Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Saddle Bag and Givi Locks Interchangable?

Bike
    ST1300A '05
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: Saddle Bag and Givi Locks Interchangable?

I lost my Givi top box key and house keys a few years back. That left me with the one (spare) Givi key. One is s lonely number. Seeing that the lockset and keys from Givi are reasonably priced I thought it might be nice to buy 3 new locksets and replace the saddlebag locks and have 1 key for saddlebags and top box. Figured that this would work as I understood that Givi made the saddlebags for Honda. I could not get the Givi locksets to fit properly in the saddlebags... well, the one I attempted it on. Long and short of it is, I now have 2 spare locksets for the top box and 5 spare keys besides the one I always carry. I got paranoid and got a couple of extra ignition keys cut and low and behold, I broke one key off before I had it inserted all the way (thank applicable deity). I have my main keys, my spare keys and my spare spares.
    Jim
    STOC 5967
    ST1300A '05

SoCal Lane Splitting Commuter SupraSabre's Avatar
    Bike
    12/10/04/04 ST 1300s
    Tip Overs
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Phil View Post
    The difference on the ST1100s is you can't tell if the locks are locked or unlocked - unless you are familiar with the ST1100 or try to open the latch.
    Nope, not going there! I can't tell you how many times I've taken off for my daily commute and forgot to lock the topcase. (On the ST1300, you can close it and leave the latch over the locking area, (without locking it.) Once, I had it pop open and luckily I had someone behind me to tell me it was open.

There again, if my saddlebags didn't have to be locked, I would forget to lock them before leaving and it would be my luck to have them pop open without knowing it.

So, I like how the saddlebags and topcase are for the ST1300!
    Bob - STOC 5901
    2012 ST1300 -14,000 miles, 2010 - 65,000 miles , 2006 -Basketcase
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - 37,000 -needs waterpump & #2 35,000 miles
    2005 ST1300 - 174,300 miles - sold

Bike
    1991 SSMST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

In 190K miles, including a trip to the Arctic Circle, with latched but unlocked ST1100 panniers and Hondaline topcases, I’ve never had one unlatch, nor have I ever heard of one. FWIW

John
    John OoSTerhuis, STOC 1058, 1991 SSMST1100 - The Grey GhOOST (now @ 190K)
    Multi-task: check out: ST-Riders - The LiST
    My tech/maint/service pictures: link

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2018 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by John OoSTerhuis View Post
    In 190K miles, including a trip to the Arctic Circle, with latched but unlocked ST1100 panniers and Hondaline topcases, I’ve never had one unlatch, nor have I ever heard of one. FWIW

John
    And I'll add over 300,000+ miles on my ST1100s. my experience has been the same as John's!

97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +114,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +75,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

Bike
    ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by John OoSTerhuis View Post

John
    I never leave my panniers unlocked unless I'm loading/unloading something from them. Likewise, I never leave my Givi unlocked either, but leave the key in the lock when the bike is secured in my garage or when I'm riding it, as shown in the attached photo. The three attached photos show my solution to the "problem" that I've never thought of as such, since it's one of those things that can easily have a practical and workable solution if given a little thought. By the way, it occurred to me sometime ago to lock the ignition key in the trunk and only have to remove and carry that key in my pocket when I park the bike and leave it unattended when stopping for breakfast or lunch or whatever. Using the key from the ignition to get to the spare key when needed is no problem, and the key can be returned to the locking compartment without a second key to lock it, since a key is only required to open the compartment, not to close and lock it. I started carrying a spare ignition key in my wallet long before I even thought of this. I didn't include a photo of my wallet just in case someone reading this post might recognize it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Givi key.jpg   20180112_174209.jpg   20180112_174031.jpg  

The Older I Get ... The Better I Was

'03 ST1300A (The one with the faST black wheels)

Bike
    ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

By the way, there is no danger of the Givi key falling out on its own if left oriented as shown, since it can only be removed when oriented vertically.

+ New Posts
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234