit, Oct 25, 2018: Funny, it's been about a year since I posted that and I've slowly come around to strongly considering a chain on a touring bike, specifically this Tracer 900GT. I've done some research and talked to quite a few riders that have toured with a chain, and maintaining one is really not that big of a deal. I'm willing to add a little maintenance and cost to lose 80-100 lbs of shaft drive.

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
also has ride modes, cruise control, heated grips, taller windshield, abs and centerstand all stock I believe etc.
When I was looking at the FJ-09 this spring it did not have heated grips, taller windscreen, centerstand or cruise control. Unless that has changed with the new model I would expect the same. There are some options though for these items. If you want large panniers after market is the only way. The OEM bags are dinky and to me not worth the bucks.

Chain vs Shaft. This bike is all about price point. Shaft drive are inherently more expensive to builds and drives the cost to consumer up. Maintenance is another story. I don't think the target market for this bike cares about the chain drive.

The other issue I found through research on this bike (FJ-09) is that it is a wheelie machine. To me that is a problem.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
When I was looking at the FJ-09 this spring it did not have heated grips, taller windscreen, centerstand or cruise control. Unless that has changed with the new model I would expect the same. There are some options though for these items. If you want large panniers after market is the only way. The OEM bags are dinky and to me not worth the bucks.

Chain vs Shaft. This bike is all about price point. Shaft drive are inherently more expensive to builds and drives the cost to consumer up. Maintenance is another story. I don't think the target market for this bike cares about the chain drive.

The other issue I found through research on this bike (FJ-09) is that it is a wheelie machine. To me that is a problem.
It looks like it's basically got the same electronics as the FJR1300 and Super Tenere now and also Traction control so that keeps the wheelies at bay... not that I would know anything about that.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
It looks like it's basically got the same electronics as the FJR1300 and Super Tenere now and also Traction control so that keeps the wheelies at bay... not that I would know anything about that.
This bike has all the things in a middle weight bike that I wanted when I bought my Triumph. It came down to a Tenere and the Triumph. I wanted a lighter bike. Not that there is anything wrong with the Tenere ES.
I’m glad to see more competition in the middle weight category. There is a reason why BMW, Ducati, Triumph and Yamaha are building these bikes. I wish Honda would get with the program.

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles

We are talking GT here. the GT comes with the things I mentioned. Plus upgraded suspension and factory hard bags. Not sure what all improvements the basic FJ-09 received for 2018.

The manufacturers used to put shaft drives on a lot of models down to 500cc.

Wheelies are controlled by the right wrist, my son has an FJ-09 he has put 10,000 miles on...no wheelies.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I sum it up this way... if I need panniers for a trip, I don't want to do that trip with a chain. I don't want to lube them every day and I don't want to replace them every year. For a second bike, maybe, but certainly not for my touring bike.
This is exactly how I feel. While chain technology may have improved markedly my love of them has not.

I've had all I want to do with them and except for the possible possibility of an around town-second bike I don't want to deal with them again.

I don't miss the days of cleaning lube off the spokes and rims or the adjusting with crude indices on the frame bits. The absence of chain noise is a blessing!

It would/will be the rare chain-drive bike that makes me acquiesce and even then it would not be for any kind of touring just a longish day ride and back home at most. My appreciation of retro only goes so far.

I'm not bagging on chain-drives. They're just not for me.

Bike
VStrom 650
ST GUI, fully understand your point of view, BUT, isn't there always a but.
Rode a CBF1000GT for a few years and did some big trips, longest about 3500 miles. I had the same thoughts about the chain, would I be adjusting it every other day, what about carrying lube? In reality after 3500 miles of alpine/autoroute two up touring the chain still didn't need adjusting and the white grease spray was about the size of the wife's lipstick.
I love the shaft on my ST, but I would never discount a chain driven back wheel after my own experience.
Anyway back to the subject in hand, that Yammy is gorgeous. Whether it's long enough for comfortable touring I'm not sure, but I know with my riding that chain would last 20 to 30000 miles with ease, they're not made of cheese anymore.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom